UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Let's Talk Silver Age Comics!

hellpop

Keeping his adoptive parents alive was the real genius stroke in that department. More than anything else, that keeps him "human".

You both make good points. I think that's what makes Morrison's All-Star book ring so true; he's hit the perfect balance between his identities.

Anyway, bringing this a bit back to the theme of this thread: anyone ever read the ancillary SA Superman books, Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen? I have to say, I just don't have the stomach for them. I've never cared for Jimmy much as a character, and I think he's one of the Superman elements that they've struggled the most to find a place in modern comics.

I've read Kirby's run on Jimmy Olsen, the New Gods stuff and such. Which was good stuff IF you like pure Jack Kirby weirdness. Not everyone does. Somehow, it's just hard to conceive that these two actually had large enough followings to warrant their own title, yet Dick Grayson didn't get his own book until relatively recently. >shrug<

Anyway, bringing this a bit back to the theme of this thread: anyone ever read the ancillary SA Superman books, Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen? I have to say, I just don't have the stomach for them. I've never cared for Jimmy much as a character, and I think he's one of the Superman elements that they've struggled the most to find a place in modern comics.

Nick Spencer had a great Jimmy Olsen one-shot last year, where he basically wrote it as Jimmy in the modern DCU but still having all his wacky SA adventures. It was really fun and funny, but I agree he doesn't really work that well when you plug him into super-serious modern stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

Sgt. Rock fan, eh Ninja Mate? Those are some beautiful covers. Are the all Kubert?

I suppose these are more Bronze Age, being '79 and '80, but my LCS found these in his stockroom in AMAZING condition, and i am now the proud owner of two of my Holy Grails:

2quhwzk.jpg

I am SO very excited; plan to have them graded and presented on my shelf for all to see. :):lol:

I just saw Chris Claremont at Columbia University a few weeks ago (and you can read all about it here) and he was just delightful. I think I've made it clear that I'm not a big X-guy, but these are very good comics; the death of Phoenix issue is a genuinely moving comic book. Claremont, by the way, is still mad a John Byrne for suggesting to Shooter they bring her back from the dead. At the panel, he wouldn't even say his name.

Edited by hellpop

I suppose these are more Bronze Age, being '79 and '80, but my LCS found these in his stockroom in AMAZING condition, and i am now the proud owner of two of my Holy Grails:

2quhwzk.jpg

I am SO very excited; plan to have them graded and presented on my shelf for all to see. :):lol:

One of my two favorite comic runs of all time (up there with the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans run), yet I've only got a handful of the Claremont/Byrne X-Men collaboration. One of these days. . .

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread (it's my thread, so I can do that if I want) to share a story....

I was in one of my LCBS the other day, looking at the back issues on their wall. Now, this is one of those good stores that actually have VALUABLE comics on their walls, and not Booster Gold #1 or some Grimm's Fairy Tales variant. Anyway, they had some nice stuff, when something caught my eye: Fantastic Four #1. I repeat: FANTASTIC FOUR #1. FOR $120.

Couldn't be right, right? So I asked the girl there if she could get it down, and to make sure that it was actually FF#1. I figured it must be a reprint, and she said it wasn't. But she let me take a look, and... yeah, reprint. The Golden Records reprint, from 1966, which I see still carries a high price tag, but that's still a lot of money to pay for a reprint, so I passed.

But for a minute there... I thought I was going to buy FF#1. For a very good price, even if I'd have to explain to my wife why I spent that much money. She would have understood, bless her. The feeling must have been like getting five numbers on your lottery ticket but missing the sixth. Still, pretty cool nonetheless.