UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

how do YOU collect minimates

pyrot53

I just thought id start this. I was wondering HOW people collect minimates like do you try to get a full team. Or do you just get whatever you see or do youy collect your favorites.

Me personally I collect teams Im tryin on new avenger/avengers ultimate x men, classic x men, movie fantastic four,spiderman villians and marvel badys (balde punisher and ghostrider) aswell as i have to street fighter guys.

Certain lines, I'll get every figure, including variations. So, LOTR & BSG, I'll get every single one.

Other lines, I'll only get what I like. I'm working on getting one of each Marvel character, but not every single different costume or variation. For example, since I've got Assault Punisher, I don't need the earlier exclusive. And I've already got way too many Things & Wolverines!

I'm not that into DC comics, so I'm only getting the more recognizable characters. Superman? Sure! Booster Gold? I'll pass.

I'll also pass on exclusives that don't really belong to any franchise - different colored blanks, silver Spider-Man, etc.

I guess that means I'm picky!

What with the various amount of figures i've got around the place and boxed away i generally now try to stick to only buying figures that i really like the look of or if they are favourite characters of mine. Although i might have to break that rule when the BSG line comes out...

As far as the comic waves go I'm the same as Ady. I've got to have em all. Rock mates don't interest me. LOTR I don't have a complete set, I'm waiting on Sauron, and I can probably get Elrond and the Elven Warriors at my leisure.

I'm going for a full set of Modern BSG but passing on classic.

I think my Star Wars collection is going to take a back seat to my Mates collection. I just can't afford both. By the way Bruticus, that's a very cool sig you've got going there mate.

I started by just getting the characters that i wanted like Spidey ,Kirk & Ozzy.

But now, as far as the comic minimates go anyway, i'm a fully fledged plastic crack addict. (yes, even the shit ones like Mariko :P )

I think my Star Wars collection is going to take a back seat to my Mates collection. I just can't afford both. By the way Bruticus, that's a very cool sig you've got going there mate.

My Clone Trooper collection has unfortunately taken a back seat as it goes because for the moment things like rent and food have to come first :P

And thanks, i was just messing around with the idea for a new sig one night and created that. I got the pictures here from his Star Wars Pages and you can go here for his superheroes...

The guy does some pretty amazing work, especially his Marvel and Star Wars stuff *nod*

i go to the only store in our country that sells them and hope they get new series cause they only have the serie with captain amerika in them and they have lotr minimates :(

I try to get what ever I can find cheap. I really don't do variants unless I luck into them. I usually get most when they're available as a single figure cheap on eBay or through trades. Just yesterday I went to a comic shop to get the Beast/Kitty pack and couldn't bring myself to pay $9+tax for them. The price of figures in general is ridiculous (mostly) and I can't justify it when in a few months they will probably be cheaper somewhere.

How do I collect? I'm not sure collect is the appropriate word -- maybe compulsively purchase would be better. My collection started of with a few clearance pieces here and there, mostly at Target. They were interesting, but since no one else around here (Twin Falls, Idaho) carries them, I ended up on the Internet to expand my collection. Because of Ebay and online stores I managed to pick up dozens more that either were really important to me, or just too cheap to pass up. To date I have 'mates from Marvel, C3, LOTR, Street Fighter, Indimates, Dark Angel, etc. The only ones I haven't really gone after are the Star Trek ones and the Rock characters.

I started out just getting the marvel figs I liked and that turned into wanting all the marvel characters (variants don't really thrill me) and now its also evolved into picking up figs for customs and well its gotten out of control but I love em so.... I have to admit I feel lucky with these new waves my LCS sells them for a cool 6.99 just a dollar bump over target :D

• 3 weeks later...

this took a while and the pictures are crap but after seeing everyones displays it made me miss having a "trophy case" in the aptartment the case holds my favorites most alternate costumes and such are in a compartmented tupperware a meager collection compared to the rest but it makes me happy (ran out of risers near the bottom there)

minis_2.jpg

minis_4.jpg

minis_1.jpg

minis_3.jpg

the three tierd riser is left over from my micronauts days and the small boxes came from the container store many moons ago (I think) I think they were like holders for napkins or toothpicks or some silliness

thanks by the way ;)

At one point I had every minimate ever made except the gold & silver Spidey's, both loose and MIB, plus every package variation.

I sold/traded/gave away nearly all my 3"ers a while back. I still have a few. I still collect moth loose & MIB, but I really only collect the lines I like. I have Marvel, C3/DCD, LOTR, blanks/promos, & Speed Racer.