UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pricing a custom

Shamrock

There was a similar thread to this a while back, but I think this one is from a different enough perspective to stand on its own.

So I've been thinking and thinking about this, and I decided that no amount of thinking on my part is going to help me come up with an answer. What the heck should I charge for a custom Minimate? Here's my current structure:

A basic custom, all paint no sculpting runs $15, shipped.

The prices raises to $20-$25 once you add sculpting based on the complexity. Difficult paint apps could also call for a rise in price.

Based on both Ebay and what I've seen around here, this is low. I intentionally kept it low back when I started commissions because I thought the hand painted nature of my customs made them look less authentic than decal based customs as my final products often have a texture from the paint, it's hard to describe. I've come to terms that this doesn't actually bother anyone and is actually one of the reasons people might choose to buy a custom from me.

So that leaves me where I am now. What is a custom worth?

Gotta be at least $3.50 to cover the Minimate.

How should I factor in cost of materials?

Shipping?

Group rates for large orders?

Do the characters matter?

I have a very difficult time placing a value on my work, so my questions are:

Customizers, how do you determine your costs for commissions?

Customers, how much do you think is reasonable to pay for a custom?

Edited by Shamrock

Whilst i couldnt comment on actuql price, if you're using existing unique parts, i would aways ask the commissionee to provide those parts.

I think you may have missed a golden rule... Time is money. I'd personally charge depending on how long the mate would take. I know it can be hard to pinpoint this before had, but i've pretty much got it sussed now, and im sure you've made far more of the little fellas than I

For the few customs I actually did sell I charged the same amount of money as you said: 15 for a more basic custom and up to 25 for am more complex one. I didn't include shipping because I always had to send them overseas. I initially talked to Luke when I first sold a custom to get this kind of a pay scale.

But that's a good idea for a thread. I'm curious what other people say.

I start at $30 for a 2" mate, $35 for a 2.5", and $40 for a 3" mate. If the character requires some sculpting or body modifications, I will add $5. If the character requires a LOT of sculpting or accessories, I will add $10. Most of the customs I do these days end up being $35. If someone requests an easy custom that I have already made in the past, I will go down to $25. These prices factor in the time and all materials required. For custom packaging I charge $45.

I was going to chime in and explain how you've undersold yourself for your work, but Luke beat me to it, I think anyone who respects the time and effort needed to make a custom, so long as they can't do the custom themselves will be willing to pay good money for them.

I've personally paid out well in the past on custom figures, the desired result obviously is in favour of the buyer in the sense that they are getting a figure they wouldn't normally be able to get at retail or from DST, in some cases you might need to go higher than your originally set price, especially if you're having to track down loose minimate parts to complete the figure before painting.

Indeed, i'd imagine there are alot of factors to take into account before pricing your minimate customs, what i will say is this, communication on a deal, on any deal really between buyer and seller is vital, always make sure they are fully aware of the costs, it then gives them the chance to make a decision on whats best for them, i think you're spot on from the beginning by setting a baseline price for a painted minimate, with the option then of adding additional weapons, accesories or sculpting.

This is a good thread really, probably should be stickied for future customizers. :)

Rich

Thanks for the input everyone! I've updated the title to be more officially because it seems like this is going to be helpful for me people than just me.

I think I've got a good idea for what I want to do in the future.

I was planning on timing how long it takes me to finish the current custom I'm working on, but then I remembered I was making something crazy complicated (think Big Daddy) so I'll be timing just the painting. Hopefully that will give me an idea of a good average time to add into the calculation.