UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimate Subscription

MST3KFan

So I just got to thinking here... Mattel has the Masters of the Universe and Voltron as subscription toylines. Hasbro will be unleashing a G.I.Joe version soon as well...

If DST were to join in on this whole 'toy subscription' thing, would you guys go for it? Obviously I don't work for DST and can't speak for them, but if this were to somehow happen...

I just notice with Hasbro's G.I.Joe subscription coming up that the figures they've shown for the most part are fan demanded characters (Cover Girl, Jinx, Big Boa). Ones people have wanted to see new figures of for a long time along with some people may not have had interest in so much.

People on here are always asking about new Marvel Minimates of characters (ex: Kang, Wrecking Crew) that aren't getting put into the line...this would be a pretty good idea for how to get those desired, yet apparently not 'good enough for retail shelves' figures people have long wanted.

What say you fellow MM fans?

It's been brought up many times in the past, and DST has always declined the idea. It takes a lot of manpower to run something like this; it's not simply a matter of "wow, lots of people say they want to give us their money." It's essentially creating a new business attached to the current one, and DST as a company is comparatively tiny next to Hasbro and Mattel.

It's been brought up many times in the past, and DST has always declined the idea. It takes a lot of manpower to run something like this; it's not simply a matter of "wow, lots of people say they want to give us their money." It's essentially creating a new business attached to the current one, and DST as a company is comparatively tiny next to Hasbro and Mattel.

I figured. I'd just think it was an interesting thought given how so many toylines are going 'subscription' lately. Would be cool if a few exclusive boxset thru DST themselves happened though.

What Mystery said, plus

- you actually got a guarenteed number of figures per year, unlike MotU's "subscription" where you pay for the privalage of racing your fellow subscribers in a mad dash for the too small supply. If I pay a premium fee, I expect premium service.

- to that end, if you, like Mystery, want multiples of a figure, you should specify that up front. Maybe, there's an additional charge up front for buying multiples. Like maybe $40 for the subscription, and $20 per additional set of figures. (yes I know that's too low a price, but this just an example) That way if DST is not stuck with extra figures and doesn't feel they are losing money on the deal.

No. This has been brought up and shot down before, both by us and by DST. I'm glad. I'd hate for it to even resemble Mattel.

What IS a good idea IMHO is a points system, like the old GI Joe and Robot points. Stick them on the posters/info cards, advertise that if you send in 10 of them you get your choice of 3 exclusive Minimate packs, just pay $5.99 S&H. DST doesn't have to make that many, we spend just as much as a regular two pack, and everyone is happy. This idea requires more looking into!

While I wouldn't be opposed to paying a premium for characters that might not otherwise get made, I feel that, among other problems that it creates, a subscription service would add an extra layer of elitism that I'd rather not deal with. It could easily become the variant-redone debate on crack. Minimates are such an expansive line, what happens when a subscription character gets revisited for a regular release? If we're already seeing somewhat high secondary market values on regular releases, what happens when the primary market starts out inflated for a subscription release? Who picks the subscription characters? Then there's the opportunity cost. If designers and factories are making subscription figures, they are by nature not making something for the regular line, so we'd be giving up a little more than the surface subscription fee. So... for the above reasons and more, I'm inclined to be against it.

That said, when I was a kid, I thought mail-away figures were the coolest ever...

What Mystery said, plus

- you actually got a guarenteed number of figures per year, unlike MotU's "subscription" where you pay for the privalage of racing your fellow subscribers in a mad dash for the too small supply. If I pay a premium fee, I expect premium service.

- to that end, if you, like Mystery, want multiples of a figure, you should specify that up front. Maybe, there's an additional charge up front for buying multiples. Like maybe $40 for the subscription, and $20 per additional set of figures. (yes I know that's too low a price, but this just an example) That way if DST is not stuck with extra figures and doesn't feel they are losing money on the deal.

Well, again, using Hasbro and the G.I.Joe as an example... They have shown all but one of the 13 figures they're offering for the subscription next year, wanting to keep the 13th figure a surprise, so compared to Mattel that is a nice thing they've done for those on the fence on if they're going to jump on their sub. Though as others have pointed out, the subscriptions are pricey. I don't recall the price for the G.I.joe sub per figure or anything, but I know it was a bit more than retail would be.

Ah, well...

I'm up for it if it means that I could get retail figures easier, but I'm not a big fan of exclusive content.

I know Mattel and other toy companies have it, Hasbro has it with the G.I.Joe club and the Transformers club, but other than that I think it caters to this exclusivity theme that's pretty much impossible to do with a line like Minimates. I mean, if they do a subscription only Kang (who uses a basic mold), what's to stop people from making their own custom Kang?

One of the things that make Minimates so great is the fact that anyone with some spare time can make a custom, unlike the Transformers or G.I.Joe customs that require extensive hours. Besides, Mattel is doing that because their sales stink.

There are models that work, there are models that don't.

All I'm saying is that if a model was worked out that would be fair and reasonable, and get us some truely obscure and desired minimates, then I'd be interested in the idea.

I would, ONLY if it meant no sacrifice in quality or quantity of regular minimate releases. I don't want to spread DST too thin to where any area is compromised.

Mail-aways are definitely the best choice! put it in a zip-lock bag, require UPC barcodes, and change the figure quarterly or twice a year if that's too much for DST. Allow for ANY barcode from ANY minimate set to help clear out TRU pegwarmers!! (double points for X-Men First Class packs :tongue: ) $2.99-$3.99 for S&H should cover costs and sounds fair. It would basically be like the free promos they give out at SDCC, only it would reach a larger audience and the costs should be covered. IF Marvel won't allow it, use a different license like Zombies, Pirates, etc. Place a sticker on the outside of every package to highlight the mail-away with a larger form/insert inside.

DST could easily make figures with no new tooling required. And if it helps with sales AND helps clear pegwarmers, even better!! Plus, who doesn't love getting minimate goodness in the mail? And, make sure it's available to other countries if possible.

From a logistic standpoint I'm sure that a subscription service would be a nightmare for Diamond. Ditto for a mail away figure. But man, I remember the mail away figures for G.I. Joe when I was growing up. I can still remember seeing the Duke mail away figure at the time, and talking my parents into buying me the Hiss Tank just so I could have enough Flag points to mail away for him immediately....

So from a pure nostalgic standpoint, I'm all for a mail offer Minimate. :)

• 2 weeks later...