UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Cowboys and Aliens

Trekker 42

Normally, cynical bastard that I am, I don't expect much from unproven properties.

This was an exception. Behind HP7P2 this was the movie I was most anticipating this summer. And, get this, it actually managed to deliver much more than most reviews said. If you're expecting the Dark Knight with a movie called Cowboys and Aliens, well f**k you because you just plain can't. However this movie managed to have some good characters (and Olivia Wilde. Who sucked. And not literally.) and some awesome fight scenes.

However above that what impressed me were the effects. Not the digital effects. No, I mean the animatronics. The explosions that actually happened on set. There were a good number of practical effects. And they looked nice.

This is not a movie to pay full price on. Not in the slightest. But a matinee? Oh hell yeah. Go see this movie. It's just a lot of fun to watch.

Yeah it was enjoyable. I didn't like the "plot twist", I thought that was annyoing and stupid, but still all in all a good action movie. The aliens had a cool design too!

God that plot twist just pissed me off. I mean seriously PISSED ME OFF. It was unnecessary to the point of absolute irritation. In fact that plot twist alone lowered my opinion of the movie. f**king stupid... But otherwise it kicked ass. I want to see these characters fighting something else someday. Like Werewolves.

Fun thing I noticed: Take Jake Lonergan (Daniel Craig) and unbutton his vest. See if the clothes look familiar then.

If you don't see it, google an image of

Han Solo

and see if you can see the resemblance then.

And his hat behaves like a certain fedora everyone knows in that he keeps losing it in crazy situations and he always managed to recover it.

This movie got so much hype and I think my expectations were too high. While I enjoyed the movie I thought it was good, not great. It did have some great effects and it was a fun movie but I would agree that it only deserves matinee price and man do I regret seeing it at midnight!

This movie got so much hype and I think my expectations were too high. While I enjoyed the movie I thought it was good, not great. It did have some great effects and it was a fun movie but I would agree that it only deserves matinee price and man do I regret seeing it at midnight!

Oh I would have loved to see this movie at midnight. I've gotten really good crowds for midnight showings of movies and this movie would have been very much improved with a good crowd of people reacting to stuff like there was at Potter and Pirates. The Monday daytime crowd didn't pack the thrills a bunch of nerds would have.

The only excitement I saw at my midnight showing was a bunch of people wearing cowboy boots and hats.

My favorite was the kid who brought a force fx lightsaber to the midnight showing of Captain America and kept running around the front of the theater slashing and pretend fighting with it :wacko:

Because I live with my mother-in-law (not for much longer thank goodness) we have taken advantage of going to midnight movies since we just put the kids to bed and there is an adult in the house if they wake up and need something. This keeps us from having to find a babysitter in the evenings or the middle of the day. So we saw midnight movies this year for

Thor

X-Men First Class

Captain America

Green Lantern

Super 8

Cowboys and Aliens

Transformers Dark of the Moon