UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Does anyone know anything about antique liqueur?

TM2 Dinobot

So my parents have an antique bottle of Goldwasser liqueur from 1899. Does anyone know anything about apprasing this? Apparently my dad called Christie's and Sothebys, and they won't mess with it. And Specs in town couldn't reccomend anyone. Antiques Roadshow doesn't deal in booze. The only lead my dad did get was from a guy who said he'd buy it for $300, because dad can't sell it without a liquor license. Yeah, right.

Interesting story. My Great Grandfather (who may or may not have been a CIA opperative) was working in Nicaragua. He received the bottle as a gift from a ship's captain, who received the bottle as payment for smuggling someone out of Germany in WWII. That's the story my parents have anyways.

If anyone has any ideas on getting this thing appraised, I'm all open. If not, that's okay too. Looks like a lot of people on the Gdansk site are in the same boat as me.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wine-1615/2009/5/Old-bottle-der-Lachs.htm

The internet isnt very helpful on this one, the above link refers to a 1930s one with a response of "older" ones (such as yours) selling for $300-$400 a lot of sites seem to refer to there not really been a market for this kind of thing and its one of those "some people will pay a fortune, good look finding one" kind of things.

Theres some hints towards the fact that people might be more interested in the bottle than the booze, so if its a pretty bottle perhaps look into antique bottle collectors?

(Annoyingly google keeps sending me to some thread on a Minimates Multiverse where some guy is asking an identical question :D )

"Liqueurs?" said the attractive waitress .

"I'd love that" I replied :whistling:

Breweriana is very popular in the UK,Guinness stuff fetching big money....why not try the manufacturer to see if they'd be interested.....or the CIA :thumbsup:

It's fascinating to see that this stuff has real gold in it unlike the beer I used to drink as a lad :unsure:http://www.asbestoslegaljournal.com/exposure-to-asbestos/asbestos-beer-what-do-they-have-in-common/

Yeah, I did find an auction in Romania or someplace like that where the empty bottle sold for like $500 USD. Let me put it like this. There's an ounce of gold in there. At this point I'm thinking sell the gold, drink the booze and pawn the bottle.

Also, while I appreciate the help, I feel kinda funny people knowing my parents have this, mainly cause other relatives want it and I'm a paranoid lugnut. Discretion is appreciated.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

It's something like 1.2oz. Unless they mean European/Martian ounces. Or liquid. IDK.

Thanks for the offer Ady. I'd like to leave this up for a little while, see if anyone knows anything. Though if BHM is stumped, I have little hope. Once Bob and NR show up and say "I dun know" then I know I'm out of luck.

You may try some Jewish museums or sites. It's an interesting artifact and may be worth a lot to any descendants of the giver or as a piece in an exhibit. Your great grandfather was likely in the precursor to the CIA, the OSS. If you can establish that with documentation you may have a real find on your hands. Liquor laws may also be subject to loopholes like guns. For example, it is legal in California to carry an unconcealed firearm if the gun is over 100 years old. So you may legally walk around with a fully functioning 1899 Colt holstered on your hip. Not advisable but my point is don't take legal advice from anyone but a legal expert in the field.

I would advise against drinking until a toxicology test is performed. You have no idea what may have leached into the liquor over the years from the bottle and or seal.

The value of the bottle may have more to do with the historical circumstances by which it was acquired than anything else.

I would advise against drinking until a toxicology test is performed. You have no idea what may have leached into the liquor over the years from the bottle and or seal.

Just let Dino drink the stuff & then perform the the toxicology test on him .....thankfully whatever they find won't be absolutely covered in brains :biggrin:

I'm a tad concerned about the seal ,they stink of fish & you can't trust them ......a bit like barmaids.

Just let Dino drink the stuff & then perform the the toxicology test on him .....thankfully whatever they find won't be absolutely covered in brains :biggrin:

I'm a tad concerned about the seal ,they stink of fish & you can't trust them ......a bit like barmaids.

And Mermaids.

Merbarmaids?