UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Damn Ash Cloud

winkerbean

So along with peeing people off stuck outside & inside the country it's seems this ash cloud over the UK will be effecting comic deliverys, the premier of Iron Man 2 in London & maybe even FCBD on May the 1st.......

Boy us geeks get it rough sometimes :(

Yes, this thing over northern Europe is quite annoying, but it also shows us - at least me - in which ways our society does depend on planes. It took our chancellor 40 hours to get back from San Francisco since arriving in Lisbon/Portugal was the only possibility to land the plane. Then it was trains and cars for her. Same thing with the sad funeral of Poland's president Lech Kaczyński, where just a handful of foreign representatives could attend because of the cloud. And that's just the political "Tohuwabohu".

On a personal note: my girlfriend arrived save and sound from New Zealand last Thursday just half a day before the cloud arrived over Frankfurt. Would she've taken a different flight she might still be somewhere in Australia or Singapore. :(

'Massive overreaction' is the overwhelming underbelly of informed opinion here in the UK now. I'm no expert but I can make my own mind up & the more you hear about who made the decisions to stop flying..... the more you wonder about their credibility as experts sic.

My opinion ,which is not expert ,is that they should have contemplated a similar strategy that also might have saved the Titanic in 1912 ............

.......go around the problem.

Holland is pretty disappointing....they said on the news that the cloud would be visible in the evening, so i spend to days watching the sky....never saw it <_<

The whole ashcloud of doom has impacted on me too!

I've had family here since the 2nd of April who were supposed to fly home to the UK last Sunday... but will now not be going anywhere til the 26th and 28th! Their flight was cancelled and it's going to be 8-10 days before they can get another due to the chaos!

Given the choice of drama I'd take "missing comic books etc" instead any day! :)

T.

You know, they've reopened the air ways, and people are crying fowl because they had them closed for so long. God forbid, but all it will take is one plane falling from the sky before people truly realize how dangerous volcanoes are.

People cry "fowl" in the duck-shooting season & 'Thanksgiving'. A lot of people were crying foul & justifiably so because their lives were put on hold because the 'experts' hadn't factored in 'volcano dust' into the aviation equation apparently . Insurance corporations were probably keeping those planes on the ground not volcano dust Of course an initial appraisal of the scenario had to be taken & everybody accepts that safety should come first but I saw enough air traffic during the last few nights to categorically tell anybody wishing to listen that 'somebody' has been flying 'something' over the area in which we live. I'm blessed by living in one of the least light-polluted areas in the UK & the night sky is often...... heavenly :yes: