UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Oi Frank Miller...

Rad

Whats so bad about his work. I don't really read his work. So a little explanation would be interesting. cus i am a little slow

Dark Knight Returns was a great piece of work that has dated horribly. I can't read it anymore the small panels annoy me for some unfathomable reason.

Sin City was and still is incredible, and 300 still ranks as one of my favourite graphic novels ever.

In answer to RX78JJ the trouble with All Star Batman is the awful writing. It's almost a parody of his work on Dark Knight it's grim, gritty, and overblown, but in a really bad way. I'm also not a fan of Jim Lee's art on the book. Heresy I know but it seems rushed in comparison to the work he did on Hush just a couple of years ago. It's a bad, bad book but it's selling in droves. I guess it really is a case of either loving it or hating it. There can be no inbetween.

OK I'm going to go against the flow and Say I love Dark Knight Returns... It's a great book and for it's time groundbreaking...

Dark Knight strikes back however is the suckiest piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune to buy ( yes I kept buying it hoping it would get better!!)

I'm not fond of the A.S.B. either.... and stopped after the second issues when I realised it wasn't an over blown first issue to get our attention!

T.

I also am a huge DKR fan. I think it is one of the best Batman stories of all time. However, like TBT said, Dark Knight Strikes Again isn't worth the paper its printed on. I sold it immediately after reading the last issue. I can't believe I even made it that far. But I would rather read that series again than read All Star Batman & Robin. I have read many bad comics in my time, but that series is one of the absolute worst.

OK I'm going to go against the flow and Say I love Dark Knight Returns... It's a great book and for it's time groundbreaking...

Don't get me wrong Tim, I loved DKR at the time but I can't re-read it. I've tried a few times and just can't get into it. It is still a great story, the battle between Bats and Supes is one of the most amazing things I'd ever read, but it has dated very very badly.

Dark Knight strikes back however is the suckiest piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune to buy ( yes I kept buying it hoping it would get better!!)

T.

Strikes Again wasn't it? Not that I'm trying to be pedantic, I'm not sure of the title either. So that one really sunk in didn't it? ;)

It started so well, all that stuff with the Atom in the petri dish... Then it went bad very very quickly indeed. Does anyone remember Batman/Spawn from the 90's? That should have been warning enough never to read a Frank Miller Batman story ever again.

Strikes Again wasn't it? Not that I'm trying to be pedantic, I'm not sure of the title either. So that one really sunk in didn't it? ;)

Lol see, we cant even remember what it was called for sure :P:D If that's not damning I dont know what is!

T.

I still enjoy Dark Knight Returns, and I even enjoyed Strikes Again a lot more the second time I read it (but it can't hold a candle to DKR).

But, personally, I think Miller's Batman masterpiece is Year One. That story is phenomenal, and we should have gotten that instead of the tepid "Batman Begins" last year.

Not reading All Star Batman & Robin, looked too corny. (But AS Superman is freaking awesome.) If you're looking for good Batman stories, Dini's Detective Comics have been great. Good, self-contained stories. Also, Morrison's Batman is shaping to be good. (But I like Morrison, so maybe I'm biased.)

I'm gonna have to agree with a couple of people and say DKR is the most overrated story ever printed. I read it and I thought to myself "What the Hell am I reading?" But, I read the rest of it, hoping for it to get better, but no. I never read DKSA because of(IMO) how crappy DKR was, and as a few of you have said, I wasa lucky not to read it.

I'm also a fan of DKR. But do think that nowadays it is a bit dated, perhaps that's why DKSA was such a disappointment. Everyone was expecting it to be as groundbreaking as DKR was but instead it was just blah.

But, personally, I think Miller's Batman masterpiece is Year One. That story is phenomenal, and we should have gotten that instead of the tepid "Batman Begins" last year.
We did. They used Miller's Year One story to create the Batman Begins story line. Goyer consulted with Miller when he wrote the script.

Totally agree that Year One was his best work in the Batman world. Plus I love the way it leads to the Batman: Long Halloween/Dark Victory storyline.

We did. They used Miller's Year One story to create the Batman Begins story line. Goyer consulted with Miller when he wrote the script.

Totally agree that Year One was his best work in the Batman world. Plus I love the way it leads to the Batman: Long Halloween/Dark Victory storyline.

Maybe they consulted, but Begins was nowhere as good as Year One. Bleh to Begins, I say! Maybe if they had the cojones, they could have done Year One itself.

I thought All Star Batman was intended to be over the top? :huh:

Yeah, it is, but there's good over the top, and bad. Look at AS Superman. That's as over the top as it gets, and it's wonderful! Every issue is fun to read and true to the characters. It can be done, I just don't think that AS B&R does it right.

PS: Your avatar is hypnotic.