UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ken & Blanka 2 pack

Dang. We almost went two months without a Street Fighter mention. I was so proud.

Everyone get their dead-horse-beating sticks. <_<

I finally just got my horse beating sticks 2 days ago----I finally got some SF minimates, which I had put off for the longest time. And I've obviously known their story for a while now, but now that I actually have them in my hands, I am just so angry that they made P2 doubles instead of just giving us the original lineup ahhhhhh why oh why?! And yes, the darkstalkers are cool, but how the hell do they take priority over guile or ken or blanca, or sagat or any of those, vega woulda been sweeeeet! i know i know its already been said 1000 times+ so I just thought i'd add to the number and add to the pile of dead horses. maybe we can trade all the dead horses in for something at some point?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blanka and Guile and Vega and all the rest of the Street Fighter Minimates love you very, very much. But they got really sick and had to go to a special place where they'll feel better.

No, you can't go visit them, they're very far away.

No, they can't come visit anymore, but they're thinking of you all the time.

Yes, we miss them, too. But, just... no, it's like... it's like a farm. A big farm where they can run around all the time. Yes, they're very happy there. Yes, like grampa's farm. Yes... no... no, we can't go visit the farm. No, we can't make the backyard bigger so they can run around here.

They're just... they're just gone. I know. We miss them, too. But, you know, the Ghostbusters Minimates love you very much. Think you might want to give them a chance?

Aww, okay. You're okay. You want some McDonalds? Would a Happy Meal make you feel better? C'mon, let's go get a Happy Meal.

Edited by Lobsterman

Blanka and Guile and Vega and all the rest of the Street Fighter Minimates love you very, very much. But they got really sick and had to go to a special place where they'll feel better.

Yes, we miss them, too. But, just... no, it's like... it's like a farm. A big farm where they can run around all the time. Yes, they're very happy there. Yes, like grampa's farm. Yes... no... no, we can't go visit the farm. No, we can't make the backyard bigger so they can run around here.

They're just... they're just gone. I know. We miss them, too. But, you know, the Ghostbusters Minimates love you very much. Think you might want to give them a chance?

Aww, okay. You're okay. You want some McDonalds? Would a Happy Meal make you feel better? C'mon, let's go get a Happy Meal.

There's nothing to say after that, folks. That right there is called Check and Mate.

maybe we can trade all the dead horses in for something at some point?

The only thing you get from a large number of dead horses is Glue! ( Or plague if you dont bury them!)

Best post EVER! I think this should become the official reply to ALL dead horse topics ;)

T.

maybe we can trade all the dead horses in for something at some point?

The only thing you get from a large number of dead horses is Glue! ( Or plague if you dont bury them!)

Best post EVER! I think this should become the official reply to ALL dead horse topics ;)

T.

haha yeah tbt you need to save that and post it everytime this stuff comes up.

that is so great. :D

Edited by killcharlesdead

• 2 weeks later...

You people that are complaining about people wanting SF mates and talking about getting more need to take a hike. This is the forum people go to to talk about minimates right? Fox brought back family guy when it was dead, and futurama too. With enough fan demand anything could happen. We are getting a Daken minimate and a vault guardsman, so there you go. If you dont want to hear about other people wanting SF2 mates, then don't read SF2 topics.

Thing is, they don't even have the license anymore. It's not like there's some magic number of people who request this that they have to reach before they can start running them off at the factory.

We've crossed the point of no return here. Let SF2 die with a little dignity, instead of digging the corpse up every couple of weeks or months and parading it around like Weekend at Bernie's.

Thing is, they don't even have the license anymore. It's not like there's some magic number of people who request this that they have to reach before they can start running them off at the factory.

We've crossed the point of no return here. Let SF2 die with a little dignity, instead of digging the corpse up every couple of weeks or months and parading it around like Weekend at Bernie's.

that is honestly the most hilarious thing I have ever heard.

We are getting a Daken minimate and a vault guardsman, so there you go. If you dont want to hear about other people wanting SF2 mates, then don't read SF2 topics.

I already made this point, but if we're beating dead horses I'm going get a few good kicks in too:

I don't want "SF2" mates, if we're gonna get Street Fighter minimates they better be "Street Fighter" in general.

We already had a debate about Akuma was an "unknown" and really, as a life long Street Fighter fan who has played every game, I'm kinda tired of products that cater to those fair weather fans who played the game back in the 1990's on their Super Nintendo a couple times, are unaware there was a Street Fighter 3 and vaguely aware 4 is just now coming out, and now that Hot Topic has decided Street Fighter shirts have enough nostalgia factor to sell T-Shirts have come back as "Street Fighter fans"

It's odd to me the Marvel line can be praised for diversity away from Spidey and Wolverine, but Akuma is "too obscure." No one said "there's an Ultimate Spider-Woman? Uh-oh... that's gonna kill the line", granted maybe everyone talking in those threads is enough of a Marvel fan to care there's an Ultimate Spider-Woman, but there ARE people who enjoyed Street Fighter as a game and not a pop culture fling enough to care it existed and evolved past the 80's

If I had to choose between "SF2 and only SF2 mates" over letting the line die: Let it rot.

I already made this point, but if we're beating dead horses I'm going get a few good kicks in too:

I don't want "SF2" mates, if we're gonna get Street Fighter minimates they better be "Street Fighter" in general.

We already had a debate about Akuma was an "unknown" and really, as a life long Street Fighter fan who has played every game, I'm kinda tired of products that cater to those fair weather fans who played the game back in the 1990's on their Super Nintendo a couple times, are unaware there was a Street Fighter 3 and vaguely aware 4 is just now coming out, and now that Hot Topic has decided Street Fighter shirts have enough nostalgia factor to sell T-Shirts have come back as "Street Fighter fans"

It's odd to me the Marvel line can be praised for diversity away from Spidey and Wolverine, but Akuma is "too obscure." No one said "there's an Ultimate Spider-Woman? Uh-oh... that's gonna kill the line", granted maybe everyone talking in those threads is enough of a Marvel fan to care there's an Ultimate Spider-Woman, but there ARE people who enjoyed Street Fighter as a game and not a pop culture fling enough to care it existed and evolved past the 80's

If I had to choose between "SF2 and only SF2 mates" over letting the line die: Let it rot.

*sigh*

There's a difference in dipping into diverse obscurity in a well-established line and kicking things off with a bunch of unknown characters. The first wave of Marvel Minimates catered to, as you worded it, fair weather fans. When Marvel minis started, Hulk and Daredevil were in theaters, so they started the line off with Daredevil, Hulk, Kingpin, Elektra, and Bruce Banner. Marvel fans would recognize these characters and movie fans would recognize them as well. The next wave? Spider-Man and his amazing most popular enemies, Green Goblin and the Symbiotes. It took quite some time before we started dipping deeper into the barrel and getting some lesser known characters. And we still go back to the casual fan favorites Spidey and Wolverine quite often.

You can't kick off a line with three characters that the casual fans would recognize and four that leaves them scratching their heads. You have to build the line on something and if your starting line-up is weak, then you aren't going to make it.

*sigh*

There's a difference in dipping into diverse obscurity in a well-established line and kicking things off with a bunch of unknown characters. The first wave of Marvel Minimates catered to, as you worded it, fair weather fans. When Marvel minis started, Hulk and Daredevil were in theaters, so they started the line off with Daredevil, Hulk, Kingpin, Elektra, and Bruce Banner. Marvel fans would recognize these characters and movie fans would recognize them as well. The next wave? Spider-Man and his amazing most popular enemies, Green Goblin and the Symbiotes. It took quite some time before we started dipping deeper into the barrel and getting some lesser known characters. And we still go back to the casual fan favorites Spidey and Wolverine quite often.

You can't kick off a line with three characters that the casual fans would recognize and four that leaves them scratching their heads. You have to build the line on something and if your starting line-up is weak, then you aren't going to make it.

FOUR characters no one knows?

I'll give you Demitri (as I said, male Darkstalkers are action figure poison) and Lilith as being poor choices.

But Akuma has been and always be one of the most popular Street fighter males since his introduction. Anyone who played an SF game after this introduction KNOWS AKUMA. If you don't know Akuma then odds are pretty good you only like Street Fighter because SOTA made a toy line and you said "OH! I remember that!"... kinda like Family Guy humor, sometimes people laugh because it's a joke and other times they laugh because "OH! I know who the Goonies are!!" same with Street Fighter, there will be people buying Street Fighter products because they LIKE Street Fighter and play SF games and people buying it because "OH! I know what those are! I played it like forever ago, but now it's kitschy!"

Morigan is another extremely strong choice to start the line with, demand for her from SOTA was EXTREMELY high, she's been in both Marvel Vs Capcom games and is has a HUGE amount of products devoted to her. To say you don't know Morigan is again saying "I ignored Capcom after SF2 but I'm still a fan!"

speaking of MvC2, it's probably the major reason they even made Street Fighter minimates, people were buying the SOTA figures to go with their Marvel Legends so it probably made some level of sense to DST/AA to make SF minimates to go with the Marvel ones... and in that case everyone but Demitri and Lilith are an excellent choice as they appeared in the MvC games.

So Six out of Eight Characters, should be well known to anyone who's played an SF game within the last decade. If you assume fans of the series are gonna buy a product might as well use the headliners right? After all Wave 1 Kingpin wasn't African American and Elektra wore her comic outfit, they didn't feel the need to dumb it down a shade for people who considered themselves Marvel fans from the movies. By this same logic people who have been enjoying recent Street fighters know Ryu's rivalry with Akuma is FAR more important to his character then his rivalry with Ken (which is now just 'they met and fight once in awhile, and only if in tournaments) and Sagat (which has been retconned from some bloodlust hatred to Sagat just wanting one more good fight with Ryu) Akuma defines Ryu, reminding him he has a darker power within, 99% of all of Ryu's endings feature Akuma reminding him this. Spider-man in wave 2 came with Venom, he wasn't in the original Spider-man comics, didn't come along until much later in 90's but his similar powers and link to Spider-man changed him, Akuma is Ryu's Venom

I could even go so far as to justify Lilith and Demitri are almost okay in that Demitri is Morigan's rival, he's her Ken... granted Ryu's Ken would have made a MUCH better choice, but it's not illogical to slap him in the line-up... he and Morigan headlined SOTA's DS line up until Jerry left and the new guys mucked it up as. Lilith is just Morigan without tits (seriously, that's her origin, she's just part of Morigan that broke off), so she can be the variant since she's an alternate Morigan (Dan being the Ken variant is all kinds of retarded though), Since Ryu's most logical rival is Akuma, and Chun-Li has hated Bison since SF2 days it only makes sense to package Morigan with Demitri. (and wave 2 continued this 'rival' theme since Dog and Cat define Gallon and Felicia, "Cold War" is Guile and Zangied, and Dan and Blanka don't have true rivals in the game but are best friends... Ken just comes with blanka because he's popular)

I will however say that since Minimates now feature a crapton of 80's licenses with HUGE kitsch appeal. That maybe I'm wrong and these minimates were never meant for me... maybe they weren't meant to grab at the SOTA fans excited to be getting some really badass figures of characters they like but rather the first minimates meant to grab at fans of "remember the 80's?" If you want SF minimates out of love of the games or to go with your Marvel Mates, the line up for the SF mates was perfect... but if you want them to go with your BTTF and Ghostbusters, I agree: Less Darkstalkers More E.Honda! Ken Forever! Akuma NEVER!

I think they were meant for you, in that they carried a ton of characters that you are far more familiar with than I.

But overall, they tanked for one reason: they didn't appeal to the casual fan. Like I said about Marvel, it kicked off in familiar territory. One wave of movie tie-ins (they didn't get the movie licenses back then, hence the comic-based look for the characters) and one wave of Spider-Man. From there, they could start branching out and bringing in other lesser known characters. Street Fighter II started with 3 actual SF2 characters and 4 who either had nothing to do with SF2 or came in on later expansions of the title. Had they shifted that balance even slightly, we might not be beating a dead horse about the lack of SF2 'mates and might be discussing the impending release of series 12 or something.

You brought up SOTA doing SF figures, and I looked at the line-ups. They did line-ups of about 5 characters, and generally speaking 3 or 4 of them were standard SF2 characters.

Series 1

* Ryu

* Chun Li

* Bison

* Sagat

* Sodom (who?)

Series 2

* Ken

* Vega

* Blanka

* Cammy (questionable, but still more well known than Akuma)

* T. Hawk

Oh, and aparently, SOTA allowed fans to vote on some of the line-ups, only to have to cancel them because retail interest was low. It seems the hardcore fans make up a minority of who buys the Street Fighter products.

eh, I'm tired of the minimate debate, yeah okay Akuma was a bad choice, so here the darkstalkers.... but really maybe we're both wrong! Maybe Street Fighter just didn't lend itself well to minimates? a major fun part of SF is the different character body types, Ryu and Ken are of normal size and male, Chun-Li is normal sized and female, Guile is a musclar tone and walks up right, Blanka is of musclar tone and walks hunched over, Sagat and Zangief are giant (and even then Sagat is lean and 'Gief massive), Dhalsim and Vega are thin as boards (where Vega is wirey and Dhalsim is just thin) E.Honda and depending on the game M.Bison are big and fat.... some superheros are like this yes, and I'm sure E.Honda would have gotten a belly piece and maybe Zangief would have gotten a big chest piece after the prototype like Kilowog... but Superheroes have the benefit that they're outfits are iconic, you can paint a Superman symbol and color pattern on a Kubear and people will know it's "Superman" you paint a white Karate uniform on them and it will not instantly read as Ryu but rather "karate man", and I bet Dhalsim reads as "Indiana Jones Villain", Zangief as "white Mr.T in his undies", Guile as "GI JOE", Blanka as "Hulk".... the Street Fighters, as much as I love them, are bland as hell when turned into something simple like a minimate. There's a reason cartoons, comics, and even other videogames can rip-off SF characters when they need a random character for some to hit.

SOTA gave Street Fighter fans figures that played up what made these generic as hell designs fun, while AA didn't even bother to make their figures accurate (there's a lot wrong with Chun-Li, and they didn't even give Dan a shirt in wave 2!)

Oh, and aparently, SOTA allowed fans to vote on some of the line-ups, only to have to cancel them because retail interest was low. It seems the hardcore fans make up a minority of who buys the Street Fighter products.

Wrong buddy.

SOTA had votes for EVERY line up after wave 1. With the exception of Ken, Guile, AKUMA, Zangief, and Dhalsim who were locks because they were fan favorite headliners.

Fans Voted in:

wave 2: Blanka, T.Hawk, Vega, and Cammy

wave 3: Sakura, Gen, Adon, and Balrog

wave 4: Ibuki, Remy, Birdie, and Fei Long

wave 5 (never released, explained below): Juni/Juli, Rolento, Dee Jay, Guy

wave 6 (never released): a vote was taken but never revealed.

Wave 5 and 6 were canceled not because of lack of fan interest, but because Jerry, the founder of SOTA sold the company. The new owners then decided to royal fuck up the line, they decided the line needed a revamp despite selling well, drop the line up of 5 down to a line up of 4, threw out all of the votes and kept Zangief and Dhalsim and added E.Honda, they took a vote that boiled down to "just send us who you want a figure of" and R.Mika own. Other mistakes included changing the packaging from slick clamshells to ugly oversized boxes and upping the cost and dropping the accessories. They also took a whooping 3 years between Jerry's last wave and their first "real" wave of figures (they did release a set of shitty Ken/Ryu/Akuma/Dan that were out of scale)

Under the care of Jerry, SOTA's SF line was full of characters PICKED BY FANS, fans you'd consider "hardcore", and it was only when someone had the stupid idea to disregard that and finish off the cast of SF2 did the line DIE. A painful ugly death... it's a lot like what happened with Marvel Legends, in the hands of someone who knew what they was doing the line was great. then it switches hands, quality drops like a stone, and it's dead.

Jerry's trying to bring the line back under his control, releasing some Staction Figures through his new company of Dee Jay (he's from SSF2, so you know him right?) Oro, and Alex (WHOM!? oh, never mind but trust me they're awesome) he's even said he has rights to DS and will probably get Morigan made if these sell... and that's generating a lot of buzz among SF fans.

SIDENOTE:..... I also find it a bit ironic this thread 99% of the time has had a banner ad for "SF3" collectibles from Sideshow Toys (some of which where made by Jerry's new company 'Pop Culture Shock'!), makes me laugh we're debating how minimates died because they catered to "hardcore" fans but other campanies are doing just that and doing fine (what non-hardcore SF fan wants a Poison statue? and if they got one do they know why the hardcore fan will laugh at them for calling her "a total hottie"?)

dude. blanka would be a great custom to make hulk 2099 :D

when I thought of the SF/DS 'mates, I thought of their whole universe, not just the games. I enjoy the mythos, the characters, and everything else... but to be honest, aside from the SNES games (which I still proudly own), I could care less about the street fighter games

but that being said, demitri and morrigan are pretty important in the DS anime, as well as all of the SF guys being big (if not MAIN) characters in various animes. (there was one series though, that I watched, where akuma was not a character. he merely appeared as an out-of-place cameo in the background of countless scenes, towering above normal people, still wearing his SF attire. :lol:)

• 1 month later...

The line didnt die b/c of character choices. They made the some fine choices to start. DS mates were in there to help expand the diversity of characters since SF2 only has 12 people in it, then there is super SF2 with those 12 and 4 more. They were likely trying to slowly build em up like SOTA was doing, and Sota did do it well. They got a LOT of characters out and every line had big hitters to help push it and obscure characters to satisfy hardcore fans and fill up the ranks. And please, EVERYONE I have ever spoke to about streetfighter knows who akuma is.

If anything, the distribution or case packing was the reason it died. I went all over my city and kept find dimitri sets and 1 or 2 times I found the bison set. ryu was gone everywhere and i didnt get one until long after they were done. Darkstalkers should have been one per case. And as for letting this topic die, who said we only want street fighter 2 mates? I want all kinds of capcom mates. SF4 just came out, MVC2 is getting rereleased with a possible MVC3 depending on sales, and darkstalkers is getting a new game as we speak. Anything is possible. Resident evil mates or even mvc2 mates would be awesome.

Why does everyone have to get their panties in a jumble on this. Capcom fighting games have been around 20+ years. The new BSG mates are supporting a show that was only on cable for 5 years. It came back, and stranger things have happened.

The line didnt die b/c of character choices. They made the some fine choices to start. DS mates were in there to help expand the diversity of characters since SF2 only has 12 people in it, then there is super SF2 with those 12 and 4 more. They were likely trying to slowly build em up like SOTA was doing, and Sota did do it well. They got a LOT of characters out and every line had big hitters to help push it and obscure characters to satisfy hardcore fans and fill up the ranks. And please, EVERYONE I have ever spoke to about streetfighter knows who akuma is.

If anything, the distribution or case packing was the reason it died. I went all over my city and kept find dimitri sets and 1 or 2 times I found the bison set. ryu was gone everywhere and i didnt get one until long after they were done. Darkstalkers should have been one per case. And as for letting this topic die, who said we only want street fighter 2 mates? I want all kinds of capcom mates. SF4 just came out, MVC2 is getting rereleased with a possible MVC3 depending on sales, and darkstalkers is getting a new game as we speak. Anything is possible. Resident evil mates or even mvc2 mates would be awesome.

Why does everyone have to get their panties in a jumble on this. Capcom fighting games have been around 20+ years. The new BSG mates are supporting a show that was only on cable for 5 years. It came back, and stranger things have happened.

Necro... Go sit on the naughty step and think about what you did wrong! ;)

It wasn't case packing or distrib it was the fact that they didn't sell, I've had pretty in depth conversations with DST over this in the past as various shows and the short answer is no one bought them or even preordered them!

As far as I'm aware DST no longer has the license for these anymore so no it's not going to come back!

T.

with a possible MVC3 depending on sales, and darkstalkers is getting a new game as we speak.

Got any links to confirm this? I heard Ono wanted to do a new DS if SF4 was successful and Capcom and Marvel were both down with MvC3 but I haven't heard any confirmation about either.

Oh, and since I like to rant in this thread:

Variants killed the SF minimates!

No Shin Akuma, Evil Ryu, and Lilith.... these are new chacters. The player 2 variants were worthless.

Now SOTA was able to make the player 2 variants work for a couple reasons but here's where the minimates went wrong:

1-Limit choice: SOTA offered several versions of every character, there was something for everyone. If you don't like Grey Ryu (I prefer Blue with yellow headband), Red Akuma (I like Black, although techincally we never got Akuma's REAL Player 1 ), Pink Chun-Li (purple for me thanks!), and Grey Bison (Championship Edition Teal with Red Armor is the money variant!) what point to you have to buy a second set?

2-Variants As Exclusives: I scored a case of Pink Chun-Li Vs Grey Bison from AFX for $30, (little more then $2.50 a case) clearly they didn't sell...sticking a retailer with a crap ton of unsellable figures is a GREAT way to kill a line. And the Previews Exclusive set, the in theory easiest to find, were the two characters no American would want (and Demtri isn't really different enough from his default... he does have both a Red AND a Black outfit... to warrent buying a 3rd version of him.)

Better Choices For Exclusives/Variants: Alternate Forms!

Hollywood Video lucked out getting Evil Ryu and Shin Akuma, but did you know Chun-Li and Bison have "evil(er)" forms as well? While a ShadowLady Chun-Li would have been a poor choice but who wouldn't want a clear purple Bison? they made Demitri right? Well did you know the only reason people give a crap about Demitri is he TURNS PEOPLE INTO SEXY LADIES? He's even fought the entire cast of SF2 in a crossover so even they have cannonical lady forms... Pretty lady Ryu, Akuma, Bison, and Demitri with different outfits for Chun-Li and Morigan (ladies when attack just got dolled up in fancier dress) would probably have sold better then drap greys, washed out pinks, a red that made Akuma look like an angry cherry tomato, and a barely any different Demitri.

*All that stuff you said*

To be fair, it is far cheaper to do a simple color swap variation than to create a new look, even if you are using the same parts.

These weren't selling well, so they were getting as many different figures as they could get without investing even more money into the project. Hence your pallete swap characters.

Let's face it, you can blame Darkstalkers, you can blame variants, you can blame line-ups, you can blame whatever you want. Whatever the case may be, they just didn't have the sales that were necessary to keep the line going. It seems DST did everything in their power to get these things moving and they just wouldn't. The initial stock didn't sell, so they pumped out a bunch of variant exclusives to attract some attention. That failed, so they crammed them into box sets and shipped them to TRU. That failed, so they had to pull the plug on the line.

It seems a vast majority of the SF2 crowd prefer their action figures to be taller and less cute.

It seems a vast majority of the SF2 crowd prefer their action figures to be taller and less cute.

Then explain how Street Fighter Gashapons are popular!

Although this brings a good point: There are no Street Fighter Kubricks!!

Clearly if there was a market for Street Fighter Block Figures they would have at least tried to make them right?