UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Evolution of a Collection

Ahhh memories... I was just reminiscing about how I got to the point where I have a small armada of minimates.....

My journey went thus:

"I'll just buy the X-Related characters"

"I'll just get the Marvel stuff"

"I'll just get the Comic book stuff"

"I'll just get 2"ers"

"I may as well get LOTR"

"I might as well collect ALL minimates"

and now Im at the "Ooooh package variants" stage...

How was it for you guys, did you dive right in with a "must get them all" attitude or did the addiction grow on you?

I jumped on very shortly after C3 first hit the market, so my attitude when I started was 'just get the Marvel and DC characters' ... then as time went on, my Marvel and C3 collections were nearing completion, but my lust for more minis was raging on as strong as ever... so I began delving into LOTR minis. Then Street Fighter minis came out, and I totally flew all over that... I doubt I will ever set my goal for every single minimate that has been produced, but I'm eagerly awaiting BSG and Speed Racer minis. I guess my fondness will always be limited to cool licenses. We shall see...

I just wanted a Hulk and banner set. That was until I went to TRU and saw them all.

A few years later, I now have them all both loose and in all package variations. At one point, I also had all the 3"ers, too. I only recently decided to scale my collection down to Marvel, DC, LOTR & promos.

I wish I had gotten into them earlier because I remember seeing all of the 3" figures, the early Marvel single-packed figures, and C3 sets like the Batcopter but I passed them up.

When I did finally get into minimates it was just Marvel, then I got some C3 sets, and now I'd say I'm a mild completionist. I don't need all of the packaging variations but I like to have a packaged and a loose version if I can.

I'd gotten an Eddie 3" Minimate (still never reviewed him ;)) but went absolutely ga-ga at the first wave of Marvel Minimates. I'd seen packaging pics online (in fact, they were proto packaging pics) and just thought they looked really cool.

I bought Daredevil and Kingpin on eBay and BAM! I was hooked. So I decided to try and get all the wave, including the variant. Same for wave 2. By the time wave 3 came about I'd already had an idea to create a dedicated Minimates site cos there weren't any.

Once Minimates Central was up and running, basically I had to get anything new that came out so I could review it.

I got the Gene Simmons 3 inch for christmas from my wife....then the following year we saw the Marvel ones in walmart and I wasnt really collecting toys anymore....then my wife surprised me with the Hulk/Banner set in my stocking and I decided to buy them, but not the chases...then I got some chases and went back and got the rest of the early chases....got the C3 ones when they came out.....then found some LOTR on clearence and that was it....I just gave up and went for them all :)

Jeff of the Minis

I saw the LOTR ones and went "meh, that's interesting" Then I saw an article on them in ToyFare #80 I think. I went "Cool! Marvel Characters" And promptly went to TRU and bought the Carnage/Spiderman/Doom/Venom set. I've been hooked ever since.

I remember when I was just going to buy the Spiderman/Green Goblin 2 pack because of my spiderman addiction, after getting them home and opening them it was about ten minutes before I was back at Suncoast buying all of series one, two and three. I've been hooked ever since, but only the 2 inch figures it's hard enough just to keep up with all 2 inch figures as it is.

It started with my daughter wanting the Ben Reilly/Black Cat set cause she loves Spider-Man and is only 4 so there was no way I could explain to her that Ben was not Spider-Man.

And I saw Rogue/Mystique pack at the same time and said why not. Rogue one of my favorite characters so I'll get that set for myself.

within a week I had over 30 mavel minimates. Then I saw the clearance sale at TRU for all things C3, so I grabbed as much as I could. Encluding the Batcave for 2/3 off. (not knowing the problems with the batcave).

Now I have 63 marvel (not including reruns. go to have those varents), complete set of Streetfighter 2 + Demitri/Morrigan PX preview, 8 C3 sets to enclude The Batman Stealth Batwing exclusive.

All this happened in the last 3 months.

Let it be known, I seen minimates since the beginning but I said I don't need another thing to collect.

So all this is things to Ben Rielly :) and my daughter.

or was it all an excuse by my subconsious to collect minimates. :ph34r:

I never believed I would ever collect toys. I laughed at the 40 year old virgin. I stopped reading comic books 20 years ago. I was a work-a-day professional with adult responsibilities and problems.

Then I walked into a Tower Records store in November 2004. I saw a small two-pack of Rhino and Gray Hulk on the bottom shelf near the magazines. I was immediately struck by a wave of nostolgia. Oh what a simpler time it was back when I read comic books!

I bought the two pack and popped it open in my car outside the store. The smooth gray plastic and tiny moveable limbs brought a smile to my face. I resisted the immediate and powerful urge to buy more.

That evening I noodled around with the two characters and set them next to my computer. By the morning I had decided I would "only get the main characters" like Spider-man and Wolverine.

I bought every character at the store next day. It didn't satisfy my urge to get more. The next three months I learned how to use Ebay and started buying like crazy.

Funny ideas I had when I first started collecting: I thought the Giant Sized X-men set were 3" minimates (why else would it be called giant size?!?!)

I thought the DC Minimates were Legos so I passed them by for weeks until I finally examined the package. I still remember the thrill when I realized they were actual DC Minimates. NO WAY! I could have Spider-man fight Superman?!?!?!

My obsession has caused me to by DVDs of comics and learn web-design.

The 2" Minimates are plastic crack and I'm a full blown addict.

Funny ideas I had when I first started collecting: I thought the Giant Sized X-men set were 3" minimates (why else would it be called giant size?!?!)

Same here :lol:

Same here :lol:

Ha!! I can't tell you how many people posted on the old AA board asking what size those figures were going to be. It used to drive me nuts!!! Nuts I say!!! Ah, the good old days.

I started out with the 3" figures and never had any intention of buying any 2 inchers. I remember thinking how bad AA messed up by releasing a new scale figure. I didn't care that it had to be done to get the license, I just thought the whole idea sucked. Once I saw them in person, however, I was hooked. They were way cooler than the 3" mates, and soon I was buying all the promos, packaging variations, etc... At one time I had AT LEAST three of every character, including the variants. I'm not that hardcore about it anymore, as I only buy one each of the regular release stuff, (no more packaging variants and promos) and I'll be buying all the Marvel, DC and Street Fighter mates, and possibly the other new licenses depending on how they look to me when I see them for sale.

I bought a Rob Zombie at Musicland years ago because I thought it was a cool as hell figure. Took it home, opened it, and shortly went back to get the rest of them...

When Marvel came out, I bought the first wave at Suncoast.... Then my store never got any more in... I continued by getting all of the 'con exclusive figures, but it wasn't until I found some at Wal-Mart that the sickness really kicked in for me. Within a couple of months, I had almost all of the Marvel figures that were out.

I was on board for C3 when they first came out. Same with LOTR.

In the "down-time" before releases, I managed to find nearly all of the missing 3"ers between trades and eBay.

Now, I've got everything with the exception of Gold & Silver Spidey, and the new Bad Apple & Red Cross blanks. I've called them 3 times, but just seem to get the run-around. They've had my money since the first day these were available, and I still haven't gotten them.

I can remember reading about minimates in Toyfare and thinking they looked rubbish. Then, I was on a city break in New York and browsing in Jim Hanleys Universe when I saw the ultimate x-men line. I had to have em they were superb little figures! LIke a fool I passed up on the visorless cyke cos I couldn't see the point in paying $7 when the others were only $3!!!! D'oh! I also picked up one of the Daredevil/Hulk 4 packs in TRU but that was a present for a friend.

That was my mini collection for about six months, then I saw the Giant Size X-men set for sale on the web for £17 and had to have it. That's when the addiction started. Once I had them I had to get more. Toyz and Gamez got the Doc Ock wave and I had the lot. Was always disappointed that I'd missed out on Spidey and DD but then a mate in london emailed to say he'd found the DD/Elektra pack and had got it for me. A bit of ebaying got me the Cap/Punisher Wolvie/Mariko two packs and then I discovered Minimates Central... Through Dannys site I discovered the AA board (whatever happened to that?) and through the AA board I discovered the existance of C3 and a whole load of good mates to trade with.

That's you lot. Cheers chaps *raises glass* :D

That evening I noodled around with the two characters and set them next to my computer. By the morning I had decided I would "only get the main characters" like Spider-man and Wolverine.

DST Chuck wants to marry you! :D

Black Costume Spider-man = Instant killer app that got me to see Minimates as more than just lego knock-off, but didn't convince me to collect. Waves 4 & 5 did that.

I'm a one of each guy also, the boxes making it easy to keep them mostly complete while accessable, with my blister slicing method doing much the same for the earlier stuff. Due to the appearance of C3 wave 2 in Australia I've also started to collect and snap up extras for trading purposes (such as the Mini-Javs and Batcycles) but only really cherry picking for cases or what specific trades require.

"My journey went thus:"

"I'll just buy the Avengers characters"

"I'll just get the Marvel stuff"

"I'll just get the Comic book stuff"

"I'll just get 2"ers"

"I may as well get LOTR for that invisible Frodo and for making Custom giant-sized characters"

"I might as well collect the X-men too" :P

and now Im at the "Hmmm, I don't have that extra Batman character that comes with..."

My first exposure to this brand of plastic crack was the Cap/Rhino pack at Wal-Mart one night. I thought, "hey a neat little Captain America figure..." Then I got them home and got to playing with them a little, trying to figure out where I wanted to put them. I saw how great they went with my Transformer Alternator figures, and then I started wanting more... Within 2 weeks I had all the different ones the local Wal-Mart had. Shortly after I got back into collecting comics and noticed the store I went to had them, so I started getting the sets there. Now, Marvel, DC, most varients, con-exclusives, and promos when I can find them (and have money). I've stopped getting basicly everything else but comics and certain TF lines/figures, all because of the minis.