UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Are the SF MMs dead?

HOLY SHIT!!!!

You have one of my comics in your signature!!!!

For real, it's one of yours? Small world isn't it. :) I have a lot of them saved on my computer from back when they were first posted on TNI, I freaking love them. I hope that you don't mind me using it.

HOLY SHIT!!!!

You have one of my comics in your signature!!!!

For real, it's one of yours? Small world isn't it. :) I have a lot of them saved on my computer from back when they were first posted on TNI, I freaking love them. I hope that you don't mind me using it.

Are you kidding me? I am honored.

I am glad to know that anyone (besides me) thinks they are funny

And it's too big as a sig image!

Hey, is that better? I made it a little smaller.

We're not fond of huge sig images... I rather be reading posts rather than wading through images we've seen a lot of times.

A guide would be that anything up to the size of the adbanners at the top of the page is ok, much bigger and it just gets tedious.

Dont worry it's not just yours, there are several other sigs that we have that are driving me nuts.... On the bright side the whole 'I'm with ...' civil war banner thing has calmed down. :)

T.

Are you kidding me? I am honored.

I am glad to know that anyone (besides me) thinks they are funny

Yeah, I was a big fan back when you first posted them on TNI. I couldn't get enough of them, they still make me laugh to this day.

Dont worry it's not just yours, there are several other sigs that we have that are driving me nuts....

I'll try and come up with a nother one soon.

I think the only hope for this line is if the Toys R Us 4-packs sold well, that they might want more, and DST could release series 2 to them. Otherwise, I think it is very dead. I really had high hopes for this line, and I love the first series. A question has been posed to Chuck about the fate of this series, and if he confirms that we will never see series 2, I am going to have to start customizing like crazy.

It doesn't help that my TRU has about 14 of the 4-packs... 12 of them are the Darkstalkers Pack, and only 2 of the SF2 pack are left. What did they do, shortpack the SF2 sets ? C'mon, who was the genius behind that decision ? Obviously the SF2 set was going to be the bigger seller at mass market... Darkstalkers is a blip on the radar compared to the reach that SF2 had.

It doesn't help that my TRU has about 14 of the 4-packs... 12 of them are the Darkstalkers Pack, and only 2 of the SF2 pack are left. What did they do, shortpack the SF2 sets ? C'mon, who was the genius behind that decision ? Obviously the SF2 set was going to be the bigger seller at mass market... Darkstalkers is a blip on the radar compared to the reach that SF2 had.

Darkstalkers was bigger than you think. It was an innovative game (at the time) for Capcom to make. It was the first game to allow blocking while in the air, had better animation than any SF game before it and had some great specials & EX moves.

I don't think it was a bad decision to include them in the line up - especially not if AA/DST were testing the water in overseas markets.

Personally, I think this line was a victim of circumstance. Think about it - this is a video game & anime license. About the same time that this line was coming out:

Tower Records went bankrupt.

Suncoast closed many stores nationwide.

Gamestop/EB stopped carrying toys.

Marvel 'mates had started to slow down both in production (IIRC this was due to the change in production facilities) and in sales - this led to comic shops ordering less 'mates than they had in the past.

Those are the factors that contributed to the line's failure as far as I see them - not Darkstalkers. I'd have continued buying the line - both for the SF and Darkstalkers characters. Who doesn't want monster minimates? :D

I would have liked to see:

Raptor (- a zombie)

Rikuo (- a merman)

Victor von Gerdenheim (- a Frankenstein monster - would have needed to be a 2.5" body though)

Talbain (- a werewolf)

Sasquatch (- a yeti/bigfoot (good for color variants) - again, needs to be 2.5")

Bishamon (- a ghost inhabiting a suit of samurai armor)

Oh what could have been....

Having just dug out my Udon SF and Darkstalker books, I'm really big on Street Fighter and Darkstalkers at the mo, and so dissapointed that we didn't at least see wave 2 which had a number of my favourites (Ken, Felicia, Talbon, Dan and Blanka). And as a big fan of the lesser known Street Fighter characters, (namely the Street Fighter 3 line up), I was really hoping we'd get sets like Yun and Gen (with Yang, Yun's brother as a chase), Gill and Urien (with maybe "Seraphic Wing Gill as a chase), Charlie and maybe the Shadow version of him, Guy and Cody and maybe Eagle and Dudley (fan of the British characters). Granted I wouldn't have minded if they dropped Darkstalkers after wave 2 as Felicia, Talbon, Morrigan and Demitri were the ones I wanted the most.

And truth be told, I'd rather see them drop most of the new licences like Battlestar Galactica, Rocky, 24 (not a big fan of the show anyway) and Star Trek, and release more Street Fighter ones.

I said before, I'll say again: DS did NOT ruin that line. If it wasn't for the DS 2-pack, I don't think I'd even be here as it was the first pack of mates i ever got. (aside from some LOTR, but they didn't really get me into minimates. the DS2-pack did)

Personally, I think this line was a victim of circumstance. Think about it - this is a video game & anime license. About the same time that this line was coming out:

Tower Records went bankrupt.

Putting me out of a job, and causing me to miss out on the last 3 Chase figures (Marvel 12/13 & BSG 1).

I would have liked to see:

Talbain (- a werewolf)

We were teased with amazing looking Jon T.s and Felicias for the never released Wave 2...

Sasquatch (- a yeti/bigfoot (good for color variants) - again, needs to be 2.5")

Actually, Sasquatch was short and stout. If they did something like Penguin, that'd work, but if the 'Mate was bigger, that wouldn't look game-faithful.

We're not fond of huge sig images... there are several other sigs that we have that are driving me nuts....

C'mon, Tim, I know you love the Major's heaving busom at the bottom of my every post...

• 3 weeks later...

Darkstalkers was bigger than you think. It was an innovative game (at the time) for Capcom to make. It was the first game to allow blocking while in the air, had better animation than any SF game before it and had some great specials & EX moves.

I don't think it was a bad decision to include them in the line up - especially not if AA/DST were testing the water in overseas markets.

That all may be true, but you're not honestly going to argue that Darkstalkers had the popularity and/or reach in the US market that Street Fighter 2 had ? Street Fighter 2 was a phenomena in this country for a good three year period in the early to mid 90's. Darkstalkers NEVER had that kind of reach.

I wasn't comparing the quality or innovative nature of the video games, I was talking about their reach as a property. I also don't think it was a bad decision to include them in the line-up. I just think it was a bad decision to shortpack the better known Street Fighter 4-pack for the lesser known Darkstalkers set in a US retail store.

• 3 weeks later...
My magic 8 ball says 'Signs point to yes!' but I was just wondering what you guys thought.

I would really like to get confirmation on this one way or the other. Can anyone comment? Chuck? Matt? Adam? Brandon?

How about a limited release box set with all of the characters that were intended for the 2nd wave?

I agree that if nothing else, we should see some or all of Wave 2 released in a limited capacity, even if its only exclusively from their website or via a con exclusive. Surely they could take the sales figures from series one to determine just how much of series 2 they could produce without taking a hit in profits.

And yes, I realize that there's a far larger market for minimates outside of this message board and that the mass appeal does more for production schedules than the niche appeal, but a guy can dream, right?

Still, I tossed a question about the line in the latest Q&A to go off, so maybe we can finally put this to bed one way or another.

Problem is large production = lower cost per item, small production = higher cost per item

The cost of overall development, design, tooling, shipping are static and are shared by the entire production run, and while the run drops in number those costs stay the same and that drives up the share each item must cover and thus price of item. How many people would still pre-order if RRP was 200 or 300% more than wave one? It's why a lot of times it's easier to simply cancel a badly ordered/pre-ordered line instead of either jacking the price up or taking a bath on pegwarmers.

Of course a moot point if the line didn't even get to the stage of production line tooling of molds...

That all may be true, but you're not honestly going to argue that Darkstalkers had the popularity and/or reach in the US market that Street Fighter 2 had ? Street Fighter 2 was a phenomena in this country for a good three year period in the early to mid 90's. Darkstalkers NEVER had that kind of reach.

I wasn't comparing the quality or innovative nature of the video games, I was talking about their reach as a property. I also don't think it was a bad decision to include them in the line-up. I just think it was a bad decision to shortpack the better known Street Fighter 4-pack for the lesser known Darkstalkers set in a US retail store.

Nope. Not arguing the popularity of SF vs DS here in the US at all. (Which is why I said 'especially if AA/DST were testing the waters overseas.') Thinking globally for this particular license (as was the rumor going around at the time) is key to understanding why the two were packaged together.

• 5 weeks later...

Is it just me, or does the hairpiece for the box set exclusive Hydro Man look like the hairpiece originally intended for Guile? It would seem my hopes for a Guile Minimate aren't completely dashed, they'll just now require some tinkering.

Is it just me, or does the hairpiece for the box set exclusive Hydro Man look like the hairpiece originally intended for Guile? It would seem my hopes for a Guile Minimate aren't completely dashed, they'll just now require some tinkering.

No, it's actually the hair piece of the Visorless Ultimate Cyclops, the chase figure from the third Marvel wave.

In general DST have said they dislike to mix and match molding between lines, at least until the line is dead it seems re C3 items like Supe's cape being used by Sentry, and the inclusion of SF energy blasts to represent Sandman and Hydro Man's powers is well....