UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

If I had my own Minimate comic...

So I am massively happy these days to see Minimate photocomics making a comeback again. :biggrin:

I'm glad to see guys like Mini-Myte and Crimson Monkey bring them back in vogue, makes me long for the good ol' days when I was new to Minimates and MMHQ's old "JP1000 and Friends" series got me hooked.

That said, I've made no secret of my being an aspiring writer and I have an absurdly long list of fun/weird/random storylines I made up for my Minimates and wished to actually recreate on film someday, but until I have enough money, free time, camera skills or half-decent comedic timing that's probably going to be a bit of a long way off. :pinch:

So this is going to be my first "custom thread" of sorts, basically a dumping ground for all the silly Minimate comic ideas I keep wanting to make into actual picfics. Feel free to post your own wacky pitches here. I'll start things off:

Harry Needs A Ride

My very first Minimates were Spider-Man and Harry/New Goblin from the SM3 movie waves, so they're going to be the sort of main protagonists of my hypothetical comic. It's no secret that the foot peg on Harry's glider doesn't actually work for C3 feet so I made up this random storyline where Harry's glider needs to be sent to Tony Stark for repairs (since at this time he still had rocky relations with Norman) and he need to find an alternate mode of transport for the interim. Expect a whole bunch of My Little Pony gags.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Tony Stark!"

This is more of a one-off single panel comic idea, but I'd always wanted to imagine what it would be like if Tony Stark was a guest star on Top Gear. This comic involves quick customs of Jeremy Clarkson and the Stig, and some Star In A Reasonably-Priced Car shenanigans involving one of Tony's many armors.

Development Hell

Harry attempts his own stage production of Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. Hilarity ensues. (The staging eventually gets canceled after Harry's script accidentally gets sold to the BBC and recycled as a Doctor Who episode. The Great Glass Elevator prop also gets recycled into a TARDIS prop.)

Mary Jane Kicks Mephisto's Butt

You know you wanna see it.

Bizarre Love Triangle

Besides Pete and Harry, some of my other recurring characters include Matt and Elektra and Kate and Renee. This one's about Kate coming to grips with Renee's super-hot ex, Morrigan Aensland.

Moonlighting

Tony doesn't know that his chauffeur Happy Hogan also moonlights as a lawyer.

If you've seen the Daredevil movie, you'll know why this is funny.

Anger Management

Matt tries to be supportive as Elektra attends an anger management group.

Who is the Hawk of Fate?

Some of you may remember my partner from the last Minimate Hunt Contest. This is a multi-part arc about the Hawk of Fate's backstory.

That's all I can remember from the top of my head so far. I'll be sure to keep this updated in case I dig up my other ideas from storage! ;)

Here's some more random ideas I just remembered:

Starbuck and Starbuck

What happens when the old and new Battlestar Galactica universes collide. Expect the interaction between the two Lee Adamas to become a running gag all throughout the comic.

Blade The Vampire Slayer

Given the existence of the Darkstalkers and Universal Monsters minimates (not to mention the vampire X-Men), this was bound to happen eventually.

True Art Is Incomprehensible

A new modern-art gallery opens in Minimate Land. Basically just an excuse for me to show off my miscellaneous Kidrobot figures.

Hammer Down

Set during the Dark Reign period in comic continuity, Justin Hammer hassles Norman Osborn about intellectual property rights.

Secret Invasion Redux

The Skrulls come back for revenge with a slightly different strategy. Another multi-part arc.

Renee Montoya saves the day.

Dear Diamond Select

Captain America takes the helm in this regular segment as the community clamors for some much-needed characters to be made in Minimate form.

Something something Ryan Reynolds

Still a work-in-progress, but definitely expect Deadpool, Hal Jordan and Silken Floss to be involved at some point.

The Fedora League

Renee and The Spirit start their own detective agency while ranting about the lack of an official Vic Sage minimate.

Meet the Hunkels

In my picfic continuity Ma Hunkel is Chef Duff's eccentric mom, while he's a struggling up-and-coming chef.

"Wait, he's your brother?!"

David North and Betsy Braddock are dating. She introduces him to her twin brother Brian. Awkward questions ensue.

Matt is a Man-Ho

Elektra comes to grips with Matt's embarrassingly long succession of ex-girlfriends. In this continuity Matt's also dated both Black Widow and the Magdalena.

Fun With Character Variants

Basically me trying to milk humor out of the numerous Spider-Man and Iron Man minimates we currently have.

It's A Living

Warren Worthington III gets a part-time job as a shoulder angel.

You're In The Wrong Movie

An offshoot of my Blade The Vampire Slayer idea above. Selene is involved.

Harry Osborn's Love Life

Exactly what it says on the tin. In my continuity Harry has dated dated She-Hulk, Harley Quinn and Kate Kane (before he knew she was a lesbian) all to comically disastrous results. He eventually gets better luck when he gets set up on a date with Mary Marvel.

Speaking of Mary Marvel...

What happens when you get her in the same room as Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel and the other Ms. Marvel?

The Inevitable Valentine's Day Strip

Dr. Doom and Namor all one-upping each other over giving a then-single Sue Storm the perfect Valentine, until Reed Richards one-ups them both by quoting xkcd.

Edited by NorthRaider

I like all these ideas :D

my owns coming along at a good snails pace, I've taken all the pics and have loads of storys all worked out it's just time to do it all (& dst bringing out new mates that want to use!!! ) anyway I'm sure it'll all come together in end & I look forward to more story ideas :)

Edited by winkerbean

I know the feeling. I used to make sprite comics (please don't look down on me...) but focused more on serious, plot driven and character development based series (with a hint of DBZ in fights etc.) as I knew I couldn't write the kind of jokes some of the best in the business do. I'd love to make a minimate comic (especally one that belittles my least favourite heroes) but I know my jokes couldn't do it the kind of justice I'd want.

Blade The Vampire Slayer, Fun With Character Variants, It's A Living and You're In The Wrong Movie. Are you picturing these as various installments of one series or as stand alone series?

I know the feeling. I used to make sprite comics (please don't look down on me...) but focused more on serious, plot driven and character development based series (with a hint of DBZ in fights etc.) as I knew I couldn't write the kind of jokes some of the best in the business do. I'd love to make a minimate comic (especally one that belittles my least favourite heroes) but I know my jokes couldn't do it the kind of justice I'd want.

It's nice to know there's a healthy contingent of us aspiring comic-makers here in the Multiverse! Over the past few months I've read a ton of different styles of webcomics - some very short, some very long, all entertaining in their own uniquely fun or geeky way. The really good ones make it look easy, but I think there remain a couple of tips and tricks I've gathered about how they used to do their craft. So far I've gathered that a good webcomic takes a lot of dedication, really loving what you do, and baiting in new readers by keeping the updated quick and regular :teehee:

Blade The Vampire Slayer, Fun With Character Variants, It's A Living and You're In The Wrong Movie. Are you picturing these as various installments of one series or as stand alone series?

The little Minimate universe I cooked up in my head plays out mostly like a comedy webcomic, so expect it to play fast and loose with continuity with a mixture of one-off gags, longer mini-arcs and the odd recurring segment.

Blade The Vampire Slayer is ideally going to be a recurring/semi-regular segment in my universe depending on how many supernatural monsters I can get him to go after (think a vampire version of Tom And Jerry :tongue:), with You're In The Wrong Movie possibly being a single "episode" from it. Fun With Character Variants is going to be much the same way, first it'll focus on the countless Spidey/Wolverine variants, then later sort out the more low-key Minimates that still have an inexplicable number of variants like Kirk from Star Trek or Ben Grimm (yes, I still can't live that down.)

It's A Living is probably going to turn into a multi-part story arc, as I imagined this weird scenario in my head where Warren goes into the Shoulder Angel Labor Union or something :lol:

Make a go of it NR. What do you have to lose? I used to think making one's own web-comic was to complicated until I was shown the light by Murderofcrows and minijeff. Download the Comic Life software and the rest will come easier than you think. It's a very addictive program.

Yeah my plots usually involve intense story driven arcs that are often sparse on action and VERY high on dialogue and intrigue. It usually involves casting the characters in a nonspecific war. It's kinda like WWII but instead of being in the past it's in more of the 1960s. Kinda if the war had gone on that long and had turned less into a battlefield war and more into a cold spy/intrigue war. Characters stay close to their original ideas except some, like Deadpool, lose their powers and become more like just soldiers who happen to wear masks. I really want to make this thing, but I'm just too damn lazy honestly. I mean, I've got huge storylines, funny moments (Like when Doc Ock is killed off in his first appearance, the arms attempt to make a robotic Doc Ock called AUTO Octavius. They fail miserably and it winds up being an obvious robot that the POWs have to pretend is human or they'll be shot. Eventually this robot is captured and the arms are removed and it kinda becomes like a horrifying puppy in the Allied camp.) and genuine surprises (like the Red Skull's true identity which shakes the very foundation the villains stand on). If anyone wants to hear the full story I'd be glad to tell it. But if not, then feel free to ignore me. :D

Aww, maybe we should put up a "I Want To Make Minimate Comics But I Don't Have The Time Or Talent" support group :P

I actually kinda like a bunch of those ideas, Trekker! Seconding the fun idea of playing out a whole little Minimate Cold War, maybe we can have Lex and Tony playing off each other while dipping back into arms dealing! Do share what other neat ideas you've had (don't worry, I won't steal any of them ;))

My stories usually dip too much in either slapstick comedy or that soap operatic romantic-tension-up-the-wazoo nonsense, I always get stuck when I attempt to write action. :biggrin:

Aww, maybe we should put up a "I Want To Make Minimate Comics But I Don't Have The Time Or Talent" support group :P

I actually kinda like a bunch of those ideas, Trekker! Seconding the fun idea of playing out a whole little Minimate Cold War, maybe we can have Lex and Tony playing off each other while dipping back into arms dealing! Do share what other neat ideas you've had (don't worry, I won't steal any of them ;))

My stories usually dip too much in either slapstick comedy or that soap operatic romantic-tension-up-the-wazoo nonsense, I always get stuck when I attempt to write action. :biggrin:

at least you're not getting stuck up the wazoo :)

if you send me a script and some rough ideas i would be happy to arrange, and letter pics in comic life for you

moc847