UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How do you fix broken Minimate knees?

Dio

I got a GSXM Colossus in the mail, and both of his knees were broken. Is there a way to glue them back on but still have them articulated?

I also need advice on hip joints. The legs won't move on a GSXM Nightcrawler, and I'm not sure if it would be better to freeze it or heat it up.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are 2 types of knee assemblies:

- Thigh and Calf attached with a seperate pin piece (3 piece assembly - most 'mates have this configuration)

- Thigh and Calf attached with the pin tooled to one of the other pieces (2 piece assembly - this is the one I'm not sure about)

I'm guessing that the 'pin' is what is broken in the knees? If so, you should be able to get a similarly colored pin from a Silver Surfer or other plentiful 'mate that has the same shade of paint, but getting the broken pin pieces out may be tricky. Try taking a sewing needle or other item that size and pushing the broken pin pieces out. You may want to soak them in warm water first.

Yeah, the warm soapy water trick usually works with stuck hip pieces too, like BHM mentioned.

• 1 month later...

Since we're talking about fixing figures, I have a fig with an arm that refuses to stay on. It looks like the cup part that attaches to the shoulder peg is too open, so it slips off the ball. Any ideas on how to fix that?

super glue

put a drop in the arm-cup, put it on the arm peg and keep it moving for about a minute (if you stop it will harden and it's destoryed) if you keep it moving the glue with not bond the two pieces but instead form a shell on the two pieces that creates a tighter hold. It also works on weak knees.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to pull this back up (again), but I moved and had to unpack the computer and the toy to take a look...

Since we're talking about fixing figures, I have a fig with an arm that refuses to stay on. It looks like the cup part that attaches to the shoulder peg is too open, so it slips off the ball. Any ideas on how to fix that?

super glue.

put a drop in the arm-cup, put it on the arm peg and keep it moving for about a minute (if you stop it will harden and it's destoryed) if you keep it moving the glue with not bond the two pieces but instead form a shell on the two pieces that creates a tighter hold. It also works on weak knees.

it's not a loose joint, it's like the cup is malformed. instead of a nice U shape, the top is open like this \_/ and I'm afraid adding super glue (or anything else) inside will make the problem worse. I can't think of anything that will close the top beside sculpting epoxy, and that won't be stable for a joint

Edited by MrMunkeepants

you could try reshaping the plastic by heating it in very hot water then holding it in desired position while running under cold water. This method doesnt always work but it is simple and worth a shot if you dont want to go the glue route

• 9 months later...

Figured I would keep using this thread instead of staring a new one. I recently moved and was setting up my minimates again. As I did this I would give the joints on each minimate a move around and when I moved the arm of Jane Foster the peg broke. It didn't come completely off so the arm is still hanging on there but I am not sure what to do to fix it at this point and still maintain the moveability of that arm. Suggestions?

That's the worst. I would always be worried the joint would break again with just superglue. I've never tried this with Minimates, but with other toys to do a similar repair I developed a little technique to help keep it in place and retain articulation. I'd take a little pin or needle and clip it off so that I'd have a small, thin rod with one pointy end and one flat end. I'd then grip the rod with pliers and heat up the pointy end, and push it into the smaller of the two pieces, not too deep. Then I'd pull it out, reheat, and push the pin-rod into the larger portion, leaving just a bit of the rod out. Then I could push the smaller piece back onto the rod, and it would stay just fine. This worked great for hand-pegs that needed to only retain swivel articulation. For other joints, depending on the the structure, I would dab a little superglue on the area before pushing the two pieces together. The Mezco Hellboy figures had a terrific torso joint that was unfortunately prone to breaking. I repaired a couple of Hellboys' and Kriegaffe's torso joints with this method, and they've held up fine. I don't know if that would work with Minimates as they seem to be made of harder plastic.

Figured I would keep using this thread instead of staring a new one. I recently moved and was setting up my minimates again. As I did this I would give the joints on each minimate a move around and when I moved the arm of Jane Foster the peg broke. It didn't come completely off so the arm is still hanging on there but I am not sure what to do to fix it at this point and still maintain the moveability of that arm. Suggestions?

I bought a Jane Foster not too long ago and the exact same thing happened. Right out of the box and the arm peg cracked right off, peg still in the shoulder socket. I tried to move it when it broke off and the peg was still locked tightly in place in the shoulder socket of the arm. My main worry with gluing it back on is if I tried to move it again, it would just break off and I'd be screwed. Alas, I had no other options, so I glued her arm peg back on, still attached to the arm because I couldn't remove it, and left it overnight. The next morning I checked to make sure the bond was holding well with just slight fidgeting, not really putting pressure on it one way or the other and then stuck it in the freezer for about half an hour. Took it out and with some slow, minor motions got it loose and now it's good as new. So all I have to say is that Jane Foster seems to be able to take quite a bit of punishment and keep on going.

Hope that helps.