UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

LOTR online beta

Well LOTRO is going free to play sometime soonish and I got selected for the Beta. What i was wondering is if any of you guys signed up for it and if any of you played it before?

I really want to know if it's good. It'll be my first MMO experience.

no but it sounds fun

I was one of the first who bought it here in Germany and therefore got a lifetime membership, which means I don't have to pay any monthly fee to play. Although I haven't played it since I left for NY last summer, I really enjoyed it.

Since I really like roleplaying games, I played the game as much as I could in-character. Playing it like this, letting your character act like he/she'd really be part of Middle Earth, slowly getting to know those things happening somewhere in the East and regulary having no idea of the whole rumors about that ring thing - all in all you are a farmer, a hunter, a cook, etc. minding your own important business - it was greatest fun! Besides the adventures you play - the whole fighting and exploring thing the game provides you - the best moments - wait, hours that is - were, when players gathered, went fishing, talked about the tobacco they've planted this season, sitting in taverns, playing games, making music, hunting deer, etc. The European system is seperated from the US one, and as far as I know, in the US is no explicit "Roleplay Server" as it is in Europe. Consequence might be, that while you are saying something like "Alas, good to see a friendly face in those dark times" (sorry I'm not used to that kind of English language you might use in those conversations, but I guess you'll get the point), the other one might answer "Rofl im afk" which isn't very atmospheric at all.

I don't know how good it is just in sense of regular gameplay without roleplaying interactions. But as long as you find some really nice players, it is really, really great in sense of roleplaying and you'll love the details when you walk through the Shire and stop at Bilbo's house and see the big tree, where the birthday party took place. Or the first time you enter Rivendell... (I should re-install the game... Wait, don't have any time... aaargh!)