UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Sticking to the list

gambitron

So I have a list (that is printed out from a file that I continually update on my computer) that I keep in my wallet that has a list of all the upcoming toys that I want, where they might be exclusive to (like TRU minimates) and if I have them preordered or not. This is to make sure I keep track of everything I want and also to try to limit the amount of what I buy. This can prove difficult ona day like today when IM2 figures hit shelves and I bought a bunch of those. I love finding something that is on my list and crossing it off but often find something I think I want but can't decided whether to buy it or not because it is not on the list. My minimate list got down to an all time low until Toy Fair and now is longer than it has ever been! But these are on the list so I never have a problem buying them becasue I decided in advance to buy them.

Do any of you do something like this? I felt very weak today as I slid my card in the machine to buy 40$ worth of IM2 figures. So do any of you have those puchases that just kind of make you feel a little bad inside?*

*note- despite my feeling bad I still think these IM2 figures are great, but I did feel bad enough that I think I will be able to resist anymore purchases of these figures (especially since there will be IM2 minimates soon!

I'm not sure if this is related, but I always keep a mental list of cool stuff I eyeing and am "perpetually saving for" given my "perpetually broke" status. Once in a while I do write everything down to keep track of stuff I'm still looking or budgeting for.

But yeah, I do get the impulse buy blues as well. Mostly I end up buying random stuff like art supplies, books, music and (gasp!) clothes and shoes whenever I fall into such a binge. :pinch:

I don't carry a physical copy around, but I do have a notepad file just like that on my computer desktop (titled 'Addict' :( ). I like it because seeing the ridiculous amount I spend on toys all in one place helps me decide whether I really "need" to buy something or if I can cut it. Plus it gives me some semblance/pretence of a budget, and lets me know if a killer month is coming up so I can try and save up a bit.

Impulse buys can be a bummer once the purchase high fades though, yeah. I try to stick to the list, and set a dollar limit for any potential impulse buys or items that unexpectedly pop up on eBay (not that I've never broken that limit!).

I know it's the go-to joke, but I honestly equate collecting to drug addiction at times... :blink:

Less depressing edit: After reading this over, I should add that I do love toys and collecting! I just spend too much, but I think everyone does on something... :)

Edited by battlecat

I should do something like that, but no. I just buy everything I want and have to perpetually keep selling things on eBay to pay for it. :lol:

Seriously though. I sold about $500 of crap on eBay last month and ended up with the same amount in my checking account as I usually do come payday, because I bought so much junk. Right now I've got my eye on a very expensive toy that I want and probably will buy, but I wasn't even thinking about it a couple weeks ago. I'll sell a couple things to pay for it, though, so that allows me to justify it. I guess I like being a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants buyer.

--edit: as Battlcat says, the thrill is really in hunting and obtaining something. Once you get it, most of the time, the thrill starts to fade ASAP. Understanding this, I don't mind buying an expensive thing as long as I know that I can re-sell it for (at least) what I paid. That way, I get the enjoyment of obtaining something, can get rid of it when the "thrill is gone," and move on to the next thing. This system works for me.--

Edited by karamazov80

Haha compared to all of you this'll be a lot shorter.

I do, although i keep Minimates off of it. For me it's sort of a "what i want to buy" while Minimates are a "need to buy." (ignoring crack addiciton jokes. :P) For instance, i have had Medicom's RAH Soviet Snake on the list for a hell of a long time, but there is no way in hell i'll have him before my birthday. I keep Trade Paperbacks like upcomin GA/BC and GL books on there too, as well as upcoming Mattycollector purchases.

Nice organizing tool for playing around with money and knowing what you want more than others. Just wish Snake would eventually be #1 on the list. :P

Funny you mention that Snake figure. I just saw him at Alter Ego Comics, about $50 cheaper than he is available most places:

http://www.alteregocomics.com/store/catalo...ure-p-5812.html

Wowzers!!!!! That's the cheapest i've seen him (i don't even dare go to eBay...besides not having an account)!! Thanks so much, K80. That is a huge, huge help.

Snake just moved up a few spots on my list. :lol:

If not for his weird tan, he would probably be pretty high on my list, as well. I love the Kubrick version. Here are some more pics of him I saw recently, if you haven't seen them:

http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2009/10/medic...old-war_24.html

I love Metal Gear as much as the next guy, but Medicom's shoddy paint work and overall quality is pretty inexcusable given their ridiculous prices. Hot Toys are generally cheaper, but miles ahead, quality-wise. I wish they would get the Metal Gear license.

Edited by karamazov80

It's a matter of budgeting. When you know, at the beginning of a month, how much you are allowing yourself to spend, and you know you've got to make that last for the whole month, you are very careful in what you do and do not get. It has not been an easy transition from "buying what I want when I want it" to "yeah that's really, really cool, but I gotta pass". But my toy spending was part of what sent us into a nice deep hole full of red ink. And if I can stick to this, and dig our way out as fast as we can, then I'll be able to go back to being a lot more free with my personal spending money. And right now, staying current with minimates and the occasional older mate or Transformer is about all I can afford.