UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate collecting tips?

So I started working on this list of very basic Minimate collecting tips I figured someone just starting out in the hobby might need to know. The list pretty much arose from necessity after a whole bunch of guys starting asking for Minimate advice on our local collector's forum.

I figured I'd just post a convenient list somewhere to instantly refer to whenever the need arose, you can find it here:

http://accidentallambofgod.multiply.com/jo...ou_Need_To_Know

Obviously since I've only been collecting Minimates for a couple of years, this may not be all of the best advice available for other newbies. ("Blind leading the blind" and all that.) This list is just some of the stuff I've come to find was more helpful or applicable from my own personal experience.

Do you guys think I need to change or correct anything else?

Edited by NorthRaider

Nicel ooking list. The only thing I'd perhaps say is expand the "loose minimate" section. Using past experiences as an example, I bought a lose Battle Damaged cap without the bracket that attaches the sheild to his arm (good thing I had the Invaders boxset), a Dr Fate without his hair piece and a Hawkeye missing the bracket that attaches the arrow to the bow. You might want to put in a note like "Contact the seller to confirm what it comes with" or something similar.

Other than that, nice work.

Nicel ooking list. The only thing I'd perhaps say is expand the "loose minimate" section. Using past experiences as an example, I bought a lose Battle Damaged cap without the bracket that attaches the sheild to his arm (good thing I had the Invaders boxset), a Dr Fate without his hair piece and a Hawkeye missing the bracket that attaches the arrow to the bow. You might want to put in a note like "Contact the seller to confirm what it comes with" or something similar.

Other than that, nice work.

That's a pretty good idea, although the loose Minimates section was originally meant to address this specific phenomenon. For some reason it's common on eBay for some of us to find these random lots of old loose Marvel and C3 mates while missing some standard pieces. Around here these same mates also appear at some seller's booth whenever local convention season comes around. The list is almost always the same (from memory):

-Most of the C3 miniflyer mates: Batgirl (always without her hairpiece... and mistaken for Batman), Riddler (always without his hatless hair and question mark cane)

-Silver Surfer (without surfboard)

-Peter Parker/Spider-Man (aka the "Spider Sense" mate)

-brown suit Professor X (sometimes comes with Cerebro, but never with his wheelchair)

-wave 2 Green Goblin

-Battle Damaged Daredevil (without batons)

-Ultimate Sabertooth

-wave 1 Bullseye (without his knife thingies)

... you get my point. I figured since a lot of newbies are more likely to come across these mates as their firsts, I figured I'd take that extra precaution and advise about these.

I'll try modifying my blog to reflect this bit. Anything else?

Good basic list, NR.

I'd add, just from experience collecting other lines, take some time and educate yourself about what you're looking for. For minimates, that means hitting Central and the Database.

Which if I'd have moused over the links, I'd have seen you already included... NVM

Edited by Mirymate

To add onto what BHM posted when buying lots look for high dollar figures. The lot may go for more but it will pan out better. For instance I bought a lot or 45 'mates with a Stealth Iron Man in it for $110 little over the $2 mark but definitely worth it. Did you mention the 3 inchers?

Excellent stuff 'Raider . My $0.02 .........patience will keep costs down ,as will buying large lots . Large lots invariably sell for far less than their actual individual value & shipping one large lot is far less than accumulating characters one at a time & paying shipping each time.

Also buying in lots you can break out the stuff you don't want and resell it or trade for the stuff you do need. About two summers ago I put 50$ on my paypal account and bought lots took out what I wanted and resold the rest. Usually I made back what I bought plus some doing that. after about 4 months I still had that $50.