UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Year of the Minimate

Since this is the time of year when people reflect on the happenings that were in it, I thought I'd give a quick run-down of what we got this year. I'm pretty sure that Chuck said that this year would be 'The Year of the Minimate' and he was not joking.

total Minimates released during 2009-200 Minimates

And if you average those out at $3.75 a mate (some are less, some are a little more):

total cost of said Minimates-$750 US

That total does not include tax, shipping or army building. That also doesn't include the number of Minimates with enough extra parts (hair, etc) to make different version. Of course, there were also 10 exclusives/promos to be found this year.

Maybe this seems like useless trivia for some, but I thought I'd share for anyone else who felt like their wallet was a little lighter this year (yes, there's a good reason for it). Of course, the big question is, will next year be bigger?

And feel free to correct/dispute my math.

Edited by groundhog7s

I changed the number in my first post and here is how I came to the total:

Marvel

13 4-packs=52

6 regular waves@ 7 per wave=42

TRU unique Minimates=24 (not including duplicated mates)

BSG

TRU unique Minimates=18 (not including 2 duplicated Mates)

Mini-flyer Minimates=4

Ghostbusters

3 4-packs=12

TRU unique Minimates=16 (not including 4 duplicated Mates)

2 exclusive 2-packs=4

T2

1 4-pack=4

TRU unique Minimates=2

2 exclusive 2-packs=4

2 waves @ 4 per wave=8

4 single packs=4 (not including duplicated Mate)

Spirit

1 4-pack=4

1 2-pack=2

total=200

Some of the ones I consider duplicated mates are the Cylon, Mortar Cylon, Web Armor Spidey, etc. Some might consider those unique, but I didn't. I did keep the Razor Cylon because there are differences in it that make it different than the originals. Plus, there were actually 11 promos this year. But, even if it is subjective, it's still an amazing amount of mates.

And next year its the year of the Tiger :D

oh wait minimates arent a chinese sign...my bad :sweat:

i couldnt even get 5 newer minimates this year :S

the postmen wouldnt allow it for some reason

That's scary and I think has forced me to have a hard look at my collecting. I can see me closing Ghostbusters after the 3rd box set and only concentrating on Marvel in 2010. That's probably going to be challenging enough what with the TRU exclusives and Iron-Man 2 blowouts. :(

Skint New Year!!! :D

As much as I love me some new minimates I wouldn't feel hurt if we get less minimates next year than we did this year. . . or atleasy my wallet wouldn't be hurt. :D I am fairly certian I got every single minimate this year since I got the exclusives at SDCC.

Frankly, having too many of these figures released is a good problem to have, in my opinion. And though they add up, they are surely worth it. I just wish these were the only things I collected :(

Oh gosh... I still regret picking TUESDAY of all four days to leave the SDCC!!! (I took a break from it but went back the rest of the days)

I don't have the Dark Avengers....! I have the Sentry, Ms Marvel, Ares and Hawkeye, but not the better half! ;_;