UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Back in Black

drgnrbrn316

My guess: the other. For Marvel to kill MJ would be a great show in how they are out of ideas. Yeah, by making him single again, it would open the door to future relationships with all sorts of females, either heroes, villains, or civilians. But to kill her would just mirror Gwen's death too closely. Plus, MJ wasn't fond of the black costume, so wearing it to remember her would seem more of a cold gesture than a fond memory. I'm not ruling out putting her out of the picture, I just say they shouldn't or wouldn't kill her. A better way to rid Spidey of the wife is to have them booted from Stark Tower following Spidey's actions in Civil War, which puts the family in danger. So, they spirit away to some place safe, away from Peter, be it temporary or permanently.

It will be more eveidence that Marvel just doesn't know what the heck they are doing. (Joe Q)

All they are doing is mismanaging arguably the franchise character.

Whoever came up with the idea, I just hope it wasn't Joe Q. He has no clue of who Spider-man is.

Maybe they could have her die driving the family car through a storm with Peter safely in the back only she gets superpowers from the storm and bursts out of the windshield as the all-powerful... uh... Firebird! Yeah, firebird. Anyway, she eventually turns into the Dark Firebird and Peter has to kill her while listening to Dark Side of the Moon, dressed as Spidey Black otherwise she might destroy continuity as we know it. Then they can resurrect her every now and again and kill her off in various special double issues and maybe add a few miniseries. And they can even kick off a whole new Spidey series called Spider-Factor where the original MJ turns out to have been coccooned under the car the whole time...

Totally original plot I just pulled out of my head there. Joe Q is welcome to it.

I doubt that. I mean, if it was true, Spidey would grow his own web shooters or something.....

*lets a long sob at how crappy modern Spidey has become because of things like that*

I think thats sarcasm, but if not, he does now have natural web shooters. I can really tell from the tone of your voice if its sarcasm. all i hear is (Damn, She-Hulk's looking fine tonight!

Really people, i mean come on, mavel doesnt care about us old comic lovers any more. All they want is money. For instance, how come every cover today explains nothing of what is happening in the comic? most covers today are just a huge shot of the main character doing some lame pose. It is truely sad what the comic market has come to.

really people, i mean come on, mavel doesnt care about us old comic lovers any more. All they want is money. For instance, how come every cover today explains nothing of what is happening in the comic? most covers today are just a huge shot of the main character doing some lame pose. It is truely sad what the comic market has come to.

I'm a big fan of the old comic generation. Don't leave me out! :P

LOVE the black costume. Web of Spiderman had some great stories. Kraven's Last Hunt is my altime fav spidey story. If he's headed towards darker times I'm there!

And Back in Black is my ringer on my phone...great song!

Hey, I'm all for visiting the old favorites. I wasn't into comics back during the original black costume days, so for me to get that same thrill from the new version would be kinda nice.

And I'm all for changing characters around, so long as its done respectfully and for the right reasons. With the current events in the Marvel Universe, it makes sense for Spidey to unmask, and as a result it will bring in a whole bunch of new conflicts and struggles that should make for some interesting story telling. He didn't have that much to lose anyway, since a great deal of his villains knew who he was in some way or another. I'd rather see the end result of the world knowing than another "short term amnesia" story where they make someone conveniently forget it.

Another costume change also makes sense, to some degree. We know that Spidey is going to switch sides at some point during Civil War, meaning that he'll likely have to ditch the Iron Spidey costume, either by repossession or because he doesn't trust the link it has between him and Tony. Red and blue has been used so much that the world would recognize it, so he may don the black to keep a lower profile. Or we could see a death, as has been mentioned before, where wearing black in a show of sorrow would also make sense.

But I don't think revisiting old ideas or making character changes are automatically bad. It's not raping a character's legacy to try and progress character development. Except the whole Gwen Stacy/Norman Osborn thing. That was just bad. Hopefully its revealed that that Gwen was the clone and the real one never touched Osborn.