murderofcrows

I can get pretty good deals on both

ds lite 98 no games

dsi 5 games loaded for 169

anyone in the know, please let me know which is the better grab

thanks in advance

moc847

DSI has some good things going for it.

It has a camera and all of that snazzy stuff.

But I still have a bunch of Game Boy games, and the DSI doesn't have a port for the cartridges.

So in MY opinion, I would go DS Lite

Lucky for you, I work at gamestop, and have answered this question thousands of times :P.

Dsi, as a piece of hardware, is gears toward preteens and up. Since it utilizes a camera (albeit .3 mp) and has internet capability, it is almost a kids version of an ipod touch or smart phone in a sense. The screens are also 20% bigger on the dsi. It, however, does not play any gba games, unlike the ds lite. For the savings, I feel like the ds lite offers much more value for the dollar, as it strips away the gimmicks that the dsi includes yet still feels like a nice handheld system.

In other words, unless she demands the dsi, get the ds lite :)

I prefer the dsi for my use, but that's because I don't play any old GBA games, and I don't play Guitar Hero on DS. I went with the DSi for the larger screens.

However, if you're looking at playing GBA games or saving a few dollars, then the DS Lite is the better buy.

I think a lot of the points have already been mentioned. Those 5 bundled games you mentioned sounds like the Black Friday bundles (Mario and the Brain Teaser bundles) and those are from the DSi Store library which the DSlite can’t access. It is like the iTunes store (but much smaller) where you can buy casual games and apps that typically run from $2-$8. Currently, Amazon has those bundles cheaper than the price you listed, if we’re talking about the same thing.

I vote for the DSi. My coworker has a daughter and he is planning to get her a DSlite, but one of the daughter’s friends just got a DSi and now she wants one too. Kids want the latest and greatest and it’ll save you hassle later if she bugs you for a DSi. And if this is your daughter’s first handheld, she probably won’t care too much about GBA games. I personally don't have a DSi since I don't see the price worth it for me to upgrade right now, but I can see the upgrades being fun for others. Either choice, I'm sure she will love the gift! :)

This is hard for us to give you "advice" on, but we can give you facts.

DS

-Plays DS Software

-Plays GBA Software

-Ability to use the Guitar Attachment for Guitar Hero.

-No Camera

-Smaller Screens

DSi

-Plays DS Software

-Extendable Media via SD Card Slot

-Allows for Downloadable Games to be Played and Stored

-Cannot play GBA Software, no slot

-Has 2 Cameras

-Screens are Larger, slightly

Now, I have both systems and I will say they are basically the same thing. If Nintendo had a decent download section I would recommend the DSi without a doubt. But the fact remains, most, if not all, of the Downloadable games are poor quality failed attempts at games. So, at the end of the day you are looking at GBA games vs Cameras. And that is for you to decide. However, both play DS games and the DS has some of the best games of our generation! neo