UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel's New Universe

Jatta Pake

Marvel is launching the newuniverse (again) in December about an alternate Earth classified Earth-555 (oppossed to Earth-616 which is the Marvel-Earth).

My prime comic book reading days were 1984-1989 so I remember very well getting all of the first issues of the New Universe. I seem to remember D.P.7 being my favorite.

What are your thoughts on this new upcoming relaunch of the New Universe from Marvel? Dumb idea from Quesada or a new spin on an idea that never really took off like it should?

I'm starting to wonder if we soon won't need the Anti-Monitor to visit the Marvel Universes and start culling the herd of alternate Earths like he did for DC in the 1980s.

(Wow, I am turning into such a comic book nerd now.) :D

What do you think of the New Universe?

I dig the Ultimate universe and the occassional What If? universe, but anything beyond that gets far too complicated. What exactly is the New Universe? If the New Universe is just a retelling of the 616 stories, then we already have that: The Ultimate Universe.

On a side note, Exiles is a decent series, and visiting some of these different worlds is (again) interesting, but by having them correct problems in these divergent worlds, doesn't that negate the need for a divergent world? By me changing a problem in Earth-911, wouldn't it just merge it with the Earth-912 that spawned off of that point in time?

I dig the Ultimate universe and the occassional What If? universe, but anything beyond that gets far too complicated. What exactly is the New Universe? If the New Universe is just a retelling of the 616 stories, then we already have that: The Ultimate Universe.

The New Universe was an ill fated marketing gimmick begun in the mid-1980s by Marvel to launch a whole new line of comic books contained within a 'more real' universe called the New Universe. Time would pass just like it did in the real world and characters would change appropriately. The New Universe did not have mythological gods, magic, and other messy concepts that afflicted the regular Marvel Universe. Basically the 'White Event' was a singular flash that created all super-heroes on a single day. And Pittsburgh gets nuked a couple years later. Oh, and the U.S. goes to war with South Africa.

Needless to say, the series tanked.

On a side note, Exiles is a decent series, and visiting some of these different worlds is (again) interesting, but by having them correct problems in these divergent worlds, doesn't that negate the need for a divergent world? By me changing a problem in Earth-911, wouldn't it just merge it with the Earth-912 that spawned off of that point in time?

I haven't read Exiles but it seems like a good question. What moral right do the Exiles have for mucking up and changing other realities?

The New Universe was an ill fated marketing gimmick begun in the mid-1980s by Marvel to launch a whole new line of comic books contained within a 'more real' universe called the New Universe. Time would pass just like it did in the real world and characters would change appropriately. The New Universe did not have mythological gods, magic, and other messy concepts that afflicted the regular Marvel Universe. Basically the 'White Event' was a singular flash that created all super-heroes on a single day. And Pittsburgh gets nuked a couple years later. Oh, and the U.S. goes to war with South Africa.

Needless to say, the series tanked.

Were they the same characters we know and love, only recreated, or was this one of those divergent realities that couldn't really be connected to the regular 616?

Were they the same characters we know and love, only recreated, or was this one of those divergent realities that couldn't really be connected to the regular 616?

Completely new characters. None of the characters you know and love were part of the New Universe.

The (central/most famous/recognized?) character from the New Universe was Star Brand. Marvel later tied Star Brand's history/timeline in with Marvel's Quasar. Don't ask me how. The Star Brand is the most powerful force in the New Universe.

Read about all the characters here.

Okay, as someone who reads exiles I'm ready to answer some questions:

First up, CRISIS SURVIVOR, Exiles recently went to New Universe. Less than a year ago during "World Tour."

drgn, what you have to understand is that universes 911 & 912 already exist and were split a long time ago. The Exiles merely fix what needs to be fixed now.

Think abbout it:

The Exiles go to "Age of Apocalypse" world and stop him. Would their universe become the "crap hole" of "Heroes Reborn" earth? Or vise versa?

Okay, as someone who reads exiles I'm ready to answer some questions:

First up, CRISIS SURVIVOR, Exiles recently went to New Universe. Less than a year ago during "World Tour."

drgn, what you have to understand is that universes 911 & 912 already exist and were split a long time ago. The Exiles merely fix what needs to be fixed now.

Think abbout it:

The Exiles go to "Age of Apocalypse" world and stop him. Would their universe become the "crap hole" of "Heroes Reborn" earth? Or vise versa?

sorry i just started reading exiles about a month ago and i am trying to catch up with every one else on the story

i am on volume 3 about to get volume 4-5 soon

What I still don't understand is how a universe can be "broken" and need "fixing". I always just assumed that taking an existing universe and changing some point in it just created a divergent world. Like, when Xavier was killed by his time traveling son, it created the Earth-295 universe, more commonly called Age of Apocalypse. So why does it matter if one reality accidentally merges Wolverine with Magneto and others, and why does someone have to jump into this reality to stop it?

Some kind of domino affect is the exiles explanation..

I'd prefer something along the lines that certain scenarios may give birth to entities with the ability to destroy the multiverse and as such these realities need fixing to prevent those events taking place.

That would be a justifyable thing, I suppose, but you sure didn't see them lifting a finger to fix the House of M, which was supposed to be on the brink of destroying everything, according to Excalibur.

LOL Good point Ady. :D

That's cool CRISIS. I only started picking them up a year ago when I found out my fav. Comic team (from Negation) were working together again on Exiles (Tony Bedard & Paul Pelletier). It's no Negation, but the comic is fun with some things REALLY resembling Negation (Like the issue where Proteus takes over Morph).

drgn, Ady's right. It's a "domino" effect. One universe will destroy the next & the next, bla, bla bla.

To my understanding it's all about keeping Earth itself in one piece. Even if Earth, in that Reality is a dump.

I know I'm teetering off topic, but has anyone here read "The Negation"?

BY FAR my fav. comic. Actually, it's what got me back into comics after not buying any for 5 years.

YES!!!

Jatta, I know you've talked a lot about picking up Trades. And Negation (The first trade paperback was called "Bohica") is one I THUROUGHLY suggest.

I LOVE the book and am willing to describe it if anyone's interested.

The only problem?

You might have trouble tracking it down because the comics company who made it (CG) went out of business 2 years ago. :(

Because Marvel and continuity dont mix? :P

dang straight

and i for one am still confused about the hole beyond thing is it going on at the same time as civil war or is it in the future

if any of you can help me on this pleas tell me

and i my self like the ultimate universe in part and am looking forward to the new universe now that i know more about the old new universe