UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Does anybody know how to repair toy cars?

Rad

Specifically replacing the axles on hot wheels/Pixar Cars type toys.

My Son has a huge collection of Pixar and Hot wheels cars but being 3 years old can be a bit heavy handed with them. He's buckled the axles on a couple, one of which is one of the rubber tired race cars recently released in the Cars line. and I'd really like to fix it for him. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Rad, I have genuinely been googling 'repair toy cars' for the last half an hour ,with very little success, in the hope that I could help you & your son.

There was one glimmer of hope http://www.thetoyshop.com/InfantAndPrescho...-4321/EPN337774 although I guess you may or may not feel that I'm being helpful with that one but it proves I've been looking ;)

If you could possibly either PM me a pic of the problem or perhaps post a pic here then I will get my head around it .....failing that send me one ...I may know a man that can :thumbsup:

Rad, I have genuinely been googling 'repair toy cars' for the last half an hour ,with very little success, in the hope that I could help you & your son.

There was one glimmer of hope http://www.thetoyshop.com/InfantAndPrescho...-4321/EPN337774 although I guess you may or may not feel that I'm being helpful with that one but it proves I've been looking ;)

If you could possibly either PM me a pic of the problem or perhaps post a pic here then I will get my head around it .....failing that send me one ...I may know a man that can :thumbsup:

Cheers BHM, I've spent an evening googling for info myself. It just ain't out there :D

I'll try and send you something tonight (family permitting).

Awww, I wish you best of luck in finding repair help Rad :)

My advice probably means nothing in this situation, but one way to get possible help might be to do some research on how those kinds of cars are constructed, in the off chance that you can find a do-it-yourself solution. To my knowledge a lot of toy cars have these simple skinny steel rods as axles, maybe those can be found in a hardware store or someplace? :confused:

Cheers NR The bottom of the cars are riveted together front and back so getting them apart (and back together again) is nigh on impossible. You're right in that the axles are likely to just be simple steel rods but it's getting the wheels off and back on again safely that's foxing me.

• 2 months later...

was this ever taken care of?

Generally speaking heat applied to the front side of the axle entry point will allow you to remove the wheel from the axle (most use a soldering iron tip if the wheel hub cap is metal. If not then boiled water). Then slide the entire axle out, straighten or replace axle, apply a new bonding agent to the hole of the wheel taken off and your almost as good as new.

Glad i could help :)

IF you dont mind you can also drill the front of the rim to remove the wheel instead of heating it via boiled water or a soldering iron. A bit of filler putty (plumbers putty that hardens like metal or even apoxie sculpt, etc) after your done and paint works well afterwards to remove any potential blemish.

To follow on Customizer's excellent advice: it is generally best to replace the axle rather than trying to straighten the existing one, because:

1) Getting the original perfectly straight is nigh impossible. 2) You can substitute a stronger wire.

Consider straight pins or paper clips for source material. Best of luck, my friend.