UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Daylight Saving Time

Dio

It's always been the last Sunday of October, but apparently congress changed it at some point in 2009 to November 1st. But screw that noise, I'm staying up another hour to observe it XD Sadly some of the clocks in town have already set an hour back.

Edited by Dio

I don't know why, but I love DST. It actually moved to November a few years ago. I don't really mind the change, except that October no longer gets to be the longest month thanks to that extra hour. Fun fact: In 1975 due to the energy crisis, Congress had DST begin in February. That means poor little February that year lost an hour, making it only 27 days and 23 hours. So if anyone ever says, "Man, this has been the shortest month ever," you know the truth.

Much of the Northern Hemisphere and several other countries recognize DST or Summertime. But there are plenty of exceptions even within countries. Hawaii and Arizonia, for instance, do not recognize DST. Some parts of Australia recognize Summertime while others don't. We probably don't need it now, but I'm looking forward to the extra hour of sleep I'll get next weekend.

Here in Oz, we start DST @ the start of October.

I freaking love it. The weather starts to warm up & the it's still light till well after 8pm!

The days are too hot to do anything & you spend most of that time @ work, so it's nice to come out to a balmy evening & have enough light to do something outdoorsy after work.

I freaking love it. The weather starts to warm up & the it's still light till well after 8pm!

The days are too hot to do anything & you spend most of that time @ work, so it's nice to come out to a balmy evening & have enough light to do something outdoorsy after work.

I was educated by the American public school system, so you need to explain how it can be balmy in the middle of WINTER!! :P

I was educated by the American public school system, so you need to explain how it can be balmy in the middle of WINTER!! :P

I dont know the exact reasoning but basicly I remeber being told that Australia and that side of the world the seasons switch from say those in UK. So our/my summer is Australia winter season and the other way around.

http://www.the-north-pole.com/around/australia.html

And talking of getting confused on holidays. our friends down down can be confused at Easter be it with bunnies or bilbies. Me I'm a Bilby fan. I have actually won bets and beer because ppl didnt know about the easter bilby and thought I was winding them up.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

Well - when the US is furthest from the Sun. . . the other side of the world (Where Oz is) is closest! So your summer is our winter - and vice versa.

X-Mas is a summer holiday here. We go to the beach, have BBQ's, eat lots of nice sea-food and salads etc . . (well, i don't cause i'm a vegetarian). X-Mas in Australia has a totally different vibe to Europe & the States.