UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters minimates playset

I hope this isnt considered spamming, but alot of people might not see my intro thread, so I figured I should also post this in the movie/tv section with the other Ghostbusters minimate threads...

Im constructing a Ghostbusters themed firehouse playset to go with the GB minis - Ive been working on the designs for over a month (using my Real Ghostbusters box set as a base), and now I just need to have them printed (hopefully on decal paper to make less work) - it was originally going to be a 2 floor building w/ a firepole and staircase with 1 wall removable, but ended up being open on 1 side w/ no stairs and no firepole (I decided Im not that crafty)

here are my original designs

preview1r.th.jpgsideopen.th.jpginsidekiv.th.jpg

but for ver. 2, I changed the dimensions as well as the design - I decided to make it more like the movie firehouse etc...

side2x.th.jpgfirehousenew.th.jpgside1p.th.jpg

I altered things a little bit more, and finally came up with this (mockup)

mockup1.th.jpgmockup2l.th.jpg

Ive finished assembling the main structure (using 3 sheets of foamcore, craft GOOP and wide clear packing tape) - I havent put the 2nd floor in yet (its photoshopped above) but when the whole thing is finished I'll be sure to post pics here...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, this one is actually for my nephew for his birthday, I bought him all the available Ghostbusters minimates via eBay and this is to go with it - I might make a smaller version for a shelf to display my GB minimates but at this point there are no plans to produce these for sale - but when all is said and done I will upload all of my designs from the past couple weeks, possibly as 1 zip or rar of psd files so anyone can re-arrange the details (furniture, windows etc) to their liking so they'll be customizable too - it would be nice to get someone at DST interested in this (I have Matt Diamond on my facebook) but that likely wont happen, they'll likely just do basic sets that can encompass many of the minimate lines and not just one or two...

(...) alot of people might not see my intro thread (...)

That includes me, so a belated welcome from me, joeshmo!

Anyway, that design looks awesome and I'd really love to see some pics of the process! Great idea and nice details!

Oh, and I love your avatar! ;)

thanks, it's good to be here! I didnt know about the custom section, maybe one of the mods can move this thread over there? it would make more sense - as for my avatar, I cant take credit for it, I scanned the logo from one of my GB minimates boxes and recreated it in photoshop, here's a larger version w/ transparent background if anyone wants to use it:

signpng.png

thanks, it's good to be here! I didnt know about the custom section, maybe one of the mods can move this thread over there? it would make more sense - as for my avatar, I cant take credit for it, I scanned the logo from one of my GB minimates boxes and recreated it in photoshop, here's a larger version w/ transparent background if anyone wants to use it:

signpng.png

Off topic slightly, does anyone think that they might make a minimate of the guy above. No not Minijoeshmo you fool of a took, the ghost in the logo. I think it would be a great Minimate. Roll on wave 3, and wave 2 isn't even out yet!

Good stuff... mass produce 'em and we'll buy 'em ! Or at very least, please eventually provide us with the photoshop/illustrator files so we can make 'em ourselves.

So since you're a GB board transplant... help us out here. These minimates... are they a big deal among GB fans ? Are you finding that people who wouldn't normally buy toys or collectibles are interested in these ?

Certainly seems that way... I don't think I've ever seen demand like this for a minimate property... they're selling like hotcakes.

Off topic slightly, does anyone think that they might make a minimate of the guy above. No not Minijoeshmo you fool of a took, the ghost in the logo. I think it would be a great Minimate. Roll on wave 3, and wave 2 isn't even out yet!

I just netflixed the Real Ghostbusters season 1 (all these ghostbuster minimates got me jazzed up on GB, I've been watching the movies on AMC and will be renting the game when I get back from SDCC) and I was after seeing him dancing along in the intro I was thinking the same thing.

He could be the next Stay Puft/Slimer with all the variants they could do (aside from Glow-in-the-dark and clear they can do GB1 'shocked' expression, GB2 'happy' expression with peace sign hand, RGB shugging expression, RGB overly happy anime dancey face... probably more)

Good stuff... mass produce 'em and we'll buy 'em ! Or at very least, please eventually provide us with the photoshop/illustrator files so we can make 'em ourselves.

So since you're a GB board transplant... help us out here. These minimates... are they a big deal among GB fans ? Are you finding that people who wouldn't normally buy toys or collectibles are interested in these ?

Certainly seems that way... I don't think I've ever seen demand like this for a minimate property... they're selling like hotcakes.

I'll definitely upload the files for everyone to use, probably later this week - the GB minimates are absolutely a big deal to GB fans, there's a 10 page thread about them over on gbfans.com, weve been following them since at least February - afterall, these (and the upcoming mattycollector figures) are the first ever MOVIE figures that have been released, something we GB fans have been waiting years for - I cant say whether or not people who usually dont buy toys are buying these, but I myself dont buy toys very often anymore unless its something Im really passionate about like Ghostbusters (here's a pic of 90% of my collection)

toys1.th.jpg

and other then the Speed Racer figure, these are the first minimates Ive ever bought, and I really like them and will likely buy more in the future - my one beef with minimates is that they're kind of hard to stand up, are there any companies that make individual bases for figures?

GB minimates thread: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic....=54&t=10192

Wow, and here I thought we Multiversers were the only ones going crazy over these :D

my one beef with minimates is that they're kind of hard to stand up, are there any companies that make individual bases for figures?

Minimates usually have C3 feet (which means their feet have those holes at the bottom), so that they can stand on most common block-types like Lego, Mega Bloks and (of course) the short-lived C3 line itself. I don't know about actual places that sell individual stands though, however I imagine some Lego-supply sites like bricklink.com probably have something like 'em.

Only the old Lord Of The Rings Minimates actually came with specially-made individual stands for the 'mates themselves, come to think of it DST probably should've made bases like these for the other lines too.

Joe as I said over on GBFans,the Firehouse mock up looks great man,I can't wait to get my hands on your Firehouse files as well,I'm actually planning on building a big Firehouse out of styrene that will have everything the movie and game Firehouse had.

He could be the next Stay Puft/Slimer with all the variants they could do (aside from Glow-in-the-dark and clear they can do GB1 'shocked' expression, GB2 'happy' expression with peace sign hand, RGB shugging expression, RGB overly happy anime dancey face... probably more)

I was thinking the exact same thing, standard, glow in the dark and clear would be great. And that's pretty much a wave on it's own. Give us a couple more GB2 mates, Janine, the GBs in court suits, GBs with slime pack things.......

It just keeps going. They could get at least 4 waves out of the movies and if they make Real Ghostbusters man...how amazing would that be!

Great work man, I love all ghostbuster home made things and a playset is a great idea. Are you going to do more playsets like a courtroom or river of slime?

we'll see how this one turns out first - this one is very basic (just big flat pieces), but it cost $28 just to print out the art for the walls (I set it up as a 16 page 11x17 pdf) but if I make anymore they will be a smaller scale - I could do a real river of slime, as I have a container of that green nickelodeon slime for those super soaker slime shooters they sell at walmart...

Great work man, I love all ghostbuster home made things and a playset is a great idea. Are you going to do more playsets like a courtroom or river of slime?

we'll see how this one turns out first - this one is very basic (just big flat pieces), but it cost $28 just to print out the art for the walls (I set it up as a 16 page 11x17 pdf) but if I make anymore they will be a smaller scale - I could do a real river of slime, as I have a container of that green nickelodeon slime for those super soaker slime shooters they sell at walmart...

Please take this as a compliment ............" You guys are completely bonkers" :woot:

"......green nickelodeon slime for those super soaker slime shooters they sell at walmart......" :ohmy:

Edited by buttheadsmate

Joe I could probably help ya out on getting any stuff printed,got a friend that works at a print shop and we get things printed for very cheap as a result.

Send me a PM about if you want,that way we don't clutter up the thread with our off topic stuff.

Well,back on topic.

Just got my loose Terror Dog in from ebay,I decided to buy and extra off ebay that way I could keep Louis displayed as Louis.

Also,buttheadsmate,back off man we're Ghostbusters.

Edited by UltimateGBfan

my one beef with minimates is that they're kind of hard to stand up, are there any companies that make individual bases for figures?

I use these legos, bought in bulk from bricklink.com:

dsc07762.jpg

Luke, that site is a bit overwhelming, what category did you find those? Better yet do you have the name or part number I can search for?

Luke, that site is a bit overwhelming, what category did you find those? Better yet do you have the name or part number I can search for?

I will save you some time and give you a link to the part page. I have used this site dozens of times with good results. Make sure to check on the seller's minimum order amounts and country of origin before you order.

FINISHED! I worked last night from about 8:30 to 12:30 cutting out all the artwork and taping, gluing etc the artwork to the walls, what a giant pain in the ass! if you try to do this I would recommend giving yourself alot more time then I gave myself - plus alot of the walls were too big even for 11x17 paper which is what staplescopycenter uses so there was alot matching together and then lots of gaps cause I didnt have the dimensions of the artwork quite right...

th_41990_DSCN6079_122_177lo.jpgth_41992_DSCN6078_122_561lo.jpgth_41998_DSCN6080_122_553lo.jpg (before 2nd floor is installed)

th_42000_DSCN6081_122_236lo.jpgth_42001_DSCN6083_122_831lo.jpgth_42007_DSCN6084_122_505lo.jpg experimenting with lego bases

dscn6096t.th.jpgth_42011_DSCN6088_122_467lo.jpgth_42009_DSCN6087_122_530lo.jpg (Venkman before and after)

th_42008_DSCN6085_122_47lo.jpgth_42017_DSCN6090_122_139lo.jpgth_42018_DSCN6091_122_446lo.jpg

th_42020_DSCN6092_122_501lo.jpgth_42021_DSCN6093_122_181lo.jpgth_42022_DSCN6103_122_439lo.jpg "go check on that little guy!"

"yes, have some!"

th_42031_DSCN6110_122_341lo.jpgth_42032_DSCN6111_122_409lo.jpgdscn6109.th.jpg

th_42038_DSCN6113_122_116lo.jpgth_42036_DSCN6112_122_545lo.jpgth_42041_DSCN6116_122_97lo.jpg "who does your taxes?"

th_42042_DSCN6119_122_9lo.jpg group shot

dscn6076q.th.jpg

a closeup of what the edges look like, since my dimensions were slightly off, I had to fill in the white with paint (black & chunky white poster paint mixed together) with lots of tape everywhere - but its for a 5 year old so I dont think he'll notice it