UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

13-year-old reviews the first Sony Walkman

I was having something of a bad day today... in addition to stress from home, school and a bunch of other different places, one of the more special Minimates in my collection had just gotten a broken leg. :( I was just so grumpy and pissed off with everything...

... until I stumbled upon this article.

I dunno, something about the notion of playing music the "old-fashioned" analogue way just brought me back to those days when I still loved tracking down old albums as a hobby. I remember having a Walkman for only the briefest time when I was in elementary school, from then on I'd owned a succession of Discmans (and earphones *sigh*) Heck, I even remembered how for the longest time I refused to buy an iPod, which at the time seemed like just another fancy flash-in-the-pan fad :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that my iPod Nano of two years (my first and only one... so far) just died on me a few weeks ago, so now I'm alternating between playing music on my last working Discman and on my laptop. For the first time in a while I'm sifting through my CD collection by hand again. Weird how life can go full circle sometimes.

[/pointless ramble about NR's personal history]

Back to the article: this may sound ironic from a twenty-year-old, but I think I may never "get" youngsters today.

that article was pretty funny. that kid seems awful articulate for a 13 year old kid, though he is from britain :P

yeah, I only had those tape players when I was a little kid... then kind of got out of music entirely until I was in high school. then I had the same sony walkman (with g-protection!) all throughout high school. a few months after high school, my ex broke that cd player and I was forced to get a new one. the new one skipped alot AND scratched my cd's, so I never used it. I got an ipod in 2006 and haven't looked back. x_x

that sucks about your minimate breaking. out of curiosity, which one was it?

HA!

Actually I just used my last working Walkman yesterday to listen to the Damn Yankee's first album while cutting mowing the lawn. I own no mp3 player, no Diskman. Because I'm not so much old school, as just old. (to be fair, my wife has a little mp3 player and a couple of Diskmen, but I'm not comfortable getting anything other than that ancient walkman that filthy.)

It does feel weird that to have no tape case rattleing around the floor board of the car though.

I don't own an ipod or a zune, I do have a couple of cassette players, but for me my favorite is my sony walkman cd player, I've had that thing forever,one time it broke, and I was horrified, but I fixed it and it still works!, I do use my psp's mp3 once in awhile, but I like to have a concrete cd!,

It's funny when the kid mentions getting made fun of for having the walkman, I actually can relate to that, back in freshman year, when I use to bring my primus cassette or my cd player. I was always told, buy an ipod, or thats old school.

I'm so old I can remember walkman's being brand new technology! :D In fact I had a personal cassette player right up until 2003 when I finally caught up with 21st century by buying... A personal CD player! :D

3 months later I bought my first iPod, but man... I loved that cassette player. I used to work as a Gardener and would spend large amounts of time working on my own. That walkman kept me (moderately) sane.

*sigh* I really don't like dwelling on it, but it was

a very special ECCC blank I got a few months ago... right after

Christmas, in fact..

that's lame. i'm sorry, I wish I could help you out, but the only blank I have is the 2009 fcbd one. =(