UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Still seeing them?

At many Suncoast stores I still see Saruman/Wormtongue sets hanging around at clearance prices, which doesn't help my efforts to get what I'm missing, but I've also managed to find other sets at Suncoast. Just last week I found an Aragorn/Orc set and got it for three dollars and change. I've also recently gotten a couple sets for good prices at a collectible shop, but I suppose that isn't as impressive a find.

So are any of you still finding LOTR minimates on the pegs?

Yeah, I've seen a couple Elf sets(of all things!) at my LCS. I'm not sure how many are left, but I think I could hook some people up if they need the set.

Havent seem em on the pegs for a while.. .who are you looking for Bob?

T.

I'm mainly trying to complete the Fellowship, so I'm after Merry/Boromir and the set with Frodo. I'm also interested in the set with Aragorn and Twilight Frodo, as that Aragorn has his cloak like the others (I'd switch the head for the other one, though, so he isn't screaming).

Back to the topic, does the fact that some sets are still hanging around indicate a relative lack of success for the line? I mean, I guess it didn't do so great since wave 3 didn't happen, so maybe what I'm really asking is why that is. I see people citing the rather late timing of their release, which I can agree with. I think the Saruman set still sits because it's pretty boring compared to the others, plus Saruman's kind of bafflingly designed with those sleeves that require his arms to be at his sides in order to not look silly. I think price may have also been an issue, as Suncoast for one was asking quite a bit for two little figures.

I think I'm rambling now. Just going for some discussion in a quiet section, I suppose. I know LOTR Mates are old news, but since I started grabbing them relatively recently, they're sort of new to me. And hey, it's not like there's much going on with the Marvel and DC Mates at the moment (well, I'm still picking up Marvel stuff from Target here and there, but anyway...).

LOTR Minimates failed for several reasons:

Delay in getting them out, missing the hype generated by the first film.

The use of the 2.5" body for humans purely to get hobbits at the 2" size - that put off a LOT of people used to teh 2" size for their superheroes

The character selection was iffy at best - too many variants of main characters when it was a real ensemble cast. Not enough bad guys early on.

The best thing about the line were the Orcs, they were amazingly well done.

I just bought the two 4 packs from ebay (I know I know, I just can't stay away) an absolute steal at £4.99 for both sets. I do like em but I think Danny makes a good point about the use of the 2.5 inch figure. While it looks right as far as the rest of the LOTR line goes it does clash with the rest of the minimate lines. I now have Marvel, DC, SFII and LOTR mini's on display and the LOTR figures do seem a bit jarring on the eye.

Of course now I have my first few I've got to get the rest! :D

Oh and Danny... Another great point mate. The Orc that comes in the Saruman set is just fantastic!

Yeah, for my Minimate stop motiton series I early on struggled with perspectives to make the LOTR characters smaller, but eventually it just isn't worth it.

I think all of their molds were great, with some awesome detail, but come on... Where was the Cave Troll? <_<

I'm also interested in the set with Aragorn and Twilight Frodo, as that Aragorn has his cloak like the others (I'd switch the head for the other one, though, so he isn't screaming).

I have this Aragorn loose but unplayed with if you want him.

That's prefectly okay RB!

None of them are THAT hard to come by, I'll pick him up through EBAY sometime. ;)

If you're looking for the last couple I suggest holding out for a deal. Merry & Boromir are the 2 hardest to get ahold of, but even still you can get ahold of them for a couple of bucks. :P

Well I've got the bug now especially as SFII and DC are delayed.

I reckon I can get hold of series one LOTR no problem, but series two are looking tricky, as is Sauron. Can anyone help out?

• 2 months later...

Wasn't really sure where to post this, but in case anyone is looking for the Elven Warrior Two Pack, Action Figure Express has them on sale for $0.01 each. I bought ten of them even though I already had two sets to begin with. I just couldn't say no to 10 packs for 10 cents. Even with shipping they came out to be around $2.00 per two pack.