UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Blu ray player - PS3 vs stand alones - thoughts please

Webhead

I'm using some bday money to finally get a blu ray player and I'm currently torn between gettting a PS3 or a stand alone player like the Samsung BD-1600 ($250) or the BD-3600 ($350). Based on reviews I have read those are the best ones so far next to the PS3. My hesitation on pulling the trigger on the PS3 is for a couple reasons:

1. it's going to be $50-$100 more than the stand alone players I am looking at

2. I already have the Xbox 360 and my brother and our friends have them...it's the only gaming console I will use

3. No IR sensor so I can't use my LG Harmony universal remote

From what i can read the ps3 is hands down the best player out there and based on the cost of current players it makes sense to spend a little more and get an HD gaming console...but what if you already have the 360?? That is where I'm struggling.

Anyone have either of these players or another one to suggest? And who loves the PS3 as a blu ray player?

I've only got a PS3 as my Blu-Ray player, so I can't compare the two. However, I can give you one reason to consider PS3--Metal Gear Solid 4. Also, a God of War game will probably be released there at some point, that probably won't be released on the 360.

If you're a gamer of any kind, it probably makes more sense to spend a couple extra bucks and get the PS3, even if you go for the cheapest one. That way you get more functionality for your buck, plus who knows what games may come down the line that you can't get for the 360.

As far as comparing it to a standard Blu Ray player, I can't do that because I only have the PS3. It does a good job playing movies though, and it seems to be able to keep track of where you were on discs even if you eject them (at least, it did that for my cousin last night).

I also got a PS3 primarily as a Bluray player but there are a few really awesome games that are only available on that system. Uncharted was a very fun game and if you are into baseball games then the Sony MLB are worth picking up because they are much better than their 2k counterparts.

I hear ya, I'm really trying to resist the urge to get another gaming console. But for only $100 more it's going to be harder to pass up the ps3.

The PS3 is a better than a Blu-ray player of the same price range. To same quality player would be around $400-$500 more.

I am having a lot of A/V work done right now and just happened to be on the phone with the tech when I read this, so I asked him.

thanks for the info...right when I was pulling away from teh ps3 and looking at 2 $300 players...