UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

web site creating advice

OK, so I need a bit of advice from the talented folks here in creating a web site. I am looking to put a portfolio page together for my graphic design work, and I've never actually built a web page before. So far I've created a mock up page in Photoshop for an assignment, but that's as far as I've gone. I guess what I need to know is what hosting site should I use? I would like a free one, or very cheap at least, and have no idea where to begin.

I have a Mac with Adobe CS3, but so far have only learned Photoshop. I don't have much to showcase, but I'm really trying to get into this field a bit sooner than I had expected, considering my recent layoff from my previous job. I know my chances are pretty slim with the little experience I have, but I don't want to go back to the financial world unless I absolutely need to.

Anyway, enough of my sob story. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BS

I am a web designer as my day job. I always like to use lunarpages.com for hosting, but godaddy.com is cheap. Unless you know anything about web coding or dreamweaver, I would suggest getting someone else to do it for you.

On average your going to spend about $100 per year on hosting and domain name reigstration.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the quick responses, and the help :) Luke, I signed up for the free site on MS Live and purchased a new domain name, it's only $15 per year after the first year. I'll probably use this untill I learn to create something more advanced. Thanks for the info Ninja Mate. Now if only I could learn the entire CS3 suite by osmosis, I'd be golden :P

BS

Now if only I could learn the entire CS3 suite by osmosis, I'd be golden :P

I love that expression!!! That is great. I'm right now wishing I could learn my ancient greek vocabulary by osmosis! :biggrin:

Anyway, there are a lot of very helpfull how-to-guides (I have only links to German sites, so I can't help you out with that right now) to start up basic homepages and I guess this might be something to start with. You might also find it helpful to learn some basic html tags, so you can easily create websites with a simple word editor. (There is a very useful site called "selfhtml" - again, I only know the German one - that helps you out in many ways very easy.) It all depends on what you have in mind and how your site should look like and offer to visitors. A basic page like this one I created for a students project for instance is very easy to create. You only need some tags to create "frames", include pics, set colors and style for the text and that's it.