UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So no new pics at Comic Con...is this a bad sign?

there were 4 packs... woo :(

but yeah it isnt a great sign, also it seems no one was able to get much info regarding a wave 2 release date....

I wonder if its just a case of biting off too many licenses and not having the capacity to get them done.

Everything seems to be slipping quite a bit at present.

you read the title...what do you think?

Chuck was talking about SFII so it's going to happen but is a bit delayed, which seems to the the minimate theme for the show!

As for minimates in general

There were new pics.... lots of them, just not much in the way of totally new mates on display... :P

But there were some great snippets of info it you knew where to look...

The DC prototypes ( I think these qualify as new pix)

Packaged Speed racer mates.

An Exclusive Green Lantern minimate that totally caught us by surprise!

New images of BSG and Ghost rider characters.

semi unofficial news of Rocky minimates.

Talk of trek minimates and that DST are getting currently approval on the designs they have.

News of the big chains taking more minimates.

So there was a very positive, turning a corner buzz if you ask me.

The most annoying thing for me was the 'delays' in the releases of what has been announced, it looks like the summer is going to be lean but Autumn/winter/spring is going to be minimate crazy!!

T.

I'll add my 2 cents. I spoke with someone at DST who was familiar with the issue of the delayed Minimates. Unfortunately I don't know her role at DST but I took it that she couldn't be totally candid (DST has excellent message discipline) but that is expected with good businesses.

Basically, something has been happening at the factory level in China. I believe these things have been beyond the control of DST and AA.

There are far more complex actors influencing the industry than I could have imagined. (For example - Chinese gov., local province government, big retailer demands, factory workers, etc.) I speculate that some combination has delayed "new" stuff.

I have to admit I was getting a bit negative before SDCC, but I believe both DST and AA are sensitive to the fans concerns. They love Minimates and they want to make as many as possible.

I would also speculate that these "bumps" will likely continue only because these companies are small. The Mattels and Hasbros have the muscle to minimze some of these things, but then again, when has Mattel or Hasbro ever developed such a cool brand like Minimates?

I think 2007 will make up for 2006 in regards to Marvel and SF2 Minimates.

http://www.rebelscum.com/sdcc06/sdcc06-ArtAsylum/image38.asp

http://www.rebelscum.com/sdcc06/sdcc06-ArtAsylum/image37.asp

The 4 pack doesn't look any diffrent. Though if it's going to retail at the usual 4 pack price of $8, that'd be nice. The 2 packs around here are $10. Maybe the gray haird guy looks a little more pink?

http://www.rebelscum.com/sdcc06/sdcc06-ArtAsylum/image38.asp

http://www.rebelscum.com/sdcc06/sdcc06-ArtAsylum/image37.asp

The 4 pack doesn't look any diffrent. Though if it's going to retail at the usual 4 pack price of $8, that'd be nice. The 2 packs around here are $10. Maybe the gray haird guy looks a little more pink?

Yep those are a wave 1 4 pack... for mass market...

As I said Chuck Knows there are delays and maybe the reason we didn't see 'protos' is that they are in China where the factory are working with them.

T.

there were 4 packs... woo :(

but yeah it isnt a great sign, also it seems no one was able to get much info regarding a wave 2 release date....

I wonder if its just a case of biting off too many licenses and not having the capacity to get them done.

Everything seems to be slipping quite a bit at present.

I meant specifically for SF 2...that is why i put it in this area of the board.

As a fan of Street Fighter III, I was hoping we'd see some SFIII minimates (or at least Yun and Yang) at some point, as well as perhaps Pyron and Jedah from Darkstalkers. Because of this, I hope this doesn't signal the end of the Street Fighter minimates. With a number of good characters from both Street Fighter/Final Fight (I'd also love to see a Guy minimate) and Darkstalkers it would be a shame if they came to an end after only two series.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot believe that these are 'done' already - they had record-breaking preorder sales, and sold through very well.

DST is exploding right now, in terms of what they are doing compared to even a year ago. Hence, some things will seem to take longer between releases.

I can understand why DST is doing things is batches (or 'bursts' would be an appropirate word) - when they get to the factory and start cranking things out, it would be cheaper to do a couple of runs in a short period of time instead of having to halt and re-start production. So until we get nigh-monthly releases of minimates, things are going to be sporadic.