UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Orphan Works Bill unconstitutional!

TM2 Dinobot

Essentially everyone knows that when you create something, it's yours. Right? Well, there is a new bill in the works, that if passed, means when you create something, it doesn't belong to anybody, and people can pick it up without your permission. You've created the nest hip logo, and you want to use it to make your website popular? Sorry, Google just took it. You mother just emailed your naked baby pictures to your girlfriend? Sorry, they just showed up on a kiddy pr0n site. You drew a smiley face? Sorry, National Dentists just registered all smiles and are now going to sue your butt off.

And the sad thing is? I"M NOT EXAGGERATING!!! You can read more about this unconstitutional bill as it works to remove our God-given right to claim our work as our own and profit from it. http://news.deviantart.com/article/46431/

Now, unless you like America becoming the next communist state, I need your help. Call and write your Congressmen and women. Tell them to kill this thing before it has a chance to kill us. Because this has the far reaching consequences of hurting all of us. Then you need to hit up your contacts list. Tell your friends, your family, your enemies. Tell every single artist you know. Every graphic designer, every hippie sculptor, every writer, editor and publisher. Because they need to know that their livelihood is about to pass away because of their government.

Thank you for your time.

--Sam Ford

I'm an artist, and this is unbelievable!!! I'm sorry, but it is hard enough for artist and designers to get by as it is, and this is just ridiculous. Why do company's with millions of dollars and corporate ass-munches get whatever they want, while, we, the working class you make the world work get shit and then need to pay more on top of it. This is just a joke and cannot stand, I'm with you, dinobot, lets do something about this.

P.S. sorry for the cursing, its just infuriating that art and artists keep getting shafted.

I ran a printing company for twenty-odd years in the UK & copyright was always something we had to be careful about. People would often ask us about using various images(etc.) that they didn't own & it's a bit of a minefield. I've just read the links & the replies TM2D highlighted & this is all a bit ambiguous. I was going to present a few facts about copyright law ,as well, but I have also Wiki'd up about US copyright & it is currently quite different from UK law! I quote merely an example (according to Wiki) 'In the US all books & other works published before 1923 have expired copyrights & are in the public domain' which is as far as I know quite different from the UK ! The way I read the Orphan Works Bill is that if nobody is claiming copyright then anybody* else can.

* Skynet....sorry Google...

Legalised bootlegging in effect :angry:

What the.......

when is this going to happen?

im gonna delete all my DA work and my profile as soon as that happens

this is just like some one can say that the custom or drawing u made with ur own hands belongs to them

somebody has to do something

Edited by Aapje

Wow. Idiot. Research before freaking people out.

Okay, so apparently there is NO such bill in the works, and the guy who wrote that article is just grabbing for attention.

Unfortunately, the word of the bill seems to be spreading faster than the word of the hoax. Several people I talked to said they'd already heard of it.

Lovely.

*facepalm*

Okay, so apparently there is NO such bill in the works, and the guy who wrote that article is just grabbing for attention.

Unfortunately, the word of the bill seems to be spreading faster than the word of the hoax. Several people I talked to said they'd already heard of it.

Lovely.

*facepalm*

I can't believe that anyone could read that and take it seriously. You can't believe everything you read on the internet, fellas! :lol:

okay now i feel stupid

but i need to freak out every once an a while :P

sooo bigfoot isnt real? :blink:

Lovely.

*facepalm*

There is an expression I know you've heard & it's 'No smoke without fire' . This is perhaps a hoax but who benefits from its perpetration ? Plagiarism threatens all forms of writing ,music & all the arts. Bringing our attention to it will perhaps keep us more vigilant. Well done TM2 Dinobot,thankyou!

So here's the entire low down http://maradydd.livejournal.com/374886.html

Apparently there IS a type of bill like that in the planning stages, and it WILL do what I said... to an extent. But then again, there is no actual physical bill right now, it's just talk. So it could go either way I suppose. Keep your Panic in a Can close at hand, boys.

When I read the first few posts I almost started screaming... to think that someone could try and pass a law making it legal to steal... :blink:

It reminds me of my sister when she was little... she would take whatever lego creation anyone made and claim it as hers...

as I scrolled down I was quite relieved... :P But to also think that they are in the thinking stage of such a bill really worries me... <_<

:( What would happen to anyones work, art, ideas... they would all be subjects to take.

Edited by Havoc 05