UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

survivial of the fittest

warbunny

I'm pretty happy with the obscure characters that Marvel has put out in the past. Firestar, Silver Sable and Chameleon.

But for me, I have to ask three things when seeing this:

1) Why are they only making obscure characters relating to Spider-Man?

2) Why am I getting Silver Sable instead of a Mysterio or Electro or Hobgoblin or other classic Spidey villains?

3) Why am I getting obscure people at all when they still haven't made headliners like Thor? These are "Marvel Minimates"... not "Spider-Man and his amazing X-Men Friends".

I hope they step it up, too. I'm not down on them and hoping they never recover from the recession they've been in. But I think it's important they realize what they can do to make this line better.

-Matt

1. You get obscure Spidey characters because his characters are easiest to make with the current host of parts, plus Spidey is "much more popular" than Avengers, X-Men, Thunderbolts, etc.

2. Again, you don't get Spidey's heavy hitters because this requires making new parts. A new cape and head for Mysterio, a new mask for Electro, a new cape for Hobgoblin.

3. "Spidey is gold, whereas Thor only caters to a small audience" Plus, new hair/helmet, cape, and hammer for Thor.

What it boils down to is that for cost cutting measures to either boost the profit or help make room for the new licenses, Marvel refuses to make anything new. There's only so many characters you can build with the same parts, with Spidey being the easiest since he's just a 2" mate with paint. I can see the necessary evil that is the Spidey/Wolvie curse, and I can even understand it. They sell. Spidey's in, what 6 or so books; Wolvie's in 4 books (since the X-books are separating the teams for now). And the latest wave is a (short) step in the right direction by actually tossing us two teams instead of a mix and match of random characters who may or may not have teamed up with one or both of Spidey/Wolvie. But again, the part reuse limits their vision, hence the scrawny Colossus (even though they bulked up Beast, oddly enough), the painted-on hat for Luke Cage, the barely lavished Ronin devoid of any weapons, no new mask for Wolvie; the cost cutting measures shine brightly in the lack of details on the entire figure (no belts wrapping around the figure) and the avoiding of using parts already molded (no boots for Wolvie or Colossus, no guns for Fury).

It'll be interesting to see if DC's mates continue to hold their quality after the first few waves, or if they settle into the "same ol' figures, same ol' parts". I think they'll continue to make an effort for some time to go though, which means that Marvel will need to step up to the plate and really knock something out of the park or they're going to strike out.

while I agree that DC has a kickass lineup, and that marvel needs to get up and make something better, I'm gonna wager we see a lot of super/batmans. There are already 2 supermen(normal/battle damaged) on the way, and batman has so many lame varient possibilitys. So what about a composite superman? thats gonna be a fun mini. unless it turns out like sm/pp

DST made it clear(in the old Q&A) that the reasoning behind the 'all reuse' was that it was quicker that retooling, and they wanted to get the waves out ASAP... Obviously some politics or mishap stopped that from happening.

As for the Spidey/Wolverine Batman/Superman issue... If we get 5 or 7 new cool figures per wave then one per wave is something I'm willing to live with.

There is a lot of new stuff coming up soon, Lets see what's coming beyond 12&13 before writing Marvel off or Worrying if DC will fall foul of the same things.

T.