UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

survivial of the fittest

warbunny

Does anyone else fear DC mates totaly taking over minimates? It could quickly happen. The hype for DC mates is growing, and i just dont see the same love for marvel. Sure, im exited about the new marvel mates,but DC has just got so many more interesting factors. And three waves already anounced, they are packin alot of power. It will be interesting to see how mates fair a year from now.

The tides are changing.

Just see'n what you peeps think

Tides are changing massively.

Marvel needs to offer us NEW characters and at a decent rate ro else they are gonna loose out to DC big time.

Its a shame really, would it be too much to ask to have both Marvel and DC turning out quality and well thought out 2 packs

I think it's simply that DST are usedto being the only kid on the block so the 'you get what we want to give you' attitude was creeping in.

I think that DCD mates will bea big wakeup call and have already heard rumors that Marvel are going to be much improved for 14&15 if we see them!

T.

Warbunny, 're you borrowing from me saying "survival of the fittest" about DCD in the interview thread?

I think so. :P

I, in fact wrote a letter about this to ToyFare a couple weeks back. It'll be interesting to see if it makes print and what DST has to say when they're on the spot. *crosses fingers*

Seriously, it's not even just the new molds, & sizes that DCD is holding the killer hand with.

It's the characters too!!!

Marvel puts out a dozen lines and we see all major characters. Bo-ring.

DCD puts out three and we get the obvious main characters (Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, ect...), but loads of B-Grade character fan-favs.

Say Hello to 3 of my fav. Superr Heroes:

Booster Gold

Power Girl

Blue Beetle.

I don't care HOW popular Spiderman & Wolverine are.

DCD is RESPECTING it's customers by giving them what they want.

I'll never stop buying Marvel Mates, but I might just become a hater. :angry:

:P

No kidding!!

Remember all the questions we asked back on the AA boards where we were told:

"Sorry, Spidey will be in every set... With Wolvie... 'Cause we like them."

Sorry, but that's not a good reason.

Booster Gold is my fav. Super Hero (That's right, it's true. :P ), but I'm happy with one. Give me other heroes now, thanks.

I did copy you? sorry i think i did subconsiously by reading it.

But ya, get wolverine and spidey out of here they gotta go for something new. DC is totaly unexplored and untapped, they can pretty much only go up. And marvel... well we will just hafta see about that, wont we?

The difference I see is that DST was always trying to get into the mass market, whilst DCD is going to be selling via specialty channels (comic store, etc.)

For a while, I'm hoping the two attacks will complement each other, mass market brining a larger fan base in, who then seeks out and raves about the better choices in DC.

Ultimately, the Marvel will fail or get rethought.

Interesting points all.

One assumption has been that only Spider-man and Wolverine can be successful at the mass retailer level. But the apparent success of Marvel Legends seems to counter that argument.

I feel like DST did all the work figuring out the successful formula for Minimates and DC Direct jumped in at the right time.

It will ultimately come down to profits. Will the diverse DC Minimates be profitable enough to make it past wave 3? Or will obscure characters peg warm in the comic shops?

The buzz building around DC Minimates seem to imply success but maybe this will just be a "fad" that will run its course.

I am optomistic though. I think Marvel will adapt and improve. DC Direct's line will pave the way for the next evolution.

I also have great faith in the creative minds at AA. They are bound to add a new twist we never considered.

I remember back in the day when the OverPower card game was still alive... Marvel pioneered the whole concept, and when DC saw that there was a market for it, they jumped onboard (but with a new feature - the intelligence attribute). No sooner did DC do this than Marvel went and matched suit; all of their previously released (3 waves) character cards were re-released with the new intelligence attribute. Then Image Comics jumped onboard the OverPower bandwagon. And less than a year later, the game died.

My point is... Marvel may have sucked eggs recently, but when given the opportunity to beat the competition in something that they started (while the other guys just stood around and watched) ... well, I have faith that Marvel will figure out what they're doing and get their act back together and raise the bar again.

So with all that said, I think the introduction of these totally kick-butt DC minis can only be good for the consumers - we get more characters (finally, I can have my JLA!), and Marvel now has a viable (in sense of business terms) reason to give us what we want - better quality and more characters :D \

I just hope minimates don't live up to the life-span of OverPower and die a slow painful death now...

Just saw this topic and felt like adding my bit to it.

I remember very well all the Q and A sessions where I posted along with others over on the Art Asylum

message boards to Chuck and Digger. And all that was ever gotten back was "Wait and see" and "We like Spider-Man and Wolverine and they sell better than secondary characters on the mass market".

What bugged me was... what mass market are they talking about? They mainly sell these things in comic shops!

That arguement was such bullshit!

Also, I don't think the DC minimates will simply be a fad. So far, unless they go a few series and then suck it up like DST or whomever and successfully put their product line in a coma, I'm pretty damned sure that people (like us) will still be buying them.

Major props to the DCD people for taking a great product and listening to the customers by giving a pretty diverse selection of characters in the opening shots of their line. Honestly looking back at the first series of Marvel Minimates, it wasn't until series 5 that I was really excited about them coming out because they started making more characters than just the mass marketable ones. And with the first three series of the DC ones I'm already as amped as I was when Marvel got to series 5.

Overall:

1) Marvel needs to pick the release dates back up regularly

2) Marvel needs to release new characters. Not new versions of characters, but NEW characters. Hawkeye and Psylocke and Hobgoblin and Ultron and Black Bolt.

3) Marvel needs to get rid of the people that decide who they're going to have in their lines. If that Chuck or Digger, so be it. Whoever it was answering all those questions for us over on the AA forums sucked at what they were doing. They gave the same old answers each time and didn't seem to really give a hoot in hell about what any of the customers wanted. Just in making more Wolverines and Spider-Men.

-Matt

Can someone clear something up?

who exactly is making DC Minimates? I thought AA made minimates by getting the DC liscense, but reading these posts it seems maybe DCD is making these and not AA? Sorry if it seems like a newbie question, but well, I'm a newbie.

who exactly is making DC Minimates? I thought AA made minimates by getting the DC liscense, but reading these posts it seems maybe DCD is making these and not AA? Sorry if it seems like a newbie question, but well, I'm a newbie.

Do'nt worry. I'm not and I'm still confused! :blink:

Don't worry, even us "old time" collectors are often confused. As I understand it, Art Asylum owns the Minimate brand name, designs, and manufacturing processes. They partner with companies like DC Direct which owns the license and distributing piece of the equation. Theoretically, DC Direct "could" make Minimates in their own factories, but Art Asylum wants to maintain quality control so they oversee the production in their own factories.

So Minimates are "made" by Art Asylum and are "distributed" to us through DC Direct. I hope that helps.

I agree that the Marvel guys are going to be watching very closely at how the DCD waves pan out (or at least they should be). If these things rock the block figure line like we all seem to think they will, and Marvel does nothing about it, then they have some explaining to do. 14 & 15 can either make or break the Marvel line. I just hope next year sees a rebirth of the Marvel minimates so that we can finally build a healthy roster for both universes.

Finally found the new board!

Marvel definately recent/new figures have been rather pathetic with their roster.

I think it just boils down to a cost issue to Marvel, reusing peices and characters saves alot on cost, rather than making new molds and sculps. They are penny pinching morons that will surely be blown away by DC minimates.

If marvel wants to compete, it just needs to make obvious new characters that have been demanded for years now. Just give us one Thor or Abomination, and stop with the Wolverine and Spiderman variants.

Make mine DC for now!

Before you guys go nuts, I'd bet that we'll see a Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman in every wave of DC MiniMates, just like we see Spider-Man or Wolverine in every wave of Marvel MiniMates.

I see the level of excitement about DC 'Mates to be relatively on par with that of Marvel 'Mates when they were first released. And, really, when you think about it, we've gotten some pretty obscure characters from the Marvel U as well. Firestar? Silver Sable? (Though it's true that the more obscure characters didn't start showing up until recently, and I'm not even sure those two are as obscure as Star Sapphire; at least Firestar was on the old Spidey show!)

I don't think that DC will be ousting Marvel from the MiniMate market any time, but it would be nice if Marvel would step up a little.

And speaking of licences and such, I assume its the licensor that chooses who goes into a wave, right? Not AA?

I'm pretty happy with the obscure characters that Marvel has put out in the past. Firestar, Silver Sable and Chameleon.

But for me, I have to ask three things when seeing this:

1) Why are they only making obscure characters relating to Spider-Man?

2) Why am I getting Silver Sable instead of a Mysterio or Electro or Hobgoblin or other classic Spidey villains?

3) Why am I getting obscure people at all when they still haven't made headliners like Thor? These are "Marvel Minimates"... not "Spider-Man and his amazing X-Men Friends".

I hope they step it up, too. I'm not down on them and hoping they never recover from the recession they've been in. But I think it's important they realize what they can do to make this line better.

-Matt

3) Why am I getting obscure people at all when they still haven't made headliners like Thor? These are "Marvel Minimates"... not "Spider-Man and his amazing X-Men Friends".

Ah, but it is. When Spiderman 2 broke all records in film history, Marvel decided that Spidey is their new poster boy, bumpping Wolvy down to 2nd place. We STILL haven't seen a resession of Spidey toys since Spidey 2.

I think part of the reason also, is Marvel. They're... cheap. They have lost contact with their buyers on all levles, as Civil War has proved. They have no ideas, they want to do things as cheaply as possible. Spiderman and Wolvy are always big sellers, therefore, push them.

I agree about 14/15 making or breaking the line.

And speaking of licences and such, I assume its the licensor that chooses who goes into a wave, right? Not AA?

With Marvel its defiantely a case of input on both parts.

That's cool. I figured that it may have been DST that gets a lot of the input. That's the impression I get from the Q&A sessions. It'd be cool to sit in on those meetings and see how the lists compare and how they decide who to make.

With Marvel its defiantely a case of input on both parts.

That's cool. I figured that it may have been DST that gets a lot of the input. That's the impression I get from the Q&A sessions. It'd be cool to sit in on those meetings and see how the lists compare and how they decide who to make.

I think what happens is that DST and Digger make lists and give them to marvel who yay or nay then they have to change the lists to make them groups that work....

so I think there is a lot of back and forth.... Hence chucks usual it's not locked down comment.

T.