UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DVD buying advice

blacksun1520

So, I was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable EBay seller that has DVDs for cheap that aren't bootlegs. I'm trying to get The West Wing season 7 and Hereos season 1, but they run $50.00 each at retail. I've found quite a few sellers with very low prices on EBay, but I don't want to get stuck with some crappy bootleg. Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

BS

As far as I know ebay does not allow the sale of bootleg DVDs that have been released from studios. The only time a bootleg is allowed is if it is a show that has not been released to DVD and not scheduled to be released. ie old TV shows like Charles in Charge.

You should try www.froogle.com also it is connected with google and it searches tons of sites and you can see customer feedback.

Blacksun, here is a program I use to find the best prices for things and it's been pretty helpful Here's what I found out for West Wing ($33.49) and Heroes ($39.98) from there. Here's my 2 cents though, wait a bit longer. It seems that most dvd boxed sets are starting to hit the $19.99 point lately and with Heroes Season 2.0 or 2 coming out, the 1st season will go on sale. Hope this helps, cheers.

IMOP now is the time to reduce your future purchases of std.DVDs. We are being shepherded towards Blu-Ray with the demise of HD DVD. The players for either of these formats are increasingly cheaper as are HD 'monitors',so enivitably std.DVD will be sidelined. Heroes was produced in HD & is available now in HD DVD, it's up to you whether to get aboard'a Titanic' now or wait for it to be produced Blu-Ray, but Heroes in High Def format is awesome.

Heroes is available on ebay in HD DVD for around $50 & std. $26 -& these are genuine.I could/can give you links but there are many & The Complete West Wing Series 1-7 is available on ebay(genuine,multiple sellers for $125) 45 discs ,relatively cheap..... can you see why.......'in a minute' here comes Blu Ray' West Wing' in perhaps 7 discs.

Thanks for all the help guys :) It's good to know that EBay doesn't allow bootleg sales. I might just wait for Heroes to drop in price, but my wife and I have just finished seasons 1-6 of West Wing and now we just NEED to finish it out. We have a 27" Samsung LCD in our bedroom with 720p resolution that we were previously using a PS2 as a DVD player for, so we upgraded to a Sony HDMI upconvert DVD player, not Blue Ray, but much better than the PS2. We eventualy want to get a 1080p TV for the living room, and hopefully the Blue Ray players will be cheaper, but untill then, we are gonna be sticking with the standard DVDs. So the HD DVDs aren't doing well?

BS

On February 19th 2008 ,Toshiba made an official announcement that the company would no longer develop,manufacture & market HD DVD players & recorders,ending the high definition optical disc format war.

So HD DVDs are not doing well!

Well slap me in the face and call me Susan! I totaly missed that announcement, thanks for the update BHM :) who needs to read or watch the news when I can just come here.

BS

Yeah, but you shouldn't also buy into the hype just because Blu Ray won the race either. Just because they won, doesn't make them any better or worse than the HD format. Get the seasons and enjoy them ;)