UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Do minimates need a street team??

xVashx

The recent news about the future of the DC mates and the death of the Lord of the Rings and Street Fighter lines got me thinking.

Minimates collecting definitely appears to be a niche collecting area. Even with the explosion of new lines in the last year. I think emailing DC and buying a few extra sets may help delay the minimate line’s death, but I am not sure it will stop it.

It seems to me, while we are hardcore in our minimate love, we are a small community. At least as far as sales figures go. It may be that our hobby would be better served by doing what we can to expand the fan base.

Buying minimates as gifts. Letting fans of certain licenses know about minimates. Giving away some of our extras to friends and potential minimate lovers. Basically doing whatever we can to increase interest. I think we need to become a Street Team for minimates. I have never been a fan of SPAM. But we may need to SPAM the crap out of everyone and everything to keep minimates alive. Essentially, trying to do a better job of promoting minimates than DST or DC.

I know my love of minimates got sparked when I actually saw them displayed at my friend's house. I saw and passed over them at the store. It wasn't until they were in my hands that I recognized their coolness. Maybe we need to give more people that "ah ha!" experience.

Today it is DC. Who will it be tomorrow? I for one do not want to see an end to these awesome figures. I’ve stopped collecting most other figures in favor of minimates if minimates are available for a particular license.

The DC news really worried me. And it makes me concerned for other existing licenses and the ability of DST to acquire larger licenses for minimate production.

I think in our own way a lot of us here do the above, I've been spreading the minimate word discretely for some time.

The addition of mainstream licenses such as BttF has helped a lot, people are much more receptive to "oh look a little Marty Mcfly" than oh wow it's erm...who... ambush bug you say! ;)

I think that the problem is actually adults assuming these are low grade crap when kids are in stores and say they want them, I've heard several reports of kids is stores saying they want them only for the adult to say no before letting them have something else.

The one thing I would be VERY wary of is spamming anywhere because that just gives the brand a bad name, a certain other minifigure company learnt that the hard way.

T.

I'm very very anti spam so I'm not up for that.

Spreading the word by figures is the way to go. In my own way I know of 1 non toy buyer that have bought mates just from seeing my collection. (ok I admit It took superman into the pub because me and the barman where talking the death of superman graphic novel.)

He then went and bought Supes and Steel/Cyborg Supes and was waiting for me to tell him if any more from the story line was released. He is what you would call a very casual buyer only interested in that storyline at this time but you never know the bug could bite hard at any moment.

I am doing this myself. For my 8 year old nephew who likes building toys, I am giving him the old Spiderman 3 Megablocks Bank set with a a couple Spiderman minis (Venom, Spiderman, and Sandman). For some of my other friends, I am giving gifts related to their interests (BSG fan got a Cylon boxed set not to long ago). Also giving a Ghost Rider to a friend who loved the movie.

Too bad I didn't know more DC fans, I would have been able to give DC figures away too!

Ok, SPAM isn't my greatest of ideas.. lol.. But I do think that helping to get the word out is the only chance of keeping minimates around for a long time to come.

I wish more retailers carried them. I know here on the East Coast, Suncoast video was a major minimate carrier. But recently, all the Suncoasts near me have been closing shop with malls favoring FYE. FYE offers some minimate support, but they don't seem to carry them the way Suncoast did.

• 2 weeks later...

This idea I think actually has a lot of potential, I'd avaid spamming, but bumperstickers (ask me about my minimates... :lol: ), a few posters/stickers up on some street light posts or abandoned buildings..., nothing invasive but something to get people curious to look or to get the logo more recognition.

I'm with you xvashx! viva el minimate ;)

Guys,

I am pretty sure XvashX just means to think out loud on how to reach more folks to promote the brand more.

Very noble, indeed...

The truth is, it all comes down to sales. The best way we all can help is to buy more. The alternative is to try to get a job at DST to help get product placement in stores, and buy more minimates.

I am down 4 anything...

WW4M