UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Airbrush

koi-girl

Hey guys!

So here's the deal, I'm interested in customizing some minimates, filling them with love, sanding their hair down etc. etc.

I was wondering if anyone out there has some tips/hard-headed notions/opinions/facts about a decent basic airbrushing system?

For instance: Any preference between compressor vs. can of air?

Brand of paint?

Colors that will stain the equipment etc.

Info that most guides just don't get into. But also, best place to get a set, any way they can be repaired. I'm hoping to be a good consumer, and I hope you guys can give me the info to do that!

Thanks a bunch in advance, and Happy Holidays!!! :lol:

I tried airbrushing a minimate and didn't like the results. It was my first time airbrushing, but I figured I'm better off painting by hand and using decals. I think minimyte airbrushes his mates, but I could be wrong. I know that the paint aps on his customs look to perfect to be all hand painted. Chime in here minimyte if I'm incorrect.

A couple of questions for you. What is your level of experience with airbrushing? What kind of work are you hoping to do with it - general painting of the body or fine detail work?

No basic airbrushing experience, I'm willing to see if its a route I would like to travel, but that also means I have no set preferences or skills! <_<

I was hoping to do general base coats for the figures, and then go back and do details by hand, maybe do decals.

Fine detail work seems beyond the capabilities of airbrushing at this scale, but correct me if I'm wrong...

Then I would suggest starting out with a simple Testors set if you absolutely have to have an airbrush. They have a set you can hook up to small cans of propellant. That'll give you an idea of what you'll be doing if you decide to really jump into airbrushing. (I used to have a nice set up years & years ago, but that's long since fallen by the wayside due to family, work, moving, etc. The Testors set is I started out with to get back into it - I'm looking to upgrade and get much more involved in airbrushing for other projects, but I just can't justify the expense for what I want at the moment.) For my money on minimates, I think you can get the same consistency from a can of spray paint though, with much lower $$ invested.

Now, I don't customize much, so I may be in the minority here - I prefer Tamiya paints, from primer on up. I've seen good reviews of a brand called Applebarrel - I believe it can be found at Walmart. Regardless of the brand of paint used, make sure you're using acrylic paints for the best results.

Detail work would need to be done with a brush or could be created with stickers/water slide decals. (Water slide decals are very popular here - other members would be much better resources for you on their use.)

If you decide not to go the airbrushing route, then I suggest Citadel paints. They are around $4.00 each, but are worth it. I just use a white primer before painting. If you are looking for waterslide decals, then check out www.decalpaper.com. That is where I buy mine from, which reminds me, I'm all out of white decal paper:(

Ok I pushed the quote button but I'm not sure what happened...

I figured I'd use one post to reply to both so as not to make things too complicated. ^_^

So, thank you very much, to both of you! You've given me a lot of good information and advice to consider!

Reideen1313: Thank you very much for the image link. I had seen that set and was considering it, nice to know its a good option!

The_Crippler: Good to know about Citadel paints! I've heard good things, but nice to have another endorsement from a happy customiser!

Thanks again, and have a great Christmas! :flash:

Like MiniMyte, I've got an Aztek which I love... It's great for laying down those "hard to brush colors". The Testors 'brushes, I find, tend to work great once or twice and that's about it. I've got four different ones hanging in my workshop that vary with their reliability. Personally, I prefer the dual action, internal mix variety of airbrush. Tends to work the best.

I use Citadel/Games Workshop paints almost exclusively. The GW "Skull White" aresol paint is hands-down the best primer out there. It covers beautifully, and normally goes down smooth.