UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No Movement / Downtime

hyejinx1984

I was thinking about it, and do you guys think we're in a slump when it comes to Marvel Mates?

I mean, sure, we just got a really cool defenders set, have the SM3 sets coming out and the following two "Fan favorite" waves. But even with all that... aren't we just kind of in a wait and see mode? There's nothing new happening, nothing exciting... any mates for the next five months have already been announced, and I honestly can't remember the last time the Art Asylum was updated with ANYTHING, let alone new Marvel stuff. I find myself not excited by Minimates on a day to day basis, but rather opening up jpgs of the upcoming waves to look at the pics of stuff that won't be out for months.

I dunno, maybe I'm not making sense... but the lack of any new substantial threads in this specific forum kind of back up what I'm saying. There's nothing interesting to talk about really because there aren't any immediate surprises left.

Part of the problem I think is the internet. You know in some cases as much as a year in advance what you're getting and win, so mentally you already mark it as 'owned'. It's not like the old days before the internet, and especially even with Target, where you walk into the store and, WOW! New Minimates!

Life without surprises is boring. Kinda the problem with DC also.

It's better than it was a year or two ago... when we had NOTHING coming, no Marvel, DC Was hugely delayed and there weren't new licenses such as 24 or BttF. It's not like we should be worried of another drought because they have 4 waves still unreleased that we know about and my guess is at least 2-4 more in the pipeline even if they aren't showing us.

As someone pointed out they do tend to show mates at 2 times of the year Toyfair and SDCC, it's what the industry does not just DST.

As for a slump in my attitudes to Minimates, I've been that way since I caught up, knowing I can get everything as it comes out isn't as much fun as chasing down hard to find stuff to fill the gaps in my collection.

T.

Hmm that may be part of it for me too. Before, not only was I waiting on new stuff to come out, but I had a bunch of old stuff to track down. As it stands, I only need like to 4 or 5 more mates to complete my ENTIRE marvel collection... so I'm left in waiting mode.

Also I think part of the problem is AA not encouraging or fostering a community. I mean, seriously, so the last three months or so I've been checking the AA website a couple times a week and all I see is that cyclon mini bust on the front page.

Something new! Something exciting!

I wouldn't say that DC is better than Marvel. At present, we know about the next couple waves of DC and the next four of Marvel. As we inch closer and closer to DC Wave 8, people are starting to get anxious about what Wave 9 will hold.

I agree with what TBT had to say, in that even with no news, we're much better off than we were a year ago, when we had no news and nothing to tide us over. Now, if the Marvel line isn't rolling in fast enough, you have DC, BttF, Rocky, 24, BSG, and Star Trek to keep you busy. With so much stuff coming out, I'm actually thankful for the lulls, as it gives me a chance to track down the wave of BSG I missed or the Rocky 2-pack that snuck up on me.

I'm more of a superhero minimate collector too, but I gotta say I have liked the non-superhero mates that we have gotten so far. I still colllect the non-superhero mates, but I'm not in any hurry to get them like I am with Marvel and DC mates. At this point I have BTTF wave 1, Star Trek wave 1, 24 wave 1, Battlestar Galactica waves 1, 2 and I picked up 1 set today from series 3, and the first Rocky set. I know I'm missing a lot of non-superhero mates, but like I said I'm not in a hurry to get them. It helps knowing that I'm the only one that collects minimates from my local comic book store. He orders them for me exclusively. By the way, anyone looking for the variant sets from Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek drop me a line. I have been getting them for myself, but I'm willing to trade them for other mates that I need.

After the drought a couple of years ago, I'm not worried we won't see anything in February. I'm anxious, sure, but not worried.

I want more new comic characters. Now that they're putting out so many of those characters so many have been asking for (myself included), I can't wait to see who we get next.

The only thing I'm worried about is how long before those crummy Spider-Man 3 ones come out so I can get the good stuff.

Another example of this.. there's no release events! Yesterday the Spider-Man 3 mates came out... no update to AA's website, no nothing. There should have been a big deal made about it. Oh well... I just want this to be a bigger community and I want the community and AA to have a closer connection, kinda how over at the www.MarvelMasterworks.com tyhe editors in charge of the masterworks line are always on the forums, and taking polls from people, doing interviews for the site, etc...

Another example of this.. there's no release events! Yesterday the Spider-Man 3 mates came out... no update to AA's website, no nothing. There should have been a big deal made about it. Oh well... I just want this to be a bigger community and I want the community and AA to have a closer connection, kinda how over at the www.MarvelMasterworks.com tyhe editors in charge of the masterworks line are always on the forums, and taking polls from people, doing interviews for the site, etc...

The AA site is pretty much dead, AA don't seem to have any interest in updating it (Never have, especialy since the relaunch if you ask me), it's only kept on life support by the legions of Trek Fans there.

What we do get is DST being pretty interactive, they do Q&A's with us, they sometimes share prizes for contests and from what I can see are pretty responsive if staff ask them a specific question that's on our minds.

T.

The AA site is pretty much dead, AA don't seem to have any interest in updating it (Never have, especialy since the relaunch if you ask me), it's only kept on life support by the legions of Trek Fans there.

What we do get is DST being pretty interactive, they do Q&A's with us, they sometimes share prizes for contests and from what I can see are pretty responsive if staff ask them a specific question that's on our minds.

T.

Not to mention DST maintains a MySpace page that they update pretty regular like.