UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Zombie 5 pack

TM2 Dinobot

So I walked into my LCS today to get my books, and what should my wandering eye spy? Why, Marvel Zombie Minimates, spying back at I! Delighted, I hopped over to the counter where my comic book guy pulled my set out of my pull box. As one who does not normally get Minimates at me LCS (he won't stock them due to lack of interest) I have to say it was an odd feeling getting Minimates on the day they came out. (I totally forgot it was today)

Anyway, here's a quick review and pics.

The Box.

Quite decorative, it's easily noticeable with dark colors. It's packaged the same was as the recent box releases like Spiderman. The most interesting part to me is that the box is worn like it was damaged. I had to check mine carefully just to make sure it wasn't real and didn't get crushed in shipping. Inside, eh, just like you'd expect.

MZ20.jpg

Col. America

Having never read but the first issue of Marvel Zombies, I can honestly say I have no idea why this is Col America as opposed to Cap America. The figure has paint apps like the New Avengers wave Cap, with the chain mail on his chest and such. His head though is the interesting part. It's an entire molded piece. They even molded in the mask lines. It took me a few minutes of searching to finally decide that his mask doesn't come off. The paint apps on the body include blood splatters, grime, rips and what appears to be his intestines sticking through. His shield is also splattered with what's shaped like blood, but is black on red. It reminds me of Sin City posters.

Honestly, this is probably the best figure in the box and helps justify buying it. I'd give him a 8.5 out of 10.

MZ1.jpg

MZ18.jpg

MZ19.jpg

Hulk

I opened this guy up and thought "WTF did he eat?" This figure is, well, I don't like him. They changed out the chest pieces.. Instead of using the nice Powerhouse chest pieces like they've been using for 5+ waves, they changed it. It is now simply a flat square. That's all it is a cube sitting on the character. It really reminds my of the Kingpin, with being huge and all. Because this doesn't give the impression of being "buff" this just says "fat". I think part of the problem is there's no shoulders to it at all, and it drops past his waist.

Paint apps were nicely done on this figure. He has his chest ripped open and you can clearly see his ribs. Grime and dirt adorns his body. The ripped pants are actually much better on this one then any Hulk before him I think. His face is interesting. He seems to be grinning with one tooth knocked out and a black eye.

Two remold features on Hulk. First and most noticeably is his hair. It looks almost like Ult Wolvy's hair, but more detailed. I think this actually goes better with some other figures then it does with Hulk. Secondly is the return of Venom's "clawed" hands. It's nice to see a reuse of that mold.

Given how much the chest turns me off, balanced with new hair, clawed hands and excellent paint apps, I'm going to have to give this figure an even 5.5 out of 10. I'd have rather had something puny looking like Gamma Hulk does then this new chest piece.

MZ3.jpg

MZ15.jpg

MZ13.jpg

MZ14.jpg

Power Man

Okay, I never got around to getting the Toyfare set, so I have no regular Power Man. Power Man seems to be just like the first one, with the same paint apps and such. I wouldn't know. He's got and awesome clear torso though, with exposed ribs, so you can see right through him! What's great is that they painted both sides of him, and on his back you can actually see some torn flesh. He also features Venom's hands. The belt seems to stick out a bit far though. The odd thing is he's not wearing a mask but has white eyes. Odd.

Not having this figure before now, I can't tell how good he is to the original. But I'm going to give him a solid 7 out of 10.

MZ4.jpg

MZ12.jpg

Wolverine

Worst. Minimate. EVER! Seriously, I'd rather have an army of Witchblades then another one of this guy. First off, seeing as how this set has Spiderman in it. AND Cap. AND Hulk. You'd think they could have done without Wolvy. But apparently not. Personally I want a half eaten Magneto instead. Or a whole Wasp.

Either way, the chest is the same type of new chest like on Hulk, but worse. He has shoulder pads, but the belt stretches the chest all the way down past the waist. There's a molded X on the belt. The boots and mask are both new. The mask features more swept-back ears then previously, and no molded eyes. The boots take their cue from DC and are all one piece, with no feet then boot covers. Logan's face seems to be some sort of half rotted skull, with one eye white and the other falling out. The weird thing is the white eye, because the mask has the exact same eyes. And of course, Wolvy had his trademark stupid claws. I was hoping with X3 we'd see those be the new claws, but I guess not.

The worst part actually is the battle damage. It appears that they couldn't figure out what color Logan's skin was, as there are no less then 3 skin color variations, the worse being one rip is yellow skin, and another the skin is brown! (Like Power Man!) The figure does come with a NXM Logan hair piece with a peg added. Odd.

I was going to give this figure a 4, but he is just SO bad, and the fact that they put him in with 2 of Marvel's other heaviest hitters, and the fact that it's yet another Wolverine demands the low low score of 3 out of 10.

MZ5.jpg

MZ9.jpg

MZ7.jpg

MZ8.jpg

Spiderman

Okay, this figure is where it's at. The classic Spiderman, with his mask blown all to pieces much like series 2 BD Spidey. He is painted almost entirely on clear plastic, allowing his torso, waist and leg to be see through. His knee is awesome, painted only a leg bone both front and back, the paint app knee actually breaks at the joint for the knee to really bend. Venom's hands again adorn this figure, and on his back they actually painted in his liver! The only 2 problems I have with this figure is they keep adding "flesh" paint apps on top of an already finished paint job. Peter had web lines underneath his skin in a few spots. The shading is also a bit heavy on the chest, but it kinda adds to the figure.

I'd give this figure a 9.5 out of 10. Not a perfect 10 because he does have some skin issues, but by FAR the best figure in this set.

MZ2.jpg

MZ17.jpg

MZ16.jpg

Wasp

She's a head. Her hair piece just plain out looks unnatural. Her hair has got a handle on it for her to be held by, and her neck has some mean and a back bone on it. The most interesting part is the variation of the pug. Instead of a regular pegged head, she has a wide cylinder with a flat side in the hair piece, and corresponding hole in her head.

3 out of 5. Not a whole figure, the hair looks weird, and it being unable to be used by other mates annoys me.

MZ3.jpg

MZ11.jpg

MZ10.jpg

Other

They changed the heads for some reason. Now the holed for the hair pieces go all the way through to the joint. Why they did this, I don't know. I'm not sure if I like it better or not.

MZseeyou.jpg

I can easily see here what some people have been talking about straying too far away from the real Minimates, or having the paint apps be too complicated. I’m not sure if this is going to far over that imaginary line or not. Only time can tell. But let me say this, I wouldn’t spend another $20 for a second set of this. Spidey and Cap 2 pack though I’d be willing to do.

Over all I give this set a 6.5 out of to. Cap, Spidey and Power Man are totally worth it. Hulk is an okay figure, so is Wasp (if you can call her a figure). Wolverine is crap. I don't ever want to see him again.

MZ6.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't care for the use of the Powerhouse chest on these. Why? Why add the pants/belt to the chest? That's just...no. The purple triangles look especially bad hanging off of Hulk's chest. Wolverine I can deal with, maybe, Hulk no. If I thought I could do a good job of it, I'd paint the regular chest block and just throw the chest sleeve in the extras bag. I was wary of the Powerhouse chest before, but this really make me hope that they just can that idea entirely. Yeah, I know, that's never going to happen.

The peg hole always went all the way through the head...

Checked my Invisible Woman (Oldest pegged Marvel figure I can remember) just to be sure and yep... The peg hole always went all the way through the head...

That's nothing new.

I'm pretty sure it's so they push in easier... the air has someplace to escape too that way.

under any other circumstances, I'd agree with the complaints about Hulk's chestpiece looking bulky and bloated, but in this case, I think it works. In the book, zombie hulk was kind of fat and lumpy looking rather than buff, on account of his eating too much and having his stomach explode...

Power Man, Wasp, and Hulk have white eyes despite having a mask on because that is how the Marvel Zombies were portrayed in the comic book. The Wolverine, Colonel America, and Spider-Man figures were based on the cover art for the books, which was a huge mistake in my opinion. Based on what I have in hand and the protos we've seen for Iron Man, these three guys are the only zombies with normal eyes, which makes it hard to stand them all together with two varying styles.

Power Man, Wasp, and Hulk have white eyes despite having a mask on because that is how the Marvel Zombies were portrayed in the comic book. The Wolverine, Colonel America, and Spider-Man figures were based on the cover art for the books, which was a huge mistake in my opinion. Based on what I have in hand and the protos we've seen for Iron Man, these three guys are the only zombies with normal eyes, which makes it hard to stand them all together with two varying styles.

I can live with it. If Wovly can have one white eye and one regular eye, why can't some one have two white eyes?

I do wish that some of the other ones were more "Zombified" than they are though. Giant Man could almost pass as just a battle damaged version of himself; the only thing Zombie about him is his exposed teeth.

overall, this set is pretty awesome.

probably the best Marvel Mates since... hmmm, damn, i cant even remember when was the last "impressive" marvel wave i gotten... that's pretty damn sad.

however, the only thing i dont like about this set is Logan's big chest. to be honest, i am never a big fan of the whole "big chested" deal. (even for powergirl, she would look so much hotter if they just keep it "normal" chested)

i guess all is left to do is to pick up the exclusive two pack to complete the collection.

final judgment: kids, save your lunch money and go buy them when they are still available.

Anybody else have trouble with America's shield? I tried my best but I couldn't get it to go far enough up the arm. Was afraid it might rip. Cap is the best in the set despite that though I think.

Yeah, I had the same problem. I did manage to get it far enough up his arm to get his hand back on but now it's over the joint so the arm can't bend at the elbow. This is my first Cap (Col) and I was wondering if the others had a different sheild or if they just didn't use the arrow gloves.

Anybody else have trouble with America's shield? I tried my best but I couldn't get it to go far enough up the arm. Was afraid it might rip. Cap is the best in the set despite that though I think.

Yeah, I had the same problem. I did manage to get it far enough up his arm to get his hand back on but now it's over the joint so the arm can't bend at the elbow. This is my first Cap (Col) and I was wondering if the others had a different sheild or if they just didn't use the arrow gloves.

mine also has a hard time going over. this is unlike my other caps I was going to take out the ring and switch it with one from another mate but that will not come out. so he has just been holding his shield and mowing other mates down with it.

mine also has a hard time going over. this is unlike my other caps I was going to take out the ring and switch it with one from another mate but that will not come out. so he has just been holding his shield and mowing other mates down with it.

Mine wouldn't go on at all, it was just too tight. I have 3 other Capos and they all go on with only a little/no effort. This one is just odd.

The biggest problem I have with this get are the odd chests. If they had used the regular Powerhouse chests it wouldn't stand out as much. But you can't just go changing the design for the sake of changing it.

anyone else have major issues with the joints. I had to hot water/freeze every character for atleast one joint. Luckily none broke.

One of my Wolverine's arms was fused. Most of the other joints were very tight but nothing else major save that one.

My variant Thor had a locked up knee that I had to deal with, other than that no problems from the Avengers or the Zombies...

Why do people use Hot Water? Seems like a lot of trouble to go to when a blow dryer achieves the same effect in mere seconds... and you also don't risk water damage to the paint using a blow dryer...

Whenever I have a locked joint problem or a distored accessory problem (Like bent swords or Wolverine claws) I just blow dry it for about 10-20 seconds and it loosens up joints and makes parts bend quite easily to whatever shape I desire, without breaking... been doing it for years... (Works wonders on messed up bent ass heroclix, for anyone else who plays the game)

I had no joint problems whatsoever with either the Avengers set or the Zombies. Just Col. America's shield which seems to be happening to everybody. I don't think the arm ring comes out of this one. I'm afraid to break it trying to find out has anybody else been able to remove the ring and replace it with an older one? I'd like to swap it for Invisible Girl's as I have three of the things and don't use any of them.

I had 2 complaints after I opened the box. The adamantium arm painted on wolverine is shorter than I remeber, and I also remember that part of his arm being clear plastic like spidey's knee.

My other complaint was not the hulks chest piece, which does kind of suck now that I think about it, but the fact that the proto hulk had intestines and blood and muscle definition on it and the one in the box does not. it doesnt make as much

visual sense as the prototypes paint app.

Also, the brown on the back of wolverine is not a skin patch, but a stain on the costume. And if you are going to review a box set, do it for its contents as they are and leave your personal problems with a character out of it.

These mates are the 1st super detailed marvel mates to come out and are helping pave the way for marvel to have better mates in the future. I can not believe I read this thread and heard so many ridiculous complaints. Be happy for getting something cool and obscure and if you dont like it then dont buy it and complain about it. I should have just uploaded my pics and done this myself.

if you have not read the zombie the first issue is on line. in it it explains why all the character have been turned into the undead.

http://www.marvel.com/digitalcomics/?utm_c...t=digitalcomics

scroll and look for marvel zombies #1

it is a fun read, and if you are like me and tapped out of funds thanks to 4 straight weeks of new minimates (a blessing and curse) you will love the price (its free!)

Also, the brown on the back of wolverine is not a skin patch, but a stain on the costume. And if you are going to review a box set, do it for its contents as they are and leave your personal problems with a character out of it.

These mates are the 1st super detailed marvel mates to come out and are helping pave the way for marvel to have better mates in the future. I can not believe I read this thread and heard so many ridiculous complaints. Be happy for getting something cool and obscure and if you dont like it then dont buy it and complain about it. I should have just uploaded my pics and done this myself.

And I, of course, being king of the world, am stopping you from doing that. Go for it man, do your own write up with pics. But don't complain at others for having opinions that you don't agree with. That's part of what a review is, is YOU giving YOUR opinion. That's what I and others have done here.

Although I am tempted to submit it as fact that Wolvy sucks...

(Just kidding! :P )