UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Decals VS Paints

So WAY back when I made my own customs; Marvel Superheroes, Legos, even a few heroclix as of late. Now I'm interested in making some of my own custom miniates. I've been looking at these boards and there's some AMAZING stuff, stuff that make me rethink even venturing into the custom pool. My question is which is better Decals or Paints. I'm more familiar with paints, I know which brands to use from my little experience with customizing. However with the amount of detail you get from decals is astounding.

So how long does it take to make a custom with decals? Do you have to do any striping on the body before applying? How do you make the decals? Is it just printed paper that you then glue on? Should I just give up on this decals idea and stick with what I know? Do you some of you mix both paints and decals?

Also, how much would some of you charge for a commission with decals? I might just decide to pitch the idea of making it myself. Nothing sculpted just the decals or paint or whatever.

Use what your familiar with first, then experiment with other mediums. I have personally used paints for years and as soon as I get caught up on Adobe Illustrator, I'll give decals a go. But for now paints are fine by me. That's my two cents.

Use what your familiar with first, then experiment with other mediums. I have personally used paints for years and as soon as I get caught up on Adobe Illustrator, I'll give decals a go. But for now paints are fine by me. That's my two cents.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Decal paper is a special paper that usually comes in either clear or white. You can purchase it from decalpaper.com (It's available for inkjet printers.). I haven't had any luck with white, but clear waterslide decal paper works great with dark colors. Light colors printed on the paper tend to let the color of the minimate come through underneath.

So, if you want to make incredibly detailed, professional-looking chest muscles and such, decals is the way to go. But some painting will still be required for lighter colors. Also, you have to design the decals, so Photoshop skills are a must.

• 2 weeks later...