UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Does anyone else dislike the newer-style cowls as much as I do?

Gillbob316

I dunno if this has ever been discussed before (probly has... if so, I apologize for being redundant) but I hate the newer-style cowls on the DC Minimates...

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I'm refering too the ones on all the newer Batmans... Barbara Gordon Batgirl... Harley Quinn... the ones where their faces are just painted onto a full head mask, rather than having a piece cut away where the "face hole" should be, like all the old C3 Batmans...

I think it was kinda forgivable for Harley, because her under-face was unpainted, and doing it allowed them to give her both a "Harley" head and a "Harleen" head... and she has a chin-strap on her mask, so it's less noticable...

But for figures like the newer Batmen, or Batgirl, it's just ridiculous... they come with a seperate hairpiece anyway, so it's not like it's saving any plastic money, their faces are the same inside the mask as they are out... it's just unnecissary and makes them look dumb... it takes away the masks' sense of depth...

And why just some random figures and not others? As far as I can tell from the Prototype, they aren't doing this with the upcoming Flash figure... (Thank Jebus)

Maybe I'm just spazzing for no good reason, but I have no idea why DC chooses to do this... but I wish they'd cut it out... especially considering they HAVE sculpts for a normal Batman cowl...

Is there a reason? Does anyone know?

The Wave 1 Batman has a slightly different face under the mask, but I agree with what you are saying. I don't really like them, especially Batgirl as her face is exactly the same on both. As you said Harley is justified, but not the others. I'm so glad that the Flash looks like he'll have an old style mask.

The only ones I guess it makes real sense to do old style cowls is for those who need clear goggles like Booster and Beetle, for everyone else the new style would seem to make the most sense.

I'm not bothered by them, really. Ideally, having the open cowl would be nice, but then there's always the risk of the face not lining up just right with the mask. That said, the one thing I doidn't like about Booster Gold was that they eyes seemed too far apart with the mask on.

Also, we're still way up on the Marvel releases... how hard would it be to include a yellow hairpiece for Captain America?

I thought I'd hate them when I saw the photos from various shows last year. But having seen them up close I think they're more aesthetically pleasing than the C3 bats. The only one I don't like is Harley, her face looks too fat.

I'm not too much of a fan.

I understand why they do it though. It's easier to rely on a painted face on the mask piece than it is to get the painted face on the head to line up perfectly with the mask.

For example, I did cut out the BD Batman face before I did a custom, and the cowl went too far down, covering up his mouth.

I thought I'd hate them when I saw the photos from various shows last year. But having seen them up close I think they're more aesthetically pleasing than the C3 bats.

There is something to that. I just pulled out my Miniflyer Batman and compared to the DCD one. I definitely prefer the DCD one. It's the molded eyes and slight peak in the front of the mask on the C3 one that throws it off. The all rounded DCD one looks much better, even if it makes no sense that you're ripping his face off to reveal...his face.

I like the new cowls better. The designs on the old style threw off the look on some of the Batmans. The new style gives us "two" faces, like Batman. I think where it applies, they should use what looks best. The alternative- buy/trade for some old cowls and repaint them.

I feel the same as everyone else. At first I thought they'd look stupid (from the proto pics), but then when I had them in hand, I liked them a hell of a lot. I don't know, they just seem to work good with the bat cowls. Heads and tails over the C3 bat cowls! I wonder what non "Bat" hero will get the full painted cowl next.

hmmm im gonna disagree with yah guys...when they first released the pictures for the new DC waves way back.. i was sceptical.... and then when i first looked at the new batman in my hands.. my concerns were confirmed..... i really love the look of the old cowls.. it looks more like a mask and less like a toy with 2 seperate faces..... i fully agree to give certain characters the full face cowl (a la harley quinn)... but id like to see the newer batman figs and everyone else for that matter with the old cowls..... im down with the old school B)

I've got to side with the converted skeptics on this one. Last year, I saw pictures in Toyfare and hated them, but upon seeing them at WWC 2006 I thought they looked fine. I think Batman looks better than any of the others. I also agree that Harley's face looks kind of fat, but it's all good. They are block figures, and things like that can be forgiven.

I feel the same as everyone else. At first I thought they'd look stupid (from the proto pics), but then when I had them in hand, I liked them a hell of a lot. I don't know, they just seem to work good with the bat cowls. Heads and tails over the C3 bat cowls! I wonder what non "Bat" hero will get the full painted cowl next.

Ooohh, a fun new game. :biggrin: I'm gonna say Deadshot.

• 4 weeks later...