UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Doctor Who discussion thread

The_Donster

Ok, so the Mrs. and I just got done watching the first season of Doctor Who and I have to say they have a new fan. While I probable won't go out and purchase the rest of the past shows, I did like the season 1 Doctor. Does anyone know when the second season of Doctor Who starts here in the states? How does the new Doctor differ from the old one? Why did the actor not come back as the Doctor, was it his decision or in the script? Just curious, as I told Jules in a recent e-mail, I think my wife and I our English, just English born in the USA. Because most of the shows we enjoy our from the UK, Hustle, Red Dwarf, etc :D Anyway, thought I might resurrect this old topic from the AA forum, hopefully there's enough of us to sustain the thread :unsure:

General feeling is that Chris Eccleston was only going to do the one series as a favour to the producer. He's a very well respected actor within actory circles here and I think he was concerned with getting typecast. The new bloke's good, bit mental, bit shouty, occasionally scary, but he's being let down by some weak scripts. The current (2nd) series is very hit and miss. But there are one or two beauties to be found in it so far.

Without giving too much away: I actually think that Tennant has worked out really well as the new doctor. Rad is right, there have been some really peachy shows in the first season of Tennant's reigh ~ although unlike Rad ~ I've pretty well loved them all, and wouldn't necessarily agree with him (sorry Rad!) that the writing has slipped any from Eccleston's time.

In any case..I meant to say to you Don, that many of my American friends have a great fondness for England and English TV.

I'm just thinking, maybe the rest of the British guys will show up and we can once again open the Top Gear discussion thread once its screening resumes after the World Cup! :P

Yeah that's correct. I think we (in the uk) are at the penultimate episode of the current series. We won't tell you how she goes though.

Makes a change for spoilers to be going the other way huh?

I'm thinking we may need a separate Dr Who thread for the U.S.

Tonights episode blew me away. I have been up and down this series as previously mentioned in this thread but tonight... Apart from the Torchwood directors knockers I've seen something I never ever thought I'd see! :D

Does anyone know why Billy won't be returning and is she popular over in the UK? My wife asked that question today and was curious if anyone knew. BTW, I don't think we need a seperate thread for US viewers, as I'm sure that won't be the case when BSG hits the airwaves again ;) Please just use the spoilers, while I usually read things anyway, I know some members don't. Have to say I really liked the 1st Doctor, you never knew what he was going to say next :lol: Another show we've started to watch is Hex, strange little show. Trish likes it alot, but I keep waiting for the plot to thicken :rolleyes:

I think it's that actory fear of being typecast Don. Dr Who has done wonders for Billy's career. She started out as a bargain basement Britney, married one of Britains more irritating showbiz types (who was almost twice her age) and disappeared off of the map. Then, she came back in a dramatization of the Canterbury Tales and wowed the critics with her performance. Everyone was really surprised when she was announced as the Dr's assistant/companion but I think it's safe to say that the re-launch of the Show has benefited from having Billy on board and the fans love her. It'll be a shame to see her go but that's always been the way the show moved forward. New assistants and the occasional regeneration change the dynamics and make the show fresh again. That's why it lasted 30 years in the first place.

Just out of interest Don, is this the first time you've been exposed to Dr Who? What did you think to the Daleks?

Yeah, we always look at typecasting as a double edge sword here in the states Rad. Since so many of our actors are afraid of that. It's like Sarah Michelle Geller, no matter what she does, she'll always be Buffy. Luckily Alyson Hannigan has found success with a new show called "How I met your mother". But we really liked Billy, seemed she really had some great chemistry on the show. As far as The Doctor? Yes, it's my wife and I's first dealings with the show. We were aware of the show from the past, since it has a large following here in the states.

However Robster and a bunch of other friends kept going on about it, so we thought we would give it a spin. As far as her leaving, it's unfortunate that she couldn't do another season and then the switch go through. Since it's usually the 4th year where everything goes to hell in a handbasket, lol. Oh, the Daleks, I find them to be quite interesting. But I'm still trying to piece some of the mythology together on the show and figure out their history with The Doctor.

Interesting pick for the new companion, I look forward to see how they handle it. As the article said, Billie will be missed -_-