UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Lord of the Rings Tarot Cards

Well for my final project in a class Im taking, we were instructed to create (as a class) a Tarot Card deck (our instructor has a fetish for collecting Tarot decks). Due to my knowledge in Photoshop my final was changed from the class norm of creating two cards and a card back to creating an entire suit and a card back. No problem for me, the only issue I had was coming up with a theme for my cards (and then picking one of the four suits: Cups, Pentacles, Wands, and Swords). I chose to use Lord of the Rings as my theme and use my Minimates as my muses. Below are my created cards, all 14 cards in the suit and the card back.

If I would've come up with this theme sooner I probably could've done a bit better, but I was restricted to the figures I owned (or pictures of those missing figures from the web). Each card's character was chosen due to the cards symbolism. Some cards are the negative symbolism attached to the card when it is read upside down... those cards have an inverted colored border. And there is one card (the Queen) that has inverted colors in its text due to the fact that the card would be read upside down as a male figure (though the character still fits the positive symbolism).

post-1674-1185595853_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185595869_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185595880_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185595891_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185595916_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185595972_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185595986_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185596002_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185596015_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185596034_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185596047_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185596060_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185596080_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185596093_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1185596108_thumb.jpg

those look great!

how did you do on this final project? do you have some marks you will share?

Welp, first off, this final is two part... these cards, and a 2-5 page paper on how we made the cards (symbolism and photoshop methods). Secondly, its not actually due until Tuesday, though Im pretty sure I'll do good... Just hope the instructor see the symbolism I saw when making these... Hes really into Tarot, a bit more than I couldve learned in the few weeks I spent researching them.

Cool stuff, I missed this thread while I was out at comicon but knowing a little about both minimates and Tarot it's an interesting idea, Are you going to do all four suits or just swords? What about the 22 major arcana cards?

A minimate Tarot deck is a cool idea, have you thought about different licenses for different suits etc?

T.

Cool stuff, I missed this thread while I was out at comicon but knowing a little about both minimates and Tarot it's an interesting idea, Are you going to do all four suits or just swords? What about the 22 major arcana cards?

A minimate Tarot deck is a cool idea, have you thought about different licenses for different suits etc?

T.

TBT,

You bring up interesting points. So far, I have just done the Swords suits, mostly because that was my assignment, I was to create a full suit of cards to accompany my class's Major Arcana. In a nutshell, I shouldnt have even taken that class because of my skill level with Photoshop, but the way school beauracracy works, my credits didnt transfer so I sat in as basically a teachers aid. My instructor saddled me with 14 cards to everyone elses 2. Now sweat off my back, I was able to knock them out faster than most people did their two.

Im actually working on my own tarot deck using my first love (if I can call it that), Photography. I shoot Fashion, Glamour, and Fine Art as my profession (when I can get work) and I have a score of models that want to help out, but getting them into my studio is a trick all of its own. Thus why I turned to Minimates for my class project.

I have tossed around the idea of making a full Minimate deck, but Im not sure how far it will go. I thought what can I do for the other 3 suits and the Major Arcana... I did think of making a license per suit, but I dont know if there are enough to go around... DC, Marvel, and LoTR seem to be the biggest liscenses... since the others are either still new or only boxes sets. Not to mention, a 5th license would be needed for the Major Arcana. Then once I iron out the licenses/suits I would have to go through and find characters that fit the proper symbolism (which took me the longest on this project... Yes for those of you who dont know, the characters were chosen specifically for that card, not at random).

Maybe in time this could happen, but Im not holding my breath just yet. Its definately an idea I am toying with but unsure if I can pull off with the 'Mates available. But, heck there was a full deck made of Lego, so anything is really possible. Since you are familiar with Tarot (and I assume most characters in 'Mate form), Im open for suggestions if you have any.

Since I am looking to sell my personal deck, once it is completed, I would have to do some leg work for the 'Mate deck to be available for purchase, especially if it includes more than one license. All in all, this is yet another school project that has become a long term project for me (Like my 'Mate comic book covers, and a few other projects I started while in my previous school). I hope to be able to create both decks at some point, even if the 'Mate deck is just for me personally, Im not against it.

Thanks for the interest, and feel free to PM me with any suggestions,

Joe