UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Torment Spider-Man

Jatta Pake

http://www.rambles.net/spman_torment.html

Here's a summary of the storyline, but doesn't have a lot of details. Funny thing, I remember buying and reading these comics back in the day, but I didn't remember the storyline at all. I do remember getting issue #1 with different covers in gold ink, silver ink, and I think there were different colored backgrounds maybe, plus newsstand and comic shop versions of all those. Quite the effective marketing ploy to get you to buy lots of copies of the same book!

Quite the effective marketing ploy to get you to buy lots of copies of the same book!

Tell me about it. i think I still have three of those different covers in my collection. Ah, to be that young and foolish again...

This was McFarlane's big push into a self-centred universe. He was convinced that anyone could write a comic, but no one could draw a book like he. I still don't understand why Marvel caved and let him write the book.

SO, the first five issues are chock full of unleashed McFarlane art and maybe a total of 20 panels of dialog. Seriously. The reason no one can remember the story is that there really wasn't a story at all. What did exist of story was poorly executed.

Any one who believes comics are all about the art should take a spin through Torment. If they can stay awake.

This was McFarlane's big push into a self-centred universe. He was convinced that anyone could write a comic, but no one could draw a book like he. I still don't understand why Marvel caved and let him write the book.

SO, the first five issues are chock full of unleashed McFarlane art and maybe a total of 20 panels of dialog. Seriously. The reason no one can remember the story is that there really wasn't a story at all. What did exist of story was poorly executed.

He was right. At least, back then, he was. The 'hot' writers were...um....uhhh.....hmm... Peter David? John Byrne? Hot artists on the other hand seemed to take up pages and pages of Wizard each month. Larsen, Liefeld, McFarlane, Lee, Portacio, Valentino, hell - the initial Image crowd were the hottest ones out there. (Have you ever read the 1st 8 issues of Shadow Hawk? Horrible book, but I could sell issue #1 for about $50 each. The glow in the dark cover (issue 3 or 4 IIRC) went for around $40.) Art and gimmick covers were what was selling and honestly I can't fault Marvel for riding Toddy to the bank.

Any one who believes comics are all about the art should take a spin through Torment. If they can stay awake.

Torment isn't any worse (or better) than any of the other books from the time. They all sucked pretty badly. If you really wanted a well written book back then you were reading Vertigo titles - Matt Wagner's Mystery Theater, Sandman, Swamp Thing, etc.

It TORMENTS me that we didn't get a Lizard with this set instead.

Or at least Calypso the Voodoo priestess from the book...

200px-Calypso_OHOTMU_A-Z_02_(2006).jpg