UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Fantastic Four. Rise of the Silver Surfer

Dan

I went to see this today. It was brilliant. Surfer looked great, as did Dr Doom, much better than the coat in the first one. Plot was great with some humour and great action scenes. I really enjoyed it and to me it didn't have the flaws of Spidey 3 and X-Men 3 of last year. Also Stan Lee's most obvious cameo yet. The ending is brillaint. I won't spoil it but I bet you guys will love it.

Bring on the third one!!!

Has anybody else seen it yet?

I would seriously suggest you do. Especially if you are already a Fantastic Four Fan.

Caught a screening last night. I went in without expectations and overall it was an okay movie. The special effects were cool and I liked the fantasticar. SS was pretty good. I enjoyed the film but it was a bit of a let down at the end for me that didn't make any sense. (See Spoiler)

Spoiler:

So SS serves Galactus to save his planet because he has no choice, but then at the end when Galactus is about to take earth, SS decides to destroy Galactus. If he had the power to do so, why didn't he a long time ago? It makes no sense.

I thought that was because

The FF, especially Sue, convinced him that these are not just nameless species, they are all people and deserve to live. Plus it was obvious that he hated Galactus and hated being in his service.

The Fantasticar was cool, and I'm so glad they didn't refer to it by that name.

I thought that was because

The FF, especially Sue, convinced him that these are not just nameless species, they are all people and deserve to live. Plus it was obvious that he hated Galactus and hated being in his service.

That's part of what makes it a weak reason to finally destroy Galactus after x amount of time. What are you going to worry about more? The life on a strange planet or your own planet? It's bogus, he's had the power to do it all along.

But in the process of killing Galactus, he killed himself, and he wouldn't do that for no reason. I say it was peer pressure from everyone else being heroes, lol. Normally Surfer would be far away from the planet that Galactus was devouring, but this time he was still in it when he arrived, so if he was gonna die, may as well take Galactus down too. Still, you can't argue with Johnny taking the whole teams powers and laying some serious smackdown on Doom. That was kick ass

But in the process of killing Galactus, he killed himself, and he wouldn't do that for no reason. I say it was peer pressure from everyone else being heroes, lol. Normally Surfer would be far away from the planet that Galactus was devouring, but this time he was still in it when he arrived, so if he was gonna die, may as well take Galactus down too.

Are you sure SS is dead? lol, what's more important than his own planet and people? It's a weak argument to believe that. Obviously you knew that SS had to get involved in some way to stop or sway Galactus from taking Earth, but come on Galactus all by himself? To have the power and not do it before getting to earth is a little ridicoulous. What he didn't do it because he was chicken? lol

Like I said, it was an okay movie. Johnny getting to be kind of a Super Skrull was pretty cool. It'll be interesting if they make a next movie and bring in the Sub-Mariner or Atlantis.

I saw it and enjoyed it.

And since it seems mandatory to include it at this point, spoilers:

Who's to say Surfer or Galactus is dead? I'm thinking Surfer used his power to dispell Galactus.

I was a bit irked that

Galactus wasn't the big purple and pink guy we know and love, though the core of those clouds did seem to allude to his appearance. Perhaps we'll see him in his world devouring glory in a sequel or Silver Surfer spin-off.

I loved this movie! Head and shoulders over the first one for sure. Character interaction was way more fluid and fun to watch in this one. Alba was the most improved of the lot. Silver Surfer was amazing to watch and listen to. I want to see more of this guy on the big screen (20th century fox is talking spin-off already). Doom looked a hell of a lot better than he did in the first flick, but he STILL didn't sound right. If you weren't sure of FF #1, I say give #2 a shot and you'll be grinning ear to ear. If you are a comic book PURIST, stay away!

Well...........why not.......

Ok, I think drgnrbrn hit the nail right on the head. At the end of the movie you can clearly see that the surfer is still alive. And, I don't believe for one minute that galactus was taken down by the surfer. Seriously, galactus gave the surfer his power, why would he knowing give him enough power to kill himself, that doesn't make any since. What does make since is that the surfer actually has a purpose now. This is SCREAMING spin-off. Now that the surfer knows he can slow down or possibly stop the death of a planet he becomes the hero we all know and love. The next we see the surfer he will be crusing the galaxies trying to determine where galactus is going to show up next and stop him. Of course, we all know galactus is going to need a new herald.......ah man, I hope they make a surfer movie!!!

But, back to FF, I thought it was a great movie for what it was. It doesn't try to be Spider-Man or X-Men or even Iron Man (speculation). It is a Fun, Funny, and Action Packed Popcorn movie. If you go into the theater understanding this you will leave MUCH happier. You have to understand we are never going to know the deep depression of Ben Grimm. We are never going to see weight of being a married superhero and having to watch your husband/wife risk their lives everyday. We will never see the empty shell that Johnny is and how he pulls himself out to become a team player. And you will never understand what it means to be a complete genius and watch Reed solve the world's greatest problems. It's not that kind of a movie. Instead, we get funny quips about Ben's lipless kiss and we get Reed being more "friendly" with his PDA then he smoking hot wife, and we get to see Johnny do what he does best, sell out. It's a popcorn movie, for better or worse, you understand that and you can at least enjoy it!

neo

I missed the bit at the end then. I thought that it was a really fun and enjoyable movie. Some parts could be slightly improved, and it could have been a bit longer, but it certainly was better than X-Men 3 and I really hope they make a third FF. Finally somewhere in England being featured in a Marvel Movie! lol

A Silver Surfer spin-off would be great.

I just got back from seeing it and I thoroughly enjoyed it :D and so did my girlfriend. I liked it better than spidey 3. The only thing I didn't like was the dodge emblem on the front of the fantasticar other than that minor thing it was great. Norrin Rad was outstanding. Anyways that's my opinion I don't want to say too much more for fear of spoiling it for anybody else.

Just saw it yesterday and it exceeded my expectations greatly. Way better then the first (and I didn't mind the first, recognizing it for what it was, a definite popcorn flick). I agree with Wallbreaker, it was way better then Spider-Man 3, with SS having a fully-realized backstory, unlike Venom, and fun moments throughout, plus a nicely executed SS. I especially liked Norin's later scenes, and the globe-spanning climax was kick-ass. A definite future edition to my dvd collection. :)