UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Hot topics

Nestlé

Okay, so first off let me say how much I've LOVED 52.

Even though I figured out SuperNovas secret I was still blind sided by Dr. Fate/Ralph's story & the "Fourth Horseman." (Don't woryy, I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't read it.

That being said... What the hell is up with Dick Grayson?

I just read WWIII and in it he kills a couple thugs? Steals their money?

Huh?

Nightwing is the LAST person I could see doing that.

On top of it all he never became Red Robin.

What the hell is going on?!?

Is Jason Todd going to become Red Robin in CountDown? Has anyone been folloing other Nightwing stuff that can explain why Dick would kill a bunch of guys?

Help.

It wasnt Dick, It was Jason Todd in his costume.

JT becomes Red Robin in Countdown.

BTW 52 #52 = Awesome

WHA!?!?

It makes sense, but where did you read 52?

It doens't come out til tommorrow!

Unless you did some time traveling?

MISTER MIND!!!

Allow me to translate DC "geek talk" for you Energy-Man.

Rip Hunter, the very first time traveler in DC universe's real name is Dan Carter. That's the part of the joke that makes sense. Suspendium however is an invention developped by Dr. Sivana to stop the Marvel Family. It's very unpredictable, but I'm not sure how it would get you comics from the future. Ady, care to elaborate?

Isn't Booster Gold Michael Carter?

Or am I all confuzzled?

Thought the WW3 titles were a little "meh" myself, compared to the main story in 52. I felt genuinely touched when Buddy got home and his kid is still an obnoxious little perv.

I'm a little unsure whether to pick up Countdown. I pick up DC in trades, so 52 worked, but with Countdown fitting in month by month I may just end up with a headache.

Also, anyone care to spoil Wonderwoman for me? I've not read any of the new series yet (see comment re: trades) but the whole Donna/Diana thing has me wondering who's who and when.

Please PM me if you can fix my poor broken head.

Jo

So I thought I'd pick everyone's brain about a couple "hot topics."

Warning this has 52 spoilers so don't read on until you've read the last issue!

What does "The Golden Age of BoosterGold" mean?

What the hell is Earth 17? The others I recognized but...

Why only 52 earths? Do you think they'll add more later?

After his cameo at the end of 52 how long do you think Ralph will stay dead-ish?

Will SuperNova stick around?

Speaking of the 52 series, has anyone seen the DCD figures yet? I think these are the nicest figures next to the AR Justice figures I've seen in awhile. I went to my LCBG and he had them with the rest of his shipment waiting to be put on the shelves. I have to be honest, I'm usually a trade guy, but this series definately made me reconsider. I'll most likely pick up the trades now though. Any other recommendations on the trade front for the DC Universe?

Well it makes me wonder, I mean Earth 17 is using a whole 1/3rd of a page. That's as much space as Kingdom Come gets. More even than Earth 3! (The Crime Syndicate world). Why give a random planet so much page space?

Also, notice Earth 2 is missing their Superman & Powergirl? I wonder why they decided to stick with that instead starting the planet from scratch.

Whoa!!! Hold the phone!!

Where did you hear about the Booster Gold comic!?!?!?

I'm so excited!!!

Booster Gold #1 is out in July - look at DC's July solicitations on their website. Wizard also has a preview of the cover and a short chat with Geoff Johns about it on their site.

For Donster, as far as trades go, it's difficult to recommend without knowing how you like your comics. Personally I'd recommend everyone reads the Checkmate and Shadowpact trades. Teen Titans, JSA and JLA are always required reading, as is Birds of Prey for me, as I'm a huge fan of both Gail Simone and the Huntress. The Green Lantern titles are great - I personally prefer the Corps, but they're both well worth the read. I can't really recommend the OYL Superman or Batman works (I'm still waiting for my copy of Detective to arrive, so this doesn't include that yet) as they were at best lacklustre. Same with Nightwing. Robin's a good read. I enjoyed Rucka's Wonderwoman trades, but haven't read the new stuff yet (see above). Most of Johns' Flash run was good, though some of the art is a little poor. Outsiders is good if you're ok with Judd Winick's use of real-world themes. I enjoyed Aquaman, though it is a little strange. The new Blue Beetle is pretty good.

So, there's a nice little ramble through the current DC universe in trades. Hope you can take something from it.

Jo

Don, in my opinion EVERYONE should have Identity Crisis.

More recent, however, Brad Meltzers Justice League Trade (maybe called Tornado's path?) is great. Also, the new Wonder Woman is freaking awesome!!!

I'm just catching up on the series and right now Circes is WW, and, well... It's friggin sweet! Not to mention the art is phenomenal.

My local comic book store has been out of the last issue of 52, so I'm stuck gleaning the outcome from this post. Anyone mind listing the various new 52 earths for us "out of the loop" fellas?

Earth-1: The earth we know and love. Right?

Earth-2: So is the JSA there now? Freedom Fighters? Who is there?

Earth-3: Crime Syndicate world?

Is Earth Prime back? Which Earth is Kingdom Come? Red Son?

Why only 52?

Spoil away!

Well I'm not gonna go too in depth, but off the top of my head:

Earth 16: The Question, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom

Earth 17: Knights riding White Martians?

Earth 22: Kingdom Come

No sign of Earth Prime, but it might be in there.

Earth 2 showed no pictures of the Freedom Fighters, but they WERE on another earth fighting a Nazi Superman.

Why not 52? It sounds like Red Tornado saw the 52 form & that's why it's all he can say. Also, another spoiler for ya:

Super Nova shows up... And he's not Booster? :unsure:

Anyways, that should tie you over til the next person posts.

spoilers for those still avoiding...

as i recall it Earth S and Earth X had their symbol-names turned into numbers but basically had the same content.

Earth-5 - Fawcett Marvels world

Earth-10 - Freedom Fighters world?

Earth-50 - Wildstorm universe

So I changed the title to make it more appropriate.

So, Ady, you SURE Nightwing was Jason Todd? He seems to have his own identity down in Countdown. Very interesting issue tho!! Duela was pretty cool too.

As for Wonder Woman... So remember how I said the first story arc ("Who is Wonder Woman?") rocked? Well everything since then... Not so much. As a matter of fact my brother and I were just talking and he had convinced me to drop the book unless #8 actually moved the story forward (WW has been doing you name it waste of times... Like working at a Batered Woman's shelter?). Anyways #8 changed all that! Circes resurrected Hyppolota and convinced her the world of man needs to go. So, low and behold The Amazons attack earth starting a war! :blink:

Okay, so everyone knew amazons attack was coming, but it sure livened up Wonder Woman.

So I changed the title to make it more appropriate.

So, Ady, you SURE Nightwing was Jason Todd? He seems to have his own identity down in Countdown. Very interesting issue tho!! Duela was pretty cool too.

afaik, Jason Todd filled in as Nightwing over the course of 52, and up until early One Year Later. he presumably [haven't been reading in a while] went back to the Red Hood identity after a faceoff with Nightwing. Countdown more or less takes place in the present, after OYL, and thus we find Todd in his Red Hood guise.