UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Direct Modern Flash & Martian Manhunter?

metaphorge

They need to space out their A-list heroes so the line will survive. If they released all of the major JL characters up front, the line would die out after a short while. But if they can keep us waiting for future A-listers, then you're hooked for years to come and will buy new additions all along the way. Martian Manhunter and Flash are surely on their way and will probably be out sometime in 2008. I have a feeling the reason they're releasing 1st appearance Flash now is because they will probably sneak in a whole line of other 1st appearance characters into the series over time. This gives us a chance to collect the modern DC universe, plus the 1st appearance series, and increases the longevity of the line.

What you're also getting with first appearance characters is the opportunity to build a Justice Society. We already have Power Girl and Dr Fate, Wildcat and Golden age Flash are on the way as well as Stargirl. I think it's very canny marketing on the part of DCD.

Personally, I hope they don't bring these characters again. MM isn't really that great a character, and we've had 2 Flash-es already. I have this same problem with TFs all the time, where you get something rare and then they mass release something like it, and you paid all that money for nothing. Personally I love the exclusivity of it.

I kind of find this attitude in fellow collectors reprehensible.

You should buy something because you like the item or the character it represents, not so that you have bragging rights of "I have this and you don't, haw haw haw".

Besides, it's not like the new release will be exactly the same, so you can still lord your Rare and Valuable Collectibles over others.... ;)

Personally, I hope they don't bring these characters again. MM isn't really that great a character, and we've had 2 Flash-es already. I have this same problem with TFs all the time, where you get something rare and then they mass release something like it, and you paid all that money for nothing. Personally I love the exclusivity of it.

You should buy something because you like the item or the character it represents, not so that you have bragging rights of "I have this and you don't, haw haw haw".

Besides, it's not like the new release will be exactly the same, so you can still lord your Rare and Valuable Collectibles over others.... ;)

I agree with you. I've got them, but I still don't like it that others that want them don't and I don't mind giving up two slots in the DC Series to re-make and re-release these because the DC lines have been so awesome. They're whipping Marvel's ass up and down in an old fashioned curb-stomping. I want everybody to be able to get the stuff they want.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a feeling the reason they're releasing 1st appearance Flash now is because they will probably sneak in a whole line of other 1st appearance characters into the series over time. This gives us a chance to collect the modern DC universe, plus the 1st appearance series, and increases the longevity of the line.

What you're also getting with first appearance characters is the opportunity to build a Justice Society. We already have Power Girl and Dr Fate, Wildcat and Golden age Flash are on the way as well as Stargirl. I think it's very canny marketing on the part of DCD.

We also get the Green Lantern Corps as it works its way into the line. We got Hal Jordan already. Guy Gardner and Kilowog are due out with wave 5. Add the early release John Stewart from the 2006 San Diego Comic-Con, and we already got ourselves a nice GL collection. Hell yes.

I'm hoping for an original costume Martian Manhunter and Flash. These are the most recognizable forms, especially with the exposure the characters got on the cartoon. I'm sure that they can make them different enough so that they won't 'devalue' the C3 figures anymore than Series 1 Superman devalues the throne playset one (though I wouldn't put that one the same level as the Javelin).

Not ever producing these two characters in the current series would frustrate those new to the hobby, the ones who started with the current incarnation of DC minimates. Heck, pack them together in Series 7, get them out, and get them out of the way.

Let's finish the team!

I'd love to see DCD versions of Flash and Martian Manhunter. I recently got the first three waves and those two stick out like sore thumbs - they just don't display well with the others. A modern costume MM would be pretty cool as well.

I agree with you. I've got them, but I still don't like it that others that want them don't and I don't mind giving up two slots in the DC Series to re-make and re-release these because the DC lines have been so awesome. They're whipping Marvel's ass up and down in an old fashioned curb-stomping. I want everybody to be able to get the stuff they want.

It's not about "lording rights" at all. I don't think it's fair to collectors who paid $100+ for a set, and 3 months later the two figures are released. The damand drops, and even the 2 that they still bought drop because of less demand.

It's more about economics then anything else really. Sorry if my opinion irritates you. :blink: