UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toy Karma

MisterPL

I'm a believer in toy karma. Maybe it's because I continue to regard toys as playthings rather than collectibles.

On plenty of occasions I've been shopping for that rare new figure when I see a kid looking for the same thing – a kid who'd probably faint at the sight of my collection at home – and relinquish my find to him or his parents knowing it'll make someone that much happier. Besides, I'm a vet and will probably have other opportunities to get the thing without having to plead with my parents to take me shopping on their dime.

Just last week there was a contractor in our office building putting up shelves for our receptionist. For whatever reason, he had to bring his 2-year-old son with him and the boy was getting pretty bored with the few things he'd brought. The receptionist, knowing I might be able to help, asked me if I had anything to occupy his time while his dad finished the job. She was thinking crayons and a coloring book but instead I quickly surveyed my small stash at work for something kid-friendly and offered her a Marvel Legends Thing and Juggernaut. I said, "Here's a good guy and a bad guy. He can bang these things together all morning." "Are you sure," she asked, knowing these might have some value, but I insisted. The boy ended up taking them home with my blessing. Better off in his toy box than collecting dust on my shelf at work.

My reward was two-fold. Not only did I get a case of modern Cylons I thought I'd missed out on (thanks again, Amazing.JL!) but just yesterday I was the victim of a random act of kindness by another member here. I'd been looking for a Mezco Hellboy from the movie since it came out and it proved completely elusive to me. Even after its second release, I could find every other figure BUT the one that best represented the title character. It was pretty frustrating and, as with the modern Cylon Minimates, I'd pretty much written it off. Then I get this package in the mail from my comrade The Donster and in it was the latest addition to my collection, completely unsolicited. (Thanks bunches, Don!) There are other instances as well (OmegaMatt sent me a Pocket Superheroes JLA table gratis a couple weeks back) too many to list.

I just hope toy karma is as good to these people as it's been to me so far. It's folks like these and others in the toy-collecting community that make this hobby fun. And it's those opportunities to put a smile on someone's face – often a stranger's – that make it truly rewarding.

Play nice. Have fun. Pass it on.

I'm a firm believer in toy karma. Since joining the AA boards and then this one I've been both a beneficiary and a provider of it. It's great to get things in the post. It's even better knowing you've helped someone get something really important they need for their collection.

Good thread. I, too am known for having toys at work. I recently sent a coworkers son home with a modern Corgi Batmobile. He had to get a flu shot and was quite upset about it. The Batmobile made it all good again.

I often help kids out with hard to find toys. I don't think the kids who buy toys as playthings, even fully comprehend the idea of a "chase" figure. If I have it or can get it for them, I will. I can replace these things usually and I know there is no way (at least its not likely) they are going to happen upon them while out shopping with Mom or Dad.

My toyroom/office is a thing of legend amongst the neighborhood kids. My sons give tours on occassion and its cool to see their eyes light up when they see my stash. Especially little Hulk fans. :)

Good on ya, MPL.

Toy 'Karma'............as in 'Sutra'??????????

picturesjan07028.jpg

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

But seriously, this is a lovely thread, and you've got to love a guy who keeps a stash of toys at work! :wub:

I say that is you're tired of toys then you're tired of life. and I've certainly been having some fun with my toys recently! Too bad my family doesn't share my passion for plastic, but hey, I've got a little nephew who shows terrific nerd-potential, and I'm soing all I can to nuture it!

Hey, MRPL, that Hellboy the Donster got you, that wasn't the 8" Club Mezco Exclusive was it? If it was, then you are one lucky man!

Hey, MRPL, that Hellboy the Donster got you, that wasn't the 8" Club Mezco Exclusive was it?

No, it was the plain vanilla version that had been eluding me. I do own the Previews Exclusive (really horny Hellboy). That showed up in my comic shop no problem. But thanks to all those variants of the retail version, folks were snatching them up and leaving none for MisterPL. Until now. :biggrin:

Wow, thank you MPL, this is my first opportunity to reply to thread. Trish and I ran some errands earlier and did the dinner things. Anyway, I'm glad that he arrived in a timely manner. My only regret is that I couldn't get this sooner for you. I've been on the hunt for sometime and was hoping to get it to you before the holidays. Like most here, I definately believe in toy karma. Which is probable why I like to trade or pay it forward, as I've been the receiving end of things many times. There are two members here that deserve alot of recognition for some of the things in my collection. Shanester(modest as he is) definately hooked me up back in my early days of collecting Minimates. Back when the GSXM boxset was going nuts on eBay, he gave it to me at his cost + shipping. Now he could have put it on eBay and made a killing, instead it was sent my way. For that, I will always be greatful to him. Same goes for Amazing.JL, who helped me track down the missing Peter and Stewie Series 1 Family Guy figures non grata. All that he asked in return was for me to pay it forward, "don't worry about it, pay it forward to the next guy". Those words have stuck with me, no matter what forum I'm in. The next guy would be TBT, whom I've had the pleasure of raising a glass with a few summers back.

Back in our AA days, he found a way to get some blank Minimates from AA's arsenal and made what has come to be known as Bombermate's for members and I happened to be one. I think my number is 30(back me up on this TBT)? But it's the one Minimate I will never open up and once my room is ready, will be in a place of honor. Of course, there are a few unsung heroes as well and I apologize for not naming everyone, but I don't want to bore everyone. At the moment, I'm still trying to pay it forward and spread a little karma(toy or otherwise). My most recent crusade has been with a few members of AFT's Marketplace, who are sending a few care packages toward a member who had open heart surgery yesterday and I pray is resting comfortable in a hospital room as we speak. If I can offer any sage advice gang, take AJL's advice and pay it forward. Remember, paying it forward is simple. All you have to do is remember these simple things. Don't pay it forward for the recognition, but because it brings joy to someone else. Alot of folks seem to mess up that last part and expect to be immediately rewarded for their actions. All of the actions above were done selflessly and that's what collecting should be all about. Not for the monetary value of things or the instant self gratification. While I appreciate the kind words from MPL, it wasn't necessary. Since I know if the roles were reversed, you would do the same thing for me.

Wow, thank you MPL, this is my first opportunity to reply to thread. Trish and I ran some errands earlier and did the dinner things. Anyway, I'm glad that he arrived in a timely manner. My only regret is that I couldn't get this sooner for you. I've been on the hunt for sometime and was hoping to get it to you before the holidays. Like most here, I definately believe in toy karma. Which is probable why I like to trade or pay it forward, as I've been the receiving end of things many times. There are two members here that deserve alot of recognition for some of the things in my collection. Shanester(modest as he is) definately hooked me up back in my early days of collecting Minimates. Back when the GSXM boxset was going nuts on eBay, he gave it to me at his cost + shipping. Now he could have put it on eBay and made a killing, instead it was sent my way. For that, I will always be greatful to him. Same goes for Amazing.JL, who helped me track down the missing Peter and Stewie Series 1 Family Guy figures non grata. All that he asked in return was for me to pay it forward, "don't worry about it, pay it forward to the next guy". Those words have stuck with me, no matter what forum I'm in. The next guy would be TBT, whom I've had the pleasure of raising a glass with a few summers back.

Back in our AA days, he found a way to get some blank Minimates from AA's arsenal and made what has come to be known as Bombermate's for members and I happened to be one. I think my number is 30(back me up on this TBT)? But it's the one Minimate I will never open up and once my room is ready, will be in a place of honor. Of course, there are a few unsung heroes as well and I apologize for not naming everyone, but I don't want to bore everyone. At the moment, I'm still trying to pay it forward and spread a little karma(toy or otherwise). My most recent crusade has been with a few members of AFT's Marketplace, who are sending a few care packages toward a member who had open heart surgery yesterday and I pray is resting comfortable in a hospital room as we speak. If I can offer any sage advice gang, take AJL's advice and pay it forward. Remember, paying it forward is simple. All you have to do is remember these simple things. Don't pay it forward for the recognition, but because it brings joy to someone else. Alot of folks seem to mess up that last part and expect to be immediately rewarded for their actions. All of the actions above were done selflessly and that's what collecting should be all about. Not for the monetary value of things or the instant self gratification. While I appreciate the kind words from MPL, it wasn't necessary. Since I know if the roles were reversed, you would do the same thing for me.

Yeah, ol' Shanester hooked me up with the GSXM set too. If not for him, I would've quit. He also got me John Stewart, and some others. Heck, I think he got me PM/IF! He's a great guy. Just don't look at his Hulk. He's protective.

• 2 months later...

Some of you might remember that when I got my case of Cylons, one was missing its codpiece. No biggie. But Shanester remembered and offered to send me one of his. It was kind of awkward trying to explain to MrsPL what was in the package when it arrived this afternoon. "A Cylon crotch?" She's familiar enough with BSG to know that I might have been referring to the skinjobs. When I showed her she just shook her head at the silly man smiling as he completed a toy robot.

Anyway, Shane's definitely got some good toy Karma coming his way. Thanks for thinking of me!

Toy Karma is a cool topic and I think a direct result of places just like this.

You see someone post a few times, maybe they make you laugh, maybe they have a kick ass custom, and you think "hey this guy is just like me" It develops a true community, where one may have not existed before. So when we form these friendships we think...yea i wanna help these guys out.

In return, it comes back to you. and that is very cool.

I know I have had some cool toy karma happen to me, and in return I hope I have given some people some good toy karma as well.

I know I wouldn't have half of the minimates I have without the help of my online plastic crack addicts.

now if anyone needs any bsg mates, let me know I have an extra 2 sets. :)