UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Has ANYONE ever rec'd a VARIANT from AFX?

I pre-ordered several multiples of each set of the new series' mates from AFX, in order to increase my chances of receiving at least one of the variants; so far in 2 shipments (one still to come) I have received NO variant.

Just wondering if ordering through AFX hoping to get a variant is a trick-bag; Do they open all the cases and keep all the variants for themselves to sell at their huge variant mark-up???

Has anyone EVER received a variant from AFX just by ordering one or more sets in a "normal" order (ie: without paying their increased price and specifically ordering the variant)?

I know they have the disclaimer that you can't "request" specific sets (meaning variant or not) but I still expected them to play fair. (Am I kidding myself there?)

And, how many variants are released? Is it one per case? And if so, what does a 'case' consist of: the display box that holds 12 boxes of 'mates, or the larger cardboard box with all the display boxes in it?

('cuz if its the display box, I definitely should have rec'd a variant!)

Figured someone has some inside info on this stuff...

I've only ordered a full set from them once and I got a variant. When the SF2 series 1 minimates were scheduled, I pre-ordered 4 full sets of 3. So if they were packaged 12 to a case like most minimates, I ordered the equivalent of a case. I ended up with one variant.

And, how many variants are released? Is it one per case? And if so, what does a 'case' consist of: the display box that holds 12 boxes of 'mates, or the larger cardboard box with all the display boxes in it?

('cuz if its the display box, I definitely should have rec'd a variant!)

Figured someone has some inside info on this stuff...

One box of the varant in each case. All other sets are non-variant.

I ordered 3 sets of each, not realizing that if I just went ahead & ordered 4, I would (theoretically) be sure to recieve the variant. Wonder if I can up my Qty. before the next one comes out (my pre-order is already on file).

As for shipping, because I ordered them all at the same time on the same order#, I only pay one shipping; they don't charge any extra for each release (which is good, b/c the shipping I paid for the first shipment WAS hefty).

Shanester, to answer your question, I was just hoping to get the variant for each new wave being released (I'm assuming one for each new "set" as usual). If you have an extra to sell, I'd be interested.

Thanks for the input gang, now I know what to order in the future!

I got the variant for the first Buffy PalZ series from AFX... I was shocked...

Though, it did take me forever to find the regular, non-variant figure on eBay because I didn't want to spend a small fortune on a non-variant...

Oh...and xVashx...thanks for the awesome trade!

Don't know if you saw my +1, but I got that sucker in only 2 days, unbelievable. Hope mine got there as fast!

Thanks again :D

I never have and that's why I don't often order from them anymore.

I don't order because of the hugemongous shipping fees... If they could get those down a bit, I'd pick up more stuff from them.

Way I look at it, I can generally get a case of 'mates from the LCS for about $80 and have some spares, or order a set on-line for around $20 and try to track down a variant of the ole eBay and then pay shipping on top of all of that...

• 3 months later...

I've only ever ordered 1 set from AFX, and I did get a variant. I forget what series number it was... The one with Spider-Woman, and Sandman, and Black Cat and whatnot. I got the Black Spider-Woman.

HOWEVER, She turned out to be one of those infamous leg-snappers we hear so much about. Broke the day I got her. I e-mailed them about a replacement, and they, more substituted than replaced it with a normal Spider-Woman set.

HOWEVER, luckily, I already HAD a Black Spider-Woman which I got at wizard world, so it wasn't really MY figure I broke. So I wasn't too broken up about it. It was really the Spider-Carnage I wanted in the 1st place. And low and behold, I ended up with two. (I figured, I buy a set, get my figure, and sell the spares on ebay. They were still new at the time, so it wasn't hard to turn a profit, or break even if nothing else, and heck, I get a shot at a variant... which I got. So yay!) SO, I ended up repairing the broken Spider-Woman and selling her off loose for a hefty profit. I ALSO sold all the other spare figures as well, for icing on the cake, save my Spider-Carnage.

So yay.

(PS. What happened was the Peg in her knee joint split clean in the middle. I popped it out with a poker, and replaced it with a non-broken peg from a random mate, I forget who, and she was fixed. It was plain white, so I want to say it was from an Emma... Just incase you wondered.)

But yes, I did get a variant in the one set I ordered.