UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

An Ambitious First-Timer

Alpheon

Hey, guys. I need your assistance. I'm starting a massive project in January: Making two relatively identical sets of 32 custom minimates. A large, not to mention ambitious project for a thirteen year-old, I know, but it's for a friend and I; so hear me out, ok? I need to buy 64 minimates as custom fodder, and the cheapest I can find (without being at all picky about base colors) would be buying 16 SFII 4-Packs at Toys R Us for approximately $160 USD. Or, buying double that amount of 2-Packs of SFII 'mates at my local GameCrazy for the same price. I'd rather go with the 4-Packs, they're better quality.

This is the help I need from you: do you know a better, CHEAPER way to get some custom fodder? Preferably not on the internet, but I'll accept that advice too. The only way I can probably get any Mini's cheaper would be if Toys R Us has a Minimates clearence sale, like that's going to happen. Anyway, I would also like (if you can) the standard retail US price for these items:

Milliput

Citadel Paints

Airbrush

Paint brushes (#05 and #03)

Sculpting tools

Scotchbrite abrasive pads

Frisket tac paper (decal paper)

Needle files

Grey primer paint

Testors mat finishing spray

Craft wire

0.200″ diameter styrene plastic tubing

Full sheet labels that are color printer friendly

This is a huge project. Thanks for your help; it is greatly appreciated.

Can I ask WHAT you could possibly need 64 minimates for?

Well, my friend Richard and I are working on a trilogy of graphic novels. I write the scripts--with some creative advice from him--and he illustrates, with some character design from me. So far I've only completed the first fifty-page script, and I'm starting on the second one. Anyway, we love our own characters, and for years have dreamed about Minimates of them. I was originally going to hire a customizer on the board to do this project, but that would be too complicated, so I decided to do it myself. It just so happens that there are 32 characters I think would make good Minimates, and I think we would each need a set. I thought I could present to him the new script with a set of 32 Minimates to go with it on his birthday in April, which is the day before mine. :)

$2-3 for a bottle of Citadel is about the average price.

Can't find the receipt, but I'd say between $3-5 for the Testors Spray, be it the finish coat or primer. There's probably a better primer though, as I'm not too impressed with its performance for me. I've gone back to using a light colored paint as the undercoat, which has worked pretty well for me.

As for milliput, I wouldn't mind knowing where exactly I can find it.

32 customs by April may be a pretty daunting task. Hope you're up for the challenge. I know I can shell out a great many in a row, but then again, I have no life. :)

32 customs by April may be a pretty daunting task. Hope you're up for the challenge. I know I can shell out a great many in a row, but then again, I have no life. :)

Actually, it's 64. And trust me, I'm a homeschooled 13 year-old. I. Have. No. Life. :lol:

As for the challenge, I hope so too, Dragon. I hope so too. :)

Actually, it's 64. And trust me, I'm a homeschooled 13 year-old. I. Have. No. Life. :lol:

As for the challenge, I hope so too, Dragon. I hope so too. :)

I have a homeschooled friend, so I can support him here. If you're anything like her, you have no life, and nothing to do all day. So 64 customs may be doable. I'm working on my 1st custom now. It is ok looking, but a REALLY easy design. I'll reveal him soon.

Milliput has three different grades I use the "base" type but they also make fine and super fine grades the type I buy goes for about $8.00 the super fine and fine I think go for a dollar and 2 dollars more I've been able to get it at any hobby shop except Hobby Lobby one box off the stuff goes a long way best of luck with your project!

If possible, I also need 2 3-Inchers to complete our sets. I have none. If you would be willing to sell 2 or 3, PM me or post here. I would actually PREFER non-MIB conglomerates. Just any hairpieces and 3-inch loose pieces put together as a body is what I'd like. Because if they're new and complete, I'll be too tempted to keep them as figures rather then use them as custom fodder. :)

Because if they're new and complete, I'll be too tempted to keep them as figures rather then use them as custom fodder. :)

You'd be surprised how quickly you can get over that self-restraint. Many Rock Minimates have died over the past week or so, all MIB until I got my hands on them.

Yeah, well that would actually be very true with me especially because I can't STAND the Rock star Minimates. Why? Because I also can't STAND Rock music. Don't take it personally... :blush:

Also, Progress Report 1:

I just got back from TRU and found the SFII 4-Packs jacked up at $12.99!! They obviously now won't work as custom fodder... :angry2:

However, at Tar-Jey the Darktide packs were cut down to $9.99. Just wish I had bought them in Napa when I saw them for $3.74...

Yeah, well that would actually be very true with me especially because I can't STAND the Rock star Minimates. Why? Because I also can't STAND Rock music.

Aww man, are mine broken? I can't seem to get them to play any music at all. Completely silent. Never make a sound. What am I doing wrong? Is there a little button somewhere? Are the batteries dead? :D:P

What does the Ozzy Minimate say? "I, am, Ironman! Da-nuh na-nuh na-nuh-nuh. Vote for me!"

just wish I had bought them in Napa when I saw them for $3.74...

Sure enough... I never pass up cheap Minimates. Never! $3.00 for a 2-pack is heaven for me, but $3.74 for four... Damn!

Good luck on your project. It's pretty ambitious. It took me a year to make 35 Minis for commissions... 64 figures? No thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I need some more help. Your support in this project is EXTREMELY appreciated. :)

I need to know this: what program best handles and creates Custom Control Art? I was hoping to make one in whatever program that is, and copy then paste it into this form from Lurch77:

Minimates Customs Form

Also, how do I use that form? "Using it" being writing in and pasting Control Art. As you can see, I'm sort of lost here. :blink::D

print a hard copy and do it the old fashioned way or I use photoshop for that but I imagine you could just as easy turn it into a bitmap and work it from there without having a photoshop type program I've seen something mentioned called "the gimp" I don't know where to find it but I'm led to believe its similar to photoshop Hope this helps.

Seriously guys, I appreciate the help. Thanks, I am just being wayy too picky. You see, the joints on the backs of Minimates' legs are different then they are in front, and that was the look I wanted, but I see now that it REALLY doesn't matter. After all, it's just the control art, and as long as I don't have some sort of design that depends upon that joint, I'll be ok. Thanks guys! :)

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out, this thread is becoming more and more a Q&A from me to you customizers out there. I hope that's ok. :)

What is the best modelling stuff out there for customizing Minimates? Green Stuff? Milliput? Super Sculpey? I know I'm going to get differing opinions on that one, but I'd like to hear your arguments either way.

How do you guys do fine details? By "fine details", I mean pretty much anything on the Minimates other than the base color itself.

^I was wondering, would an ultra fine Sharpie work if I sealed it with paint sealer just like every thing else?

How often do you use decals? And what for? What Photo Editor program do you use to create them?

Last but not least, faces. HOW are they made so perfectly? :P

Thank you folks. I really really appreciate this. And thank you for your time and consideration. :)

Ok, another thing: I need 26 capes. Demitri capes. I was originally going for Sentry's, then JL Batman's, but they were too hard to find and too expensive. Unfortunatley, due to my age and position at home I don't think I can flea market with anyone here on the board, so does anyone know where I could find a large number of either just the capes, or a ton of loose Demitri's? It'd be WONDERFUL if anyone could help. Thanks.