UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ok so I bought some Citadel paints. In the set I got I had issues with a couple of the individual paints. Firstly, the white I got didn't seem to be sealed right so it's all chunky. Is there anything I can do to salvage some of it like add water or anything? Or should I just chuck it? Secondly, my gold came the opposite way, totally watery. Can I fix that or no?

Next, what is some advice for removing paints from minimate parts? I have used goof off in the past to remove tampos but what it you want to remove the paint from a hairpiece? Are they molded in that color plastic or can it be removed? For example I want to recolor mystique's hair from the days of future past box set. I know it can be a pain to paint over reddish colors. So is there an option to strip the color off first? Thanks in advance!

Stripping the paint never works, because the plastic is molded in the color.

What I would recommend is picking up a primer. You can either get get a paint on primer or a spray primer, both have pros and cons, and citadel provides both.

Paint differences (your paint will have these three options on them, it will let you know what you have - or need)

Wash - this is to fill in and darken regular paint, it gives it that extra layer, or fills in to show depth (would be hard to utilize on mates I would think)

Dry - this paint is very hard to work with, as it is very think, used for accents basically

Base/layer - this is what you need. This will cover nicely, and it will work best in tandem with a primer

I hope this helps, if I had more time I would bust out my paints, and create a tutorial, I used to be huge into customizing marvel universe figures, and learned a lot by trial and error with citadel paints.

I'm sure I read somewhere than you can add a bit of paint thinner to chunky paint, and shake thoroughly to get rid of the chunks.

Not sure about the thin old however.

Some waves did use clear plastic on hairpieces, I know She-Hulk and Lady Loki's are clear underneath. So the paint can be striped off, so that might be worth checking out before trying to paint over them.

Hope my rambling was in some way helpful.

A trick that might help you determine if a part is painted or not is to look at the inside of where it connects to the rest of the figure. For example, for arms check the inside of the shoulder socket as that area won't be painted (usually). Same for hair/helmet pieces. Look on the inside and if its painted you'll see some slight overspray along the edges and the base plastic color inside where the peg is. This is most noticable on things like the Iron Man helmets which are usually molded in a red or gray plastic then painted.