UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Important: i, Robot Minimates

As I have not seen the movie, nor do I have much insight into the toy making process, I can only make an opinion of limited weight.

In regards to the prices listed above, I think they sound fair and the math works well. The transport might be a bit steep for my taste, but you have to go with what works as far as production cost, etc. Just keep in mind the lessons we've learned before. The $85 generic display stand had to drop in price to $25 just to be marketable. The Batcave didn't sell too well (though that may have more to do with the shoddy construction than the $50 tag). I think my point is to make sure the price tag offers a happy balance between production cost, functionality, and profit.

As for production runs, I have no idea what numbers to go with. Obviously, if 5000 units couldn't sell a year after the cult classic LotR movies finished, then I don't see the same numbers moving for I, Robot 3 or so years after the fact. I didn't think Kellogg's had much of a following, but there must have been enough interest to warrant that license. Again, keep the numbers high enough where your target consumer can get their fill, but at the same time low enough where you don't lose more than you can take in.

As for detail and scale, keep it as close to the norm as possible. For your robots, you may want to sculpt more detailed parts, but your humans should be 2" with no fancy details as far as face, etc goes. By making all licenses a uniform scale and design, it allows the different lines to mesh better, which in my opinion adds to marketability.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for your comments. It is appreciated.

We will be doing them in 2" format.

The vehicles will be in a super deformed style.

We think the idea of spliting VIKI into few pieces into different products sounds like a good idea and will look into it or have her as an exclusive.

For the general 5-pack, we are thinking now:

Sonny, NS-4, Spooner, Dr. Calvin, Dr Lanning

We think these characters are more recognizable once displayed and what movie goers/general buyers might buy. However we might place some of the others in as exclusives. ( I do not beleive that Robertson was an actual character in the books and sort of generic and minor in the movie?)

Reviewing Transport Carrier with just 5 evil NS-5s to reduce cost and offer a 5-pack of evil NS-5s. As you can always put 5 NS-4s instead.

Based on above, looking at making NS-4s, swat police and military police in 5-packs where for the police ones to contain 4 + one exclusive Spooner or NS-5 police or something.

Look to come out with the general 5-pack first follow by the 2 vehicles and then the misc 5-packs builders. Production schedule permitting, starting off with the general 5-pack for March release.

Pricing and quantity on all are to be confirmed. Though it might be difficult to get into mass market, who knows. (We might market some of these as limited to 2,000 units worlwide but might produce less base on preorder demands.)

You guys been a great help. Cheers!

Gotta say, when I first commented I was under the impression that you were just considering doing these ... I did not know that it was pretty much set.

I really like your approach of contacting the fans first. See how they feel and go on from there. As you can tell, there are die-hard MiniMates fans who try and support the line whenever they can. Keeping the cost down for them will be a great way to make sure this line does well.

I definitely like the idea of 4-packs vs. 5-packs. Again, to keep the price down.

Another good point: Take it slow. Release 1 set and see how it goes. Like how DST is doing Battlestar Galactica ... they are releasing a "preview" wave of single-pack Cylons.

And if you are able to get these out that quickly ... WOW! That would be incredible.

Be sure to post concept art here when it is ready ... the good folks here will be sure to comment / critique.

Best of luck!

Xybot

Based on above, looking at making NS-4s, swat police and military police in 5-packs where for the police ones to contain 4 + one exclusive Spooner or NS-5 police or something.

Ah, I like that variation on army building -- perhaps you could have three different variants that come with 4 police each. Of course, this would tick off the completist collectors who aren't also army builders... hmm.

Ivan -- I hear ya buddy, I hear ya. But we've got to adapt to the changing social norms and move on with life. ;) (Kids these days just don't know...)

I'll third the request to see Minimate or vehicle control art/sketches. And thanks PopBox for taking the time to ask the fans - I hope we were helpful and I'm looking forward to March. Best of the luck with the rest of the process!

*edit* I just realized that AA is going to be handling the design of the line so the control art, if it was to be released, would have to be released by them, right?

I think control of the control art lays in the hands of the person or entity that holds the license, correct? In the past, AA hasn't been able to really show control art without clearing it with all the links in the chain, have they? If this is the case, then who's to say we couldn't see something before its official.

I think doing vehicles in a super-deformed style is a great idea. That would match well with the aesthetics of minimates - cute, without being TOO blocky. Lego does blocky, and they do it well, so let them do their thing, and use that to your advantage by offering something unique in the marketplace.

Wow.

This series will be included in the great ideas vault of Art Asylum Minimates. Filed along with unposeable resin Maximates, Minimates Resin Displays, and Cereal Mates. Keep up the good work! :rolleyes:

You've almost completely killed off my desire and memory of a Thor minimate.

Though everyone is entitled to an opinion, that does seem a bit harsh. This isn't Diamond Select approaching us with this idea, it's an outside entity that hasn't delved into this realm before. Personally, though I'm not sure if this property is still marketable so long after the movie, I'm glad to see more companies looking into the minimate world. And the idea is a fresh, somewhat different approach to what we've seen before. Since its an outside source with the idea, I say go for it. If it was Diamond Select coming here saying "We're going to delay Marvel again so we can do this idea instead" then I'd be more hesitant to get on board. At least this way, we're getting minimates from a much cooler movie than a half naked Sylverster Stallone in various forms of boxing attire.

Sounds interesting.

I have never seen the movie, so I can't comment on the characters.

I think some of the multi-packs have a lot of potential; people here have been wanting generic/army builders like police officers and the like - it sounds like some of those options will meet that desire.

The property isn't very 'visible' now - there are no big events around it. This usually means that higher-end items, like your busts, can still break even; however, other items (such as the minimates) will have a big challenge without a major push from somewhere.

Keep in mind that this site is the 'vocal minority' in terms of sales; the community here can give you a lot of good input, but we are not the ones that will do the majority of the purchasing - you need to sell to those 'normal' people ;)

I've got to echo Kirby on this one. We've got what, thirty, maybe forty die-hards on this forum. Folks who will buy these just because they're Minimates. That's a fairly small percentage of the production runs you've cited. I have no idea on the size of the I, Robot fanbase, but it seems to me a niche market. Block figure collectors are also a niche market. My guess is the union of these sets is smaller yet.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing these, and any pre-production art, concepts, or information you'd like to share. ;) I'll be buying because, well because they're Minimates. :)

Ivan -- I hear ya buddy, I hear ya. But we've got to adapt to the changing social norms and move on with life. ;) (Kids these days just don't know...)

Aww, never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. I think I've just descovered what I'm revolting against. :D

I think if they can get Police Officers etc out people will buy those just to get them rather than because of the actual license. That said, I think a Will Smith Minimate would rock some serious bells.

I await to see what Pop Box come up with with interest. The best of luck to you regarding the license from Minimates Central :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mild update, but at the recent Asian Toys Expo in Hong Kong Popbox had a booth showing off their various upcoming I, Robot pieces including some very early art/details of the Minimate side of things and folks over at Macrossworld have some shots. Trying to get better photos from Minimate stuff, but in all honesty it looks more a I-men figure, the post, shape of hips and makes me wonder if they were trying for I-men through Toynami first...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=20974