UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New York City

Jatta Pake

I think that Midtown Comics (which is at about 40th and 8th? I think?) is probably the closest. Personally, my favorite shop in NYC is Jim Hanley's Universe, which is right across from the Empire State Building on 34th st (or maybe it's 33rd... look, I'm not from New York, what do you want?).

There are two Midtowns. One is across town by Grand Central. Smaller, only one floor, but still lots of comics. The Times Square one is a beauty.

Forbidden Planet near Union Square is a classic, and worth a visit. Haven't seen their new space, though.

Book Off on 45th has a few bookshelves full of used trades and comics, plus a manga section downstairs, English and Japanese.

Manhattan Comics on 23rd is small, but pretty well-stocked.

If you're looking for toys, the Times Square TRU is actually pretty incredible, and the last time I was there, they had a lot of old, unsold TRU exclusive MM sets.

FAO Schwarz is actually right at Central Park South, and they have a Midtown Comics mini-store! But two weeks ago I only found one peg of ASM mates.

Edited by Zach Oat

Remember that Manhatten streets are very long between the Avenues (like 7th to 8th avenue) and short between the streets (like 33rd to 34th street). Getting from Midtown Comics to Jim Handley's is actually a pretty short walk; getting to Forbidden Planet from JHU is more of a haul. What I usually do when I'm in midtown is hit, well, Midtown, and TRU and JMU. That's all pretty reasonable. When I tried to add in FP, it was a bit too much (though the Strand is also down that way).

I think that Midtown Comics (which is at about 40th and 8th? I think?) is probably the closest. Personally, my favorite shop in NYC is Jim Hanley's Universe, which is right across from the Empire State Building on 34th st (or maybe it's 33rd... look, I'm not from New York, what do you want?).

I bought my first ever minimates in Jim Hanley's Universe. It was the Ultimate X-Men wave (4?)

That shop has a special place in my heart.